South Carolina men's soccer joins Sun Belt conference

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I note that the report stated that Kentucky is moving men's soccer to the Sun Belt as well. Must be some sort of "group thing."

Reactions: KingWard

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
The Sun Belt is ascending while Conference USA is not. I just wish that every sport in which we compete had an SEC Championship for which to compete.
I think SEC bylaws require a minimum of 8 members sponsoring a sport in order for the league to sponsor a championship in it. If you, King, or someone else knows better, please correct me.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I think SEC bylaws require a minimum of 8 members sponsoring a sport in order for the league to sponsor a championship in it. If you, King, or someone else knows better, please correct me.
I'm not conversant on the bylaws.

Last edited:

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Think that's right. SEC schools not fielding soccer teams are missing the boat in a sport that is popular world-wide and, more importantly, is played by American youth in organized recreation leagues from ages 4 and up.

Reactions: GamecockWarrior

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Think that's right. SEC schools not fielding soccer teams are missing the boat in a sport that is popular world-wide and, more importantly, is played by American youth in organized recreation leagues from ages 4 and up.
All current (and future) SEC members sponsor women's soccer, i.e., they all field soccer teams. Only two members - USC & Kentucky - also sponsor men's soccer.

If we didn't sponsor football, we could probably sponsor several more men's sports, e.g., gymnastics, lacrosse, volleyball, wrestling, etc. Just sayin'.......

Not knocking Title IX (kind of a shame that it took legislation to force too many schools to do the right thing), but schools have to pick and choose and balance out what they can and cannot do given various constraints.

Last edited:

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Now I just wish we could add gymnastics.
For both genders. And men's volleyball. Travel would be brutal since nobody in the southeast sponsors D-1 Men's volleyball. Probably the same with gymnastics.

Should have started a women's gymnastics program instead of beach volleyball.

Jan 18, 2022
For both genders. And men's volleyball. Travel would be brutal since nobody in the southeast sponsors D-1 Men's volleyball. Probably the same with gymnastics.

Should have started a women's gymnastics program instead of beach volleyball.

You're probably right on your first point.

And I enjoy watching beach volleyball (for more than one reason 😁) but you're right on that point as well.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
You're probably right on your first point.

And I enjoy watching beach volleyball (for more than one reason 😁) but you're right on that point as well.
No doubt re: the visual appeal. ;)

Per equal treatment, however, men should have to wear similarly-styled uniforms.

• Haha

Cocky99

Jan 27, 2022
I thought all UofSC sports was SEC. Shows how much I know! Why isn’t the soccer team?

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
I thought all UofSC sports was SEC. Shows how much I know! Why isn’t the soccer team?
Only two SEC schools play men’s soccer. You have to have at least 6 for a league. Thus we had to seek an outside league

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Only two SEC schools play men’s soccer. You have to have at least 6 for a league. Thus we had to seek an outside league
Okay, it's 6, not 8 schools sponsoring a sport for the SEC to conduct a championship in it. Thanks for the update.

Technically, I suppose USC men's soccer could compete as an independent, i.e., we didn't have to seek an outside league, but it works out better for scheduling and other matters to do so.

There's actually more of this type of associate membership happening across the country in the so-called "minor" sports than we typically see, when only a few schools in major or mid-major conferences sponsor a sport.

Last edited:

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
This touches on a sore point with me. I still feel the ACC should have had the cojones to tell Notre Dame that if they join the ACC, they will be competing in all sports in which the ACC sponsors championships, including football. This compromise of the Irish playing 5 game vs the ACC each season is BS IMO.

When Miami was in the Big East, they competed as an independent in baseball (they are located nowhere near any BE members of the time, and travel would have been tough).

Boston College and Notre Dame sponsor D-I ice hockey (at least for men, and probably for women as well). Their attachment to other leagues is akin to men's Cock Soccer.

And an example on on the flip side - the SEC sponsors women's gymnastics, yet USC does not sponsor the sport. Okay.

Takeaway is that if USC sponsors a sport and the SEC sponsors a championship in that sport (meaning that enough members sponsor a team in that sport), we compete for the championship.

Reactions: KingWard

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login