Soto traded to Padres

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
[FONT="]Juan Soto trade: Padres agree to deal for Nationals superstar ahead of deadline, per report https://t.co/p9xF8KVu6P— CBS Sports MLB (@CBSSportsMLB) August 2, 2022 [/FONT]

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
That's much better than the Dodgers getting him. Nobody is worried about the Padres.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Adding Hader, Bell, and Soto at the deadline is quite the haul.

Tatis Jr will likely return in the next 3-4 weeks.

Machado is already there.

They're in a good spot.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Stephen Schoch made me laugh...

[FONT="]Just talked to Juan Soto, sorry everyone heâ??s going to LSU— Stephen Schoch (@bigdonkey47) August 2, 2022 [/FONT]

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Small MSU connection, former signee James Wood is part of package headed to Nats.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Soto is a beast. The Statcast crew always compare him to Ted Williams.

Hes younger than Austin Williams for context.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Soto is a beast. The Statcast crew always compare him to Ted Williams.

Hes younger than Austin Williams for context.

A lot of folks are fixated on his low batting average this year. He's currently second in the NL in OBP and fifth in OBP+SLG. He leads the NL walks with 91 (second place is 60). Placing him in a lineup with proper protection, like SD has in Machado and now Bell, will elevate his production quite a bit. And then add Tatis Jr to that in a few weeks and their offense should really start to produce.

I didn't want Soto as the expense of 5 players (without signing a long term deal), but there was a piece of me that wanted to see what it would've been like with Goldschmidt and Arenado protecting him the lineup. You can't just walk him with Goldy batting behind him.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Bell seems like a great guy to have in the middle of that lineup. Croneworth has been good too. That lineup is going to be tough to navigate.

The NL is a war zone. Dodgers have been marginally disappointing, Padres, Cardinals, Mets, Braves - all of those seem like real contenders for the NL Title. Seems like a two team collision course in the AL between NYY and HOU.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I can't believe the Cardinals backed out because they didn't want to include Dylan Carlson in the trade. Dylan Carlson.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I can't believe the Cardinals backed out because they didn't want to include Dylan Carlson in the trade. Dylan Carlson.

I never got this vibe at all. In fact, I always thought Dylan was the guaranteed piece and the haggling was over the 3-4 other prospects to include.

Quintana and Montgomery fill the two most needed holes, but they are certainly two very underwhelming moves for a team that isn’t terribly far off.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I never got this vibe at all. In fact, I always thought Dylan was the guaranteed piece and the haggling was over the 3-4 other prospects to include.

Quintana and Montgomery fill the two most needed holes, but they are certainly two very underwhelming moves for a team that isn’t terribly far off.

And now I just read that the Cardinals told Carlson in WSH last weekend they weren’t looking to move him

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I’ve seen mixed signals on this. Some say the cards were willing to offer high prospects but not Carlson or Carlson but lower prospects. I sure hope the deal didn’t solely hinge on the cards being stubborn on Carlson. He’s a nice player and likely will get better but at his absolute best, he’s not Soto.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
He’s a nice player and likely will get better but at his absolute best, he’s not Soto.

But for 2.5 years of Soto…. Is that worth giving up 4.5 years of Carlson and 6 years of 3-4 other highly thought of guys? Without the contractual guarantee, I have a hard time giving that much up for one player.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
But for 2.5 years of Soto…. Is that worth giving up 4.5 years of Carlson and 6 years of 3-4 other highly thought of guys? Without the contractual guarantee, I have a hard time giving that much up for one player.

Depends on who the prospects are I guess. But generally I agree with you. A move like that is something you make if you are one player away from a World Series. Hard to imagine the cards getting past the dodgers

msu71

Mar 3, 2008
The Padres are looking pretty good but Brent Rooker is not. After playing about 5 games with the parent club earlier this month, they sent him back down to AAA where he is hitting home runs every game. Why didn't they include him in the trade today? He will never play for them. Now I just saw he was traded to the Royals.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The Padres are looking pretty good but Brent Rooker is not. After playing about 5 games with the parent club earlier this month, they sent him back down to AAA where he is hitting home runs every game. Why didn't they include him in the trade today? He will never play for them. Now I just saw he was traded to the Royals.

Yeah he got traded today. He will be fine

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
How are the dodgers “marginally disappointing”? There record as of today is 70-33, 11.5 games ahead of the padres, best hitting team in the NL all this with several pitcher’s on the IL. Freeman , Betts and Trey Turner to name a few and hitting lights out. Right now their either the first or second best team in baseball, with the Yankees being in the same position. Your opinion based on current stats very inaccurate.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login