Something to consider

Grove Sh.tter

Sep 30, 2022
A few weeks ago, we went from top 15 in basketball to a terrible skid where everyone was already throwing in the towel on the season. The next 3 games could now land us in the NCAAT. Our offensive stats were quite grotesque during the skid, however.

I remember visiting with a friend last April, late in baseball season. He is an Ole miss insider who was describing how bianco was as good as gone by season's end. We all know how that story ended.

My point is only that it may seem as though there is no hope, and the season is lost, and the staff needs to go, but it's the 2nd weekend of a long season. Maybe take a breath and remember the absolute euphoria of a scant 2 years ago. I know it's hard to not go for the torches and pitchforks after getting embarrassed like yesterday, but maybe let the season shake out.

Lemonis may not be the guy for the future, but maybe he's not an idiot, and he's our coach for the 2023 season. If the whole season looks like yesterday, then I'll join the riot. For the next 6-8 weeks, I think I'll reserve judgment.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Very big difference. The schedules. Just one look at the basketball schedule and you knew January was going to be pretty bad. Baseball is looking awful against VMI, UL-Monroe and an Arizona St. team that had a losing overall record last year. And we're coming off a 9-21 season last year. Of course no decisions will be made for 6-8 weeks at least. But it really does look worse for baseball than it did for basketball in late January.

Reactions: Muttley

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Very big difference. The schedules. Just one look at the basketball schedule and you knew January was going to be pretty bad. Baseball is looking awful against VMI, UL-Monroe and an Arizona St. team that had a losing overall record last year. And we're coming off a 9-21 season last year. Of course no decisions will be made for 6-8 weeks at least. But it really does look worse for baseball than it did for basketball in late January.
Big difference in a month of basketball and a full season of baseball last year plus this season. I was disgusted last season but fully expected that to be a wake up call for the team AND coaches. If it woke anybody up I haven't seen that at all. If anything we have regressed, that's why I'm even more disgusted this season than last, so far

Grove Sh.tter

Sep 30, 2022
No one thought OM would even make the SECT last year. 2013 saw some terrible mid-week losses including blowing a double digit lead. Our hoops team couldn't buy a free throw for a month. Teams get hot and cold.

Whatever. I'm only offering another way to look at this moment besides total fatalistic despair.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
No one thought OM would even make the SECT last year. 2013 saw some terrible mid-week losses including blowing a double digit lead. Our hoops team couldn't buy a free throw for a month. Teams get hot and cold.

Whatever. I'm only offering another way to look at this moment besides total fatalistic despair.
Apples to oranges. So you can let that theory go. OM had a proven leader in Tim Elko. We don't have a team leader. OM had injuries on the pitching staff early and a great portal guy that came in. We don't have that. We just suck and can't locate pitches. OM had a pitching coach for their head coach. So their minor pitching issues were easier to figure out by the end of the year. OM had a great hitting team. OM had an all American at shortstop. I could keep going. Apples to oranges. Our situation is much different and we terribly mis-evaluated players for multiple years, not to mention our pitching coach has been showing us for at least three years that he isn't capable of developing talent.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Apples to oranges. So you can let that theory go. OM had a proven leader in Tim Elko. We don't have a team leader. OM had injuries on the pitching staff early and a great portal guy that came in. We don't have that. We just suck and can't locate pitches. OM had a pitching coach for their head coach. So their minor pitching issues were easier to figure out by the end of the year. OM had a great hitting team. OM had an all American at shortstop. I could keep going. Apples to oranges. Our situation is much different and we terribly mis-evaluated players for multiple years, not to mention our pitching coach has been showing us for at least three years that he isn't capable of developing talent.
Boom GIF

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
🪦 💀

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
A few weeks ago, we went from top 15 in basketball to a terrible skid where everyone was already throwing in the towel on the season. The next 3 games could now land us in the NCAAT. Our offensive stats were quite grotesque during the skid, however.

I remember visiting with a friend last April, late in baseball season. He is an Ole miss insider who was describing how bianco was as good as gone by season's end. We all know how that story ended.

My point is only that it may seem as though there is no hope, and the season is lost, and the staff needs to go, but it's the 2nd weekend of a long season. Maybe take a breath and remember the absolute euphoria of a scant 2 years ago. I know it's hard to not go for the torches and pitchforks after getting embarrassed like yesterday, but maybe let the season shake out.

Lemonis may not be the guy for the future, but maybe he's not an idiot, and he's our coach for the 2023 season. If the whole season looks like yesterday, then I'll join the riot. For the next 6-8 weeks, I think I'll reserve judgment.
F00TBALL I$ ALL THAT MATTER$

Fang1

Oct 1, 2022

Who let the adult in?

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I’ve already thrown in the towel. Wake me up when the coaching search begins.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021

I appreciate your logic and optimism but we just sat through an entire season of this. Also in basketball, the only game where we looked as overmatched as baseball has twice this week was at Tennessee

Reactions: patdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

You're right in the comparison in one way. Jans saw he had work to do and didn't lose his head. He was patient with Tolu and our offense. We can play with just about anyone and have attracted attention. The season isn't over, but it has become a success after looking like we were doomed.

The way our pitching has performed I can almost hear Bob Uecker doing our play-by-play.
major-league-harry-doyle.gif

We can hit, but our pitching is a disgrace. There's no other word for it than a disgrace. The only thing we can pray for is that we are having a super-sized brain fart and might find the plate again, or we change our pitching staff entirely somehow, and Lemonis earns his money and his job. I will check in here and there in the next couple of weeks, but I'm not putting our game on the TV until I see some significant improvement. For the record, I have seen some teams at Mississippi State that we're not that good, but I have never seen a pitching performance as terrible as this from our staff while I've been following Mississippi State baseball. The only thing that gives me hope is it maybe bench some pitchers, rehabilitate some others, and give some young arms a chance, and they perform well. I'm not gonna hold my breath

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
I appreciate your logic and optimism but we just sat through an entire season of this. Also in basketball, the only game where we looked as overmatched as baseball has twice this week was at Tennessee
Baseball 22 and 23 reminds me of the Croom years, which felt like one long, dreadful season on the whole.

Reactions: patdog

Grove Sh.tter

Sep 30, 2022
Yep, if this wasn't the second verse of the same song as last year I wouldn't be as quick to dismiss this season, but it sure doesn't look good right now.
I agree, mutt. I'm just not ready to burn it all down just yet.

Also, I'm glad to see your handle show up, man.

Reactions: Muttley

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012

I'm interested to see how freshmen pitching comes along - so far I'm pretty impressed. If those guys can continue to develop I think we've got a pretty good team. But you're about to get dragged by this 17 board for even suggesting we aren't the worst team that ever put on a baseball uniform.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login