Something about the portal that needs to be said.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I was talking today with a friend of mine about the portal. He follows this stuff a lot closer than I ever will. It's kind of his obsession.

He told me that while the portal does have a lot of players in it. The majority of those are walkon's or DII or DIII players. So either partial or no scholarship.

I am going to take an example local to me in Montgomery, Alabama. Lets say you had a good year playing DIII ball at Huntington College. But you get no scholarship. Why not put yourself out there and see if Alabama State, Tuskegee, or Jacksonville State and see if they will pick up the tab for your schooling?

Alternatively, you are a walk on at Auburn or Alabama. Why not see if those schools would take you in?

I get that the media focuses on the big names and understand why. But when you step back it's not as bad as it seems.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
There’s about 1,000 D1 players in it currently. Most likely half of those will not be picked up ending their academic and athletic careers. That’s something the NCAA hasn’t considered.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login