Somebody talk to me

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
My 12 year old son took this pic last week about 100 yards from my house and I live about two miles outside the Starkville city limits. That's his footprint just below the track for scale. Track is probably 6-7" long and about 4" wide at the toes. Any thoughts to an ID? I've been racking my wildlife degree knowledge and the only thing I can come up with I really didn't think inhabited this area. I sent it to MDWFP earlier and hope to hear from them tomorrow, but I'm impatient. For the record, I did not see the track. He finally remembered to tell me about it this evening and by now it's gone.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I lived a couple of miles outside of Starkville for 13 years. Never saw one but it's prime habitat for one. I thought they were only in the Delta.

They will roam hundreds of miles, especially dispersing juveniles. It isn't uncommon to find them passing through about any county now days.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I lived a couple of miles outside of Starkville for 13 years. Never saw one but it's prime habitat for one. I thought they were only in the Delta.

They are all over the Florida Panhandle, people post videos of them probably once a week tearing into stuff.

tatedog

Mar 28, 2015
i hate to say it, but what you have on your hands here sir is a Starkville ginny pig.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Nah, they are all over Alabama now. They have spread well. Some in north Florida too.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I saw two bear Cubs while deer hunting about 20 years ago. Was in NE Ms probably 75 miles further north than Starkville. Nobody believes me because bears don’t live here. They were probably 300 yards away but I watched them through my scope for probably 30 minutes. I could hear them as well. Nobody believes me but I watched enough Mutual of Omaha’s wild Kingdom to know what a bear is when I see one.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I have to say the quality of Altras has gone down hill since they were purchased by the conglomerate that owns North Face. I continue buying them, but damn they fall apart quickly now.

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
I had to take mammalogy as an elective at State. I think I remember this correctly. Mississippi has three subspecies of black bear in the state but two are pretty rare. The Louisiana black bear is the resident population in the Delta and south MS. There can be visits from the Florida black bear on the Mississippi coast and the American black bear in the northeast corner of the state around Tishomingo.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I had to take mammalogy as an elective at State. I think I remember this correctly. Mississippi has three subspecies of black bear in the state but two are pretty rare. The Louisiana black bear is the resident population in the Delta and south MS. There can be visits from the Florida black bear on the Mississippi coast and the American black bear in the northeast corner of the state around Tishomingo.

Originally the Louisiana black bear was our native subspecies. The American black bear was typically found in Arkansas but would occasionally venture into MS. Now the bulk of our bears are American black bears. The two subspecies interbreed and there was actually relocation b/w both the species in the past to increase the population. The main difference is the Louisiana black bear is a little smaller and the slope of the skull. A female American black bear crossed the MS in the mid-2000’s and started the repopulation efforts of the bears we see today. We also get numerous dispersing males from Tensas NWR every year.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The black bear population is higher now than when Columbus got here, I think. A true conservation success story. I may be misremembering the Bear Grease and Bear Hunting podcast, but I think that’s what Clay Newcomb said. Those are good listens by the way.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login