Softball Rule question

00dog

May 19, 2021
Does anyone know the rule regarding where a batter is allowed to stand while striking the ball?

I've noticed several AZ batters with their front foot partially outside the batter's box when striking the ball. One AZ batter had her foot far outside the batter's box, touching, or nearly touching home plate when striking the ball. The ump's not calling it, and our coach isn't questioning it, so I assume it's all legal.

Does it even matter where your feet are as long as you are in the box when the pitcher releases the ball?

The game has gotten out of hand, but I'm just curious about the rule ...

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Does anyone know the rule regarding where a batter is allowed to stand while striking the ball?

I've noticed several AZ batters with their front foot partially outside the batter's box when striking the ball. One AZ batter had her foot far outside the batter's box, touching, or nearly touching home plate when striking the ball. The ump's not calling it, and our coach isn't questioning it, so I assume it's all legal.

Does it even matter where your feet are as long as you are in the box when the pitcher releases the ball?

As far as I know they should be in the batters box when striking the ball. If they are outside the batters box and strike the ball they're supposed to be out. I haven't been paying attention to Arizona doing this or not and I'm not sure whether that would make a difference in today's game.

00dog

May 19, 2021
The one where the batter is on, or at the edge of the plate, was an obvious outside the batter's box, but I have to think it's legal because our coach never questioned it. The others I referred to were where probably on the toes or ball of the foot was outside. Like I said, just curious about the rule. Softball exceeded my expectations. Too bad they couldn't win one at home.

fieldcorporal

Nov 1, 2010
The rule as of a couple of years ago when I was calling, I don't think it has changed: If the batters foot is COMPLETELY out of the box when the ball is struck then out. if on the line even just a little bit, then ok. The problem with calling this is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer...

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Not sure the exact rule, but my understanding is it’s got to be very obvious or it won’t get called because the umps main focus is the pitch, calling ball or strike. And it’s even worse if the batters box is actual chalk because it will get messed up during the game.

Aug 23, 2012
The batter must have one foot out completely out of the batter's box for it to be called. That means if jut the little toe or heel is touching chalk, it is legal.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
It's no longer an out. It's a strike or result of the play on a delayed dead ball. Obviously on strike 3 it's an out.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
What about slap bunts?

I thought they were out of the box when they did that? Can they not do that anymore or am I miss remembering? I don’t know much, and even less about softball

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login