Sonic Boom Last night

TNT.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Anyone hear the sonic boom this morning around 4:30 AM? I heard it not realizing that we had a spacecraft entering orbit over Mississippi at that time. I thought one of my dead pine trees had fallen on the house and then I found out later it was the dragon endurance entering earth’s atmosphere for a landing in Pensacola. It shook my house in Madison. Wife has a co-worker who was out walking his dog and filmed it.

• Wow
Reactions: patdog

baddmann007

Sep 26, 2023
Yes. I specifically got up to watch SpaceX Dragon Crew-7 streak across the sky during re-entry. Awesome thing to watch and then a few minutes later you heard the sonic boom. 3 mins after that was splashdown off the coast of Pensacola.
We got lucky with a clear night to see it.

Attachments

• IMG_1421.jpeg
    IMG_1421.jpeg
    824.2 KB · Views: 13

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Yes. I specifically got up to watch SpaceX Dragon Crew-7 streak across the sky during re-entry. Awesome thing to watch and then a few minutes later you heard the sonic boom. 3 mins after that was splashdown off the coast of Pensacola.
We got lucky with a clear night to see it.
At first I was wondering where you lived with all those hilltops in the background. That was some pretty impressive MS elevation!

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Yeah, I heard it. I thought one of my kids had gotten out of bed and kicked the wall in the next room.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Anyone hear the sonic boom this morning around 4:30 AM? I heard it not realizing that we had a spacecraft entering orbit over Mississippi at that time. I thought one of my dead pine trees had fallen on the house and then I found out later it was the dragon endurance entering earth’s atmosphere for a landing in Pensacola. It shook my house in Madison. Wife has a co-worker who was out walking his dog and filmed it.
I was in Orlando on a co-op work semester when the first shuttle to launch and return to Canaveral happened in 1984. It was the Challenger and we went over to Canaveral to watch it launch on a Friday which was pretty damn neat. Then a week later it returned. It was descending just over the Gulf Coast of FL around Port St Richey and then flew just over Orlando and then to Canaveral about 50 miles east of Orlando. When it passed over Orlando it was early morning and the sonic boom rattled and shook the house and was ungodly loud. I was in bed, wish I had remembered it was happening but I was a young dude back then and had Fridays off after working 4x10's so I was still in the bed resting up for the weekend.......

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
We are going back to the Moon and then Mars. I hope I live long enough to see it.

Reactions: Dawg84

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
We are going back to the Moon and then Mars. I hope I live long enough to see it.
Mars happens only if AI can soon develop "Scotty" powers.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login