Softball beating Troy 12-1

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've tried to like it. I've been to games at The Nusz probably 3x now and watched them and others on TV occasionally. The moment teams start those choreographed dances, chants and cheers in the dugout like a 6yr old powder puff team I start losing interest, it's hard to take it seriously with that going on. I expect the team Mom to start passing out juice boxes, snacks and participation trophies any time I hear that

Reactions: patdog and dog12

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I've tried to like it. I've been to games at The Nusz probably 3x now and watched them and others on TV occasionally. The moment teams start those choreographed dances, chants and cheers in the dugout like a 6yr old powder puff team I start losing interest, it's hard to take it seriously with that going on. I expect the team Mom to start passing out juice boxes, snacks and participation trophies any time I hear that
Agree.

The constant loud cheering is intolerable.

Why is it a part of softball culture?

If I was a softball coach, I'd take a stand and tell my players we're not going to do that. We can cheer when something good happens, but we won't be doing chants and cheers constantly throughout the game.

I would bet the majority of players feel the same way, but cave in to the few loudmouth constant cheerers on the team.

But, then again, I'm "old school" and don't know anything. Now, get off my lawn!

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Agree.

The constant loud cheering is intolerable.

Why is it a part of softball culture?

If I was a softball coach, I'd take a stand and tell my players we're not going to do that. We can cheer when something good happens, but we won't be doing chants and cheers constantly throughout the game.

I would bet the majority of players feel the same way, but cave in to the few loudmouth constant cheerers on the team.

But, then again, I'm "old school" and don't know anything. Now, get off my lawn!
I think that was part of their culture to get 'attention', or at least separate their sport. We'll have to see what happens after they've gotten attention for a while. Take a look at where college and pro football were ten years ago. I'm not comparing softball to football but looking at the possible cultural changes. A team might come along with that wins and never makes all that noise.

Reactions: dog12

patdog

May 28, 2007
Me too. Haven't been to any live games, but I've tried to watch a few on TV. All the cheering from the dugout is unbearable. I didn't even really like the bench mop bullcrap the baseball team did. That was too much. Softball is a lot worse.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Me too. Haven't been to any live games, but I've tried to watch a few on TV. All the cheering from the dugout is unbearable. I didn't even really like the bench mop bullcrap the baseball team did. That was too much. Softball is a lot worse.
It's louder on tv. Never notice it much at the games. Game moves so fast to even think about it. Plus, I figure all the old guys on here can't hear anyway. My wife claims I'm deaf.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I think the chanting and cheers primarily emerged as a result of the small crowds attending games. I've attended a lot of games at Nusz and hardly notice it. Hey, if that is what it takes to get the team to play harder then the baseball team needs to start employing it. They look like they were forced to take the field or bat.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
If you went to the SEC gymnastics championship you wouldn’t survive. I was in legit sensory overload. Music was booming and there were lights everywhere like it was a club the entire time. All of the girls were going nuts, both on the teams and in the crowd. But all of my daughters loved every minute of it.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
I think the chanting and cheers primarily emerged as a result of the small crowds attending games. I've attended a lot of games at Nusz and hardly notice it. Hey, if that is what it takes to get the team to play harder then the baseball team needs to start employing it. They look like they were forced to take the field or bat.
It's a softball thing

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Speaking of softball, go check out Oklahomas new stadium they opened yesterday. Holds about 5000 and is the Dudy Noble of softball.
And it's named after a truck stop.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login