Somehow I don't think that the NIL is going to be smooth at all.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The Players all knew some folks got more money that the rest and supposedly there will be some money for everyone. What I do know is when you throw in unequal amounts of money that you can read about in the paper it is going to be another headache for coaches to deal with they have not had before... not really.

The NIL is going to take a few years to smooth out and outside of a couple off alumni winning the lottery might keep us in the game a little longer in football and men's BB before everything settles out and who knows what will happen by then. We might have a ruling that allows people who would make more money going to the NFL sooner like the NBA.

We opened a big can of worms and I'm just trying to open discussion of the subject I put on board. Where do you think this is all going and what do you think might upset the utopian applecart there top teams are putting on this pig?

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Ive thought about that as well. My hope is the money will be even more inequitable on the blue blood teams so hopefully those teams will have locker room issues.

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
It may sound ridiculous but I think you MIGHT start having some more parity because of the NIL, at least in football. Basketball and baseball may go the other way. Football is a full team sport. No doubt a jealous 19 yr old kid who had his GF stolen is gonna miss a block so the QB pulling a million a year looks bad or gets hurt. Plus, his bud is the backup and then he will get paid…

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The Players all knew some folks got more money that the rest and supposedly there will be some money for everyone. What I do know is when you throw in unequal amounts of money that you can read about in the paper it is going to be another headache for coaches to deal with they have not had before... not really.

The NIL is going to take a few years to smooth out and outside of a couple off alumni winning the lottery might keep us in the game a little longer in football and men's BB before everything settles out and who knows what will happen by then. We might have a ruling that allows people who would make more money going to the NFL sooner like the NBA.

We opened a big can of worms and I'm just trying to open discussion of the subject I put on board. Where do you think this is all going and what do you think might upset the utopian applecart there top teams are putting on this pig?

Letting guys go pro earlier is something that should have been done well before NIL. But that’s an NFL thing, not NCAA.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I’m just waiting to see the drama of a returning JR / SR QB with a six figure deal who gets benched by game 3 for the 3-star freshman. Can you imagine being the booster who signed a big deal just to watch him ride the bench? You think he’s going to be pressuring the athletic department to get his guy back on the field?

You’ve got to imagine it’s going to be a nightmare for coaches. This isn’t going to be like the pros where you’ve got a team owner who’s the top dog. You’re going to have multiple big boosters that you’ve got to worry about pissing off because their guy isn’t getting enough playing time.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Great example. Ol Jimbo might not be so full of beans in a year or so and I promise you this keeping Saban up because he cannot stockpile 5 stars anymore. It's going to hurt us in the beginning but we might be the recipient of some of that parity.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think a lot of the problems with us is going to be the transfer portal. Money or not the big names were going to the big schools regardless. Where I think we might get hurt is that one guy that got looked over turns out to be really good and he hits the portal looking for money. They could solve a lot of the problems with the lower tier P5 schools by getting rid of the portal.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It's definitely going to be a total **** show. NO 18 yr old is going to be able to keep his mouth shut about what he got or someone he knows got because now its legal, it will NEVER work. It already happens now when they see a kid drive up in a Hellcat when another got a basic Mustang, except in the past they couldn't publicly talk about it. There will be the alum who measures his dick size by paying an athlete to do a voice over and pose for a picture at their used car lot and then athlete bolts for greener pastures and Mr Used Car is left w/ nothing but memories of a sweaty palm from shaking the hand occasionally of a teenager he gave a few bucks to. There's going to be bad feelings between the different sports too, resentment about what football players get compared to basketball, men's sports vs women's sports, etc etc. The only way it would ever work is w/ a governing body enforcing some kind of parity and we know that won't happen because we've seen the NCAA fail at that for years.

Aug 18, 2009
Saban is going to be just fine and continue stockpiling 5 stars. Bama has basically had an NIL collective for decades, now it is just out in the open. Saban may lose a couple of targets he would have otherwise gotten, which pisses him offbecause he hates losing anything, but now he also gets to legally poach players from other teams after watching them play well against his teams. Saban and Bama will be just fine, unfortunately.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's definitely going to be a total **** show. NO 18 yr old is going to be able to keep his mouth shut about what he got or someone he knows got because now its legal, it will NEVER work. It already happens now when they see a kid drive up in a Hellcat when another got a basic Mustang, except in the past they couldn't publicly talk about it. There will be the alum who measures his dick size by paying an athlete to do a voice over and pose for a picture at their used car lot and then athlete bolts for greener pastures and Mr Used Car is left w/ nothing but memories of a sweaty palm from shaking the hand occasionally of a teenager he gave a few bucks to. There's going to be bad feelings between the different sports too, resentment about what football players get compared to basketball, men's sports vs women's sports, etc etc. The only way it would ever work is w/ a governing body enforcing some kind of parity and we know that won't happen because we've seen the NCAA fail at that for years.

This is the part I was trying to make. I don't know if they will ever get this shaken out completely as far as I can see because of the human factor of it all. Pressure. Billy Bob gets mad because Jimmy John gets a multi million dollar deal while he still getting whatever the basic pay is and having to watch his bank account every week while Billy Bob is raining money. Not to mention the hotties who will already be flock into the instant millionaires and then making their lives possibly a miserable mess and giving them more problems and pressure.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I’m just waiting to see the drama of a returning JR / SR QB with a six figure deal who gets benched by game 3 for the 3-star freshman. Can you imagine being the booster who signed a big deal just to watch him ride the bench? You think he’s going to be pressuring the athletic department to get his guy back on the field?

You’ve got to imagine it’s going to be a nightmare for coaches. This isn’t going to be like the pros where you’ve got a team owner who’s the top dog. You’re going to have multiple big boosters that you’ve got to worry about pissing off because their guy isn’t getting enough playing time.

Boosters have been paying good players, mediocre players, and downright bad players for years at all high profile schools. The latter 2 are simply the cost of doing business. And compensation from boosters hasn’t been equitable for years, either. Nothing is changing in either of those areas. The biggest change is with everything now legal, the cost of doing business for everybody is now going way up.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I hadn't really considered it, but has there been any thought to $ people steering kids to school based on the opportunity, and not out of loyalty to their school? That really seems like a mess.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Non-athletes got to their "rival" school based on scholarship money all the time. So an athlete chasing money should be the norm. Journalists won't say that part out loud because they have to be loyal to their beat and it's coaches to get access.

You really have to take the recruit-speak of "I really like the coaches" with a grain of salt at this point.

The majority of kids don't have a tie to a university like most of us fanatics posting on message boards. Hell, most athletes are the same way. Very few grow up fans of a school like we did. They'll typically follow the blue bloods because it's on TV the most often.

I don't blame anyone for chasing a dollar. The sad part is that a $100k NIL deal might be the most money some of these kids make in their lifetime. Make hay while you can.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Non-athletes got to their "rival" school based on scholarship money all the time. So an athlete chasing money should be the norm. Journalists won't say that part out loud because they have to be loyal to their beat and it's coaches to get access.

You really have to take the recruit-speak of "I really like the coaches" with a grain of salt at this point.

The majority of kids don't have a tie to a university like most of us fanatics posting on message boards. Hell, most athletes are the same way. Very few grow up fans of a school like we did. They'll typically follow the blue bloods because it's on TV the most often.

I don't blame anyone for chasing a dollar. The sad part is that a $100k NIL deal might be the most money some of these kids make in their lifetime. Make hay while you can.

Right, the kids don't. I'm talking about whoever funds an NIL.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Like street agents or a crazy uncle? Those have been around a minute.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Let the fact sink in that a Power 5 school can buy a national championship, and that has been the case with recent championships.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Let the fact sink in that a Power 5 school can buy a national championship, and that has been the case with recent championships.
That's always been the case for the most part. Instead of paying players directly it was about (legally) pumping money in every other aspect of the program, which directly affects the football 'culture' or whatever, which is attractive to the good players. Then on the side the boosters were taking care of the players. No matter what we choose to believe, the idea of "playing for the school" went out the door 40 years ago.

Couple of things happened back then. That lawsuit with Georgia and Oklahoma, and the SMU ordeal (which was just a metaphor for everyone who was doing it). Of course Texas was Ground Zero for it.

Then fast forward to 1998, when Tennessee won the first true recognized national title. They had players from all over the country on that team, and hardly any from their home state. Do you think they were playing for the glory of old rocky top or whatever? 90% of that team couldn't even tell you where Knoxville was before they got their first check.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
This is another reason why I think MSU should stay away from NIL, at least when it comes to recruits. Let the big boosters handle the recruits, they can continue paying under the table, and nobody ever finds out. Generally this is how we land our select few defensive monsters anyway, no need messing with that.

That said, I like the idea of it helping us keep some guys who may be thinking about transferring, and as I understand it, we've already benefitted from that. And those guys are generally older and don't give a damn anyway, as they are in leadership roles by then.

When it comes to transfers, we aren't going to be in the game for the big ones who command NIL anyway. So we should just continue to pick up the Alabama/Texas A&M/Georgia benchwarmers, and every now and again the guys who are transferring up from G5 or something. Plus JUCOs as we always have, since we have direct access to a large system of them.

Combine all that with a niche offense, and we should stay competitive in football. We can all calm down now.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
The only real difference is now the schools can legally panhandle to the general public.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login