South Carolina Gameplan...

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I'm sure this has been discussed, and I have no doubt that Stans was given full credit over the weekend, but that was a hell of a gameplan he put together for SC. No one had used that approach on them this year, and it worked very well. Dave Odom was Stansbury's ***** on Saturday.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
It definitely wasnt Stansbury's idea. He isnt smart enough to come up with that gameplan

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Georgia zoned them for 40 minutes when they blew them out in Athens. I only know this because I watched part of the Dennis Felton show last week. Felton is a strictly man coach, so it was a big deal to him to play zone too.

That being said, it was great. They 3/4 press slowed down Downey and threw their offense out of sync, which was good, because ours is always out of sync. I was shocked that Odom had no answer for it. It was like it was the first time in his life he had seen token pressure and a 2-3 zone.

ESPNDawg

Jul 19, 2007
Georgia was down to six scholarship players at one point. The Bulldogs already were missing freshman forwards Chris Barnes (eye) and Jeremy Jacob (foot) because of injuries when sophomore center Albert Jackson went down at the 3:36 remaining in the first half. He injured his right shoulder - the one that kept him out most of last season - but was able to return in the second half.

Three other players quit or were kicked off the team before SEC play began.

To stave off fatigue, the Bulldogs played nothing but zone defense. Dennis Felton, a firm believer in man-to-man, said he has never done that before.

www.ajc.com/sports/content/printedition/2008/02/14/gahoops0214.html

Hanmudog

Apr 30, 2006
It is amazing that we played zone the entire game and still had two players foul out and nearly had a third. Whatever happened to that 1-3-1 trap that used to work so well for us?

Hanmudog

Apr 30, 2006
Wasn't really joking but we need to come up with ways to force more turnovers and get some easy baskets to take the pressure off our offense. The 1-3-1 used to force alot of turnovers. I realize that Vincent made it work well but it isn't like he was the only guy on the planet that could do it.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
we significantly ran that zone was against Texas in the 2002 NCAA Tourney and Ignerski was at the top so I don't think Brandon Vincent is the only reason we ran it.

We should put Rhodes up at the top.

ram124

Oct 10, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________We should put Rhodes up at the top._________________________________________________
I'd like to see it, but I think there is a reason we haven't done it with him before.

dawgpound11

Jun 4, 2003
That we had the 1-3-1 in our arsenal. He kind of laughed it off and acted as if he would be pulling it out but only at the right time. I'm assuming he meant in the tourney. Against SC, the 1-2-2 three quarter press and staying in the zone was an excellent call. He even said after the game that they didn't put that in until Thursday and that SC never did anything to make them get out of it. He intentionally made the game ugly and it worked. Bad floor coach my ***.

GrenadaDawg

Jun 4, 2007
You think Ravern Johnson's big long armed self couldn't be good at the top of that?? and if we got a turnover, that joker would be quick to the tin for the finish.

patdog

May 28, 2007
On his TV show Stans said we played zone for 44 minutes and 55 seconds. The one trip we played man, their PG blew right past us for a basket.

ram124

Oct 10, 2007
Ravern has the length to do it, but you're talking about a freshman who barely knew how to play defense when he got here in the fall. He has improved a good bit, but I'm guessing he's not ready for that role yet. Next year he should definitely be able to handle it.

squirldawg

Feb 25, 2008
a mad rush back into the game. It didn't create many steals in that game, but it forced TN to hurry up and shoot rather than pass it around.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login