Someone explain our inbound approach after a made shot...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
when a team presses. We first walk to the ball at a gingerly pace. Then we throw it the official. Then the official throws it back to us. All of those things combined thus allows the defense to setup. We then pass to the corner which adds another defender.

Grab the ball and throw it in with some urgency.

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
when a team presses. We pass to the corner which adds another defender. And we wait for the defense to setup. Grab the ball and throw it in.

We often follow the mentality of "just wing it baby"

We should think about setting picks more often

patdog

May 28, 2007
We do everything you shouldn't do inbounding the ball against pressure. It's maddening. We pass the ball to the referee and give the defense time to set the press up. Then, as you say, we pass to the worst possible spot on the floor and just leave the poor guy there double teamed in the corner until he turns it over. It's ridiculous.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Even more frustrating is the fact the book is now clearly out on our inability to handle it, so you’d think that we’d do something about it. At least 3 of the last 5 teams we’ve played ran a full court press on the inbound for the entire game

Reactions: Air Raid

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
when a team presses. We first walk to the ball at a gingerly pace. Then we throw it the official. Then the official throws it back to us. All of those things combined thus allows the defense to setup. We then pass to the corner which adds another defender.

I’ve noticed this too. It’s gotten me yelling at the TV a few times. I will say we inbounded against pressure better against Auburn, although we still had a turnover or two.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Even more frustrating is the fact the book is now clearly out on our inability to handle it, so you’d think that we’d do something about it. At least 3 of the last 5 teams we’ve played ran a full court press on the inbound for the entire game
It’s infuriating. It does appear we made one change and that was to let Hub throw it in. Usually to Matthews bc I assume he was the one most capable of separating from his man.

Let me also add that in the era of a 30 second shot clock I have no idea why anyone- particularly a team that struggles in the halfcourt- wouldn’t try to go as fast as possible all the time. Because if you go fast and nothing is there you can then just set up in the halfcourt.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogBlitz

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
With how the barners were pressing us hy fronting, I was disappointed to see it took until the 2nd half to burn their *** long. The press did slack off after we did that to them. I definitely agree that the "ref check" is an unnecessary delay tactic that grants the defense a chance to setup. I think they've been coached to do that though. Definitely a different way needs to be worked up for the trap.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I think we have done better with it by making the immediate return pass to to the trigger man. Getting trapped in the corner is not smart whatsoever. I also don't get the ball check to the ref unless jans is afraid we will get in too big of a hurry and do something stupid. Ultimately, to get opponents out of it we have got to make them pay more for the pressure than what they get from it. That rainmaker pass to hubbard was great but that has so little margin for error.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

You seem to think there is some organized plan, developed through years of trial and error and used effectively by other teams, to break a full court press. Preposterous

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

I’ll explain. Our guards are tiny with short arms. All but one is a below average SEC ball handling guard. Hubbard is the best handler of the bunch but he is just ok at this point. So, Davis, Moore, and Fort are useless.

All to say, we only have two players that can consistently break the press because of their length. Matthews and Jeffries. They are prone to turnovers so you see the result. That Tennesse game was vomit. Would’ve won by 15 if we only turned the ball over 3 times on the press instead of what had to be 14-16 easy buckets for the Vols.

Last year, I thought we were most effective the few times we allowed Matthews to run the point/iso his guy in the half court. He wasn’t running point against Auburn but he was certainly allowed to drive and create for himself and others. Need Cam to be Auburn Cam the rest of the way.

Reactions: patdog

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Grab the ball and just throw it in and haul *** up the court. Hit Tolu at the center circle and tell him not to dribble the ball. Just pass to a guard or Jeffries at the free throw line. Beat the D up the court is all I am saying.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
We need to throw the long ball down the court to Hubbard every time that happens. Two step drop...go route.
Did Hubbard play football in high school football as a receiver? I noticed on the one over the top - go route against auburn, he slowed down, used his body to slow the defender, and then sprung off the defender to create space. He was outsized and would have never caught that pass otherwise. Very smart play by that young man.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

"Get Open!" former Ole Miss Athlete**

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
It’s infuriating. It does appear we made one change and that was to let Hub throw it in. Usually to Matthews bc I assume he was the one most capable of separating from his man.
This was briefly discussed on the post game show. Paraphrasing but Jans acknowledged the issues and said he wouldn’t get into the details, but we struggle getting it in. Says he knows why. They basically started throwing it in to Matthews due to his athletic ability and overall ability to just get the ball. In other words just get it in and let him get it to a ball handler. Likely not a sustainable approach but it got us by Saturday

Reactions: 8dog

hoopsdreamer

Mar 3, 2020
Passing the ball to the official is in order for the five second clock not to start while the press break sets up. The defense wants to speed you up by pressing. If the inbounder picks it up immediately, the five second clock starts. Most of the time the people at the front of the press break aren’t in their spots yet. Throwing it to the corner isn’t the greatest strategy though.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Passing the ball to the official is in order for the five second clock not to start while the press break sets up. The defense wants to speed you up by pressing. If the inbounder picks it up immediately, the five second clock starts. Most of the time the people at the front of the press break aren’t in their spots yet. Throwing it to the corner isn’t the greatest strategy though.
No. You are letting the Press set up when you do that. Also would you want to throw it in while they setting up? If you go fast you don’t need a press break.

Tractorman

Mar 15, 2009
I have watched it past 2 years. DJ walks to ball, bounces to official, official is like what are you doing and tosses it back. Refs get tired of it and just start tapping it back to DJ whether he is looking or not - I would too. I have seen them sit the ball down and start the count early. Jans has recently removed DJ from inbounder. I hate how we approach the press because we sure as hell don't attack it.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login