Some Golden Triangle golf excellence...

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Why are none of these kids playing at MSU? And if that coach is so great, why isn’t he coaching MSU’s team?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I know VJ somewhat. I bet he can make more money doing private lessons at OW than MSU would pay him to be the full time coach.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Why are none of these kids playing at MSU? And if that coach is so great, why isn’t he coaching MSU’s team?

Dusty was at Vandy and has taken the approach to recruiting National and international. I have heard he can rub some locals the wrong way. Apparently there has been a disconnect between him and the Trolios. I'm sure others can chime in

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Sounds like Cohen needs to have a conversation then. Could you imagine Lemonis or Leach ignoring top recruits in our own backyard?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
TIL that MAIS doesnt have a girls golf state championship. WTF- its 2022.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Sounds like Cohen needs to have a conversation then. Could you imagine Lemonis or Leach ignoring top recruits in our own backyard?

Are the Academy kids for sure ignored?
Has no conversation with Cohen about recruiting taken place?

You seem very sure.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I know VJ somewhat. I bet he can make more money doing private lessons at OW than MSU would pay him to be the full time coach.

I think that's maybe right. Not sure how much the typical SEC golf coach makes (It looks like LSU's head golf coach makes $300k base and can make $145k in incentives; that's just one I could find easily; don't know if he's good). VJ offers a 2 hour lesson for $450. Now there are lessons available as early as the second week of June, so he's not just completely booked up at that rate, and I'm not sure how many hours a day you can do lessons while still performing other duties as club pro, so I'm sure he's not doing 4 lessons a day, but if he just averages 2 lessons a weekday and does it 50 weeks a year, that's $225k before the club pays him anything. I would think OW pays up to have a top 100 teacher on their staff just for the prestige, but have no clue. Probably bigger thing is he can coach his sons and make his own schedule as opposed to needing to recruit and be coaching when his sons are playing.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
I know the dad of one of them and asked him about this. He was very complimentary of our coach, but his son never considered us. Essentially, he wanted a new place to play every day, and he still gets to play Waverly and Mossy Oak whenever he comes home.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Not surprised with the friendships and big golf projects I saw in. West Point over 20 years ago.

kphall11

Apr 8, 2013
VJ also does work with professionals. I’m sure that gig pays well.

Used to work in the golf business and the Trolio’s never had an allegiance to any of the MS schools. They leaned more Ole Miss than state. Cohen always wanted to go to LSU.

Wells on the other hand grew up in a State family.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Well I don’t know obviously. I was going off what the other guy said. Keep up.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login