Some comments on the trucker rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
These are all over the board so you may agree with one and disagree with another. That is OK, you are safe here and you have time to sort thru the confusion of only agreeing with part of something.
All these comments are accurate. There are no lies or deception, which I know is a rarity.

- 90% of truck drivers in Canada are vaccinated. The vax protest movement is a collection of the vocal minority.

- The vaccine mandate is for drivers who cross into the US. Unvaccinated drivers would have to quarantine for 14 days after coming back into Canada. This mandate doesnt affect drivers who run intra-Canada.

- 1 in 5 truck drivers in Canada is South Asian(think Indian/Pakistani). In Toronto and Vancouver, that jumps up to almost 50%. These numbers are expected to increase in the coming years.

- A large % of cross-border freight is run by South Asian drivers.

- South Asians are a very rare sight at the 'freedom convoy'. Multiple articles I have read as well as industry reports show there is little interest among South Asians because they are largely vaccinated and the rally is seen as a right wing anti-vaxxer protest.

- There is a driver shortage in Canada, just like there is a driver shortage in the US. Industry analysis shows millennials and genZ are not as interested in driving a truck for a living. That is the same for Canada as the US.

- Instead of talking about road safety, parking, border crossing delays, access to restrooms and showers, etc...a vaccination is what protesters have decided to use this opportunity to try to change. A vaccination that 90% of their colleagues took before there was even a quarantine mandate. They could push for incentives to bring in new drivers or push for laws to change payment delays, or any number of things that frustrate and hurt the industry.

- Truck drivers have never been good at protesting. Well, since deregulation they havent been good at protesting. They are a loose knit group of contract workers and independent contractors who have differing needs, concerns, and goals. Ultimately if they dont work, they arent paid so there has continually been a lot of talk and very little action since action typically means no revenue. Apparently there may be a US caravan from CA to DC at the end of the month. If history is any indicator, the caravan will not be nearly as effective as participants hope and there will be varied goals which will reduce effectiveness.

Lets say the vocal minority 'wins' in Canada. Then what? They go right back to a job that many complain about because of low wages, tough working conditions, dangerous roads, and poor contracts.
Here is an opinion of mine instead of more stats- they are missing the opportunity to create real improvement in their industry.
Oh, and this is MSU sports related because trucks move MSU athletic apparel all over the country and continent.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
These are all over the board so you may agree with one and disagree with another. That is OK, you are safe here and you have time to sort thru the confusion of only agreeing with part of something.
All these comments are accurate. There are no lies or deception, which I know is a rarity.

- 90% of truck drivers in Canada are vaccinated. The vax protest movement is a collection of the vocal minority.

- The vaccine mandate is for drivers who cross into the US. Unvaccinated drivers would have to quarantine for 14 days after coming back into Canada. This mandate doesnt affect drivers who run intra-Canada.

- 1 in 5 truck drivers in Canada is South Asian(think Indian/Pakistani). In Toronto and Vancouver, that jumps up to almost 50%. These numbers are expected to increase in the coming years.

- A large % of cross-border freight is run by South Asian drivers.

- South Asians are a very rare sight at the 'freedom convoy'. Multiple articles I have read as well as industry reports show there is little interest among South Asians because they are largely vaccinated and the rally is seen as a right wing anti-vaxxer protest.

- There is a driver shortage in Canada, just like there is a driver shortage in the US. Industry analysis shows millennials and genZ are not as interested in driving a truck for a living. That is the same for Canada as the US.

- Instead of talking about road safety, parking, border crossing delays, access to restrooms and showers, etc...a vaccination is what protesters have decided to use this opportunity to try to change. A vaccination that 90% of their colleagues took before there was even a quarantine mandate. They could push for incentives to bring in new drivers or push for laws to change payment delays, or any number of things that frustrate and hurt the industry.

- Truck drivers have never been good at protesting. Well, since deregulation they havent been good at protesting. They are a loose knit group of contract workers and independent contractors who have differing needs, concerns, and goals. Ultimately if they dont work, they arent paid so there has continually been a lot of talk and very little action since action typically means no revenue. Apparently there may be a US caravan from CA to DC at the end of the month. If history is any indicator, the caravan will not be nearly as effective as participants hope and there will be varied goals which will reduce effectiveness.

Lets say the vocal minority 'wins' in Canada. Then what? They go right back to a job that many complain about because of low wages, tough working conditions, dangerous roads, and poor contracts.
Here is an opinion of mine instead of more stats- they are missing the opportunity to create real improvement in their industry.
Oh, and this is MSU sports related because trucks move MSU athletic apparel all over the country and continent.
So 2 locked threads about the subject on the front page and you thought “my insight will spark a meaningful respectful discussion.” I’ll give you credit, you aren’t lacking in the hubris department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login