Soccer yea, or nay?

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Liverpool v. Man U in south carolina on August 3.

The last time I went to a club friendly it was boca juniors v. One of the Mexican clubs in 2002 in houston. That was a spectacle because of the numbers of Mexican fans.

I don't have a dog in this, but I don't mind going for fun. However....will it be worth a darn or just going through the motions trying to survive the heat?

Yes...I'm bored of tipping around the politics thread(s).

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If it was a little closer I'd go. I'm a huge Liverpool fan, hence my handle here. Man U is our biggest rival. That being said it will be a friendly with a lot fringe players taking part for both sides.

TheDawgSaint

Jan 18, 2021
I’m an EPL guy so it’s an easy yes for me! I really considered going to see City in Orlando, but backed out a few weeks ago.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Episode 12 Sport GIF by Wrexham AFC

Reactions: Darryl Steight

patdog

May 28, 2007
It’s a preseason match. You’ll probably see the starters play a half & then a bunch of subs. But if it’s nearby, it’s worth going to if tickets are reasonable. You can see the quality of the passing much better live than on tv. But it won’t be like a real competitive match.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I clicked on thinking this was a poll on whether you like soccer or not. While I'm here I'll say I've never been able to get into it but I respect the passion the players and fans have for the game. I've watched some Peruvian games with Peruvian friends and enjoyed that only because of the company I watched with. Been to TMS to see my only NASCAR race and had a 17in Blast but never been a "real" fan kinda like soccer.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

af102

May 17, 2009
The prices for these preseason friendlies are usually ridiculous, so I never go to them. However, I have Atlanta United season tickets and get my fill of live soccer already.

Because Euros and Copa America were this summer, the guys that played in those are likely to still be in summer recovery/early preseason. Teams usually give them 2-3 weeks extra off since they didn’t get to start their summer like everyone else. With the game being in August, you’ll get a half with normal starters, and then maybe 20-30 mins of the guys I mentioned above.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It’s a preseason match. You’ll probably see the starters play a half & then a bunch of subs. But if it’s nearby, it’s worth going to if tickets are reasonable. You can see the quality of the passing much better live than on tv. But it won’t be like a real competitive match.
I just saw the initial 28 man squad. There are only 6 guys who are regulars on it, if you count Jones, Elliot, Endo, and Tsmakis. Salah and Sobazli are the only real stars. The guys that were in the knock out stages of the Euros and the Copa aren't in it. Some will
Probably be added as the US tour progresses.

Reactions: patdog

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020
Went to the Arsenal vs United game in New Jersey last year. If you go, try to sit in the supporters section, it made a big difference in the atmosphere for me. But expect to see very few starters playing together, if at all, or anyone who played into the Euros knockout rounds. It's also a chance to see the team's new kit if that's of any interest.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I have MLB TV and often watch my Mets with the condensed games option. That is the only way I could watch soccer. I like in Welcome to Wrexham. My wife is hilarious in that she cheers for the goals and commiserates on the missed shots or opponent goals.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login