South End Zone

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
The seating capacity got me thinking again about something. As much as we love our cowbells, the rest of the world hates them. We are already known to be one of the louder stadiums in the country when seats are full and bells are ringing. So, if we make it a full bowl, how much do you think it will impact sound levels? Are we guaranteed to be able to keep them in SEC contract or could there be another anti-cowbell uprising?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think we are getting the maximum entrapment of the noise with the Jumbo Tron. It and building are so big it's like a bowl. I do think the cowbells are here to stay. We obey the rules really good. It amazes me how they stop ringing when the hand goes on the ball, and all start up once it is snapped.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I'm always amused that no matter how much people ***** about the cowbells, every SEC promotional clip that shows in-game traditions like the gator chomp and hounds tooth hats always shows us ringing cowbells. For all the the conference' wonderful athletic achievements it's still one of the top two or three fan traditions.

PhiDawg

Aug 2, 2023
Name a Big12 school that doesn’t have cowbells….there are a few but not many.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
We aren't going to completely bowl in the SEZ I don't think (meaning fully enclosed. We'll see. Plans on that are probably a couple more years away.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I had a sideline pass a few years ago for a game with Kentucky. Neat experience. However, while loud, the cowbells are not nearly as loud on the field as there are in the seats. I think with the bells pointed up in your hand the noise tends to go up. Anyway, it was a beautiful sound at field level, but actually not as loud as I expected.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
It amazes me how they stop ringing when the hand goes on the ball, and all start up once it is snapped.
Funny thing is, we're not supposed to start ringing again until the play is over. I guess no one of importance has complained about us ringing during the play.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
This isn't true. Only when the center is over the ball.
Perhaps they have changed the rule and I'm not aware. Cowbells originally were allowed under a "traditional noisemaker" exception, as long as we abided by the "institutional noise" rules, i.e. the rules that apply to bands, PA music, etc.

Has that changed?

I know they clarified the "institutional noise" doesn't have to stop until the center is over the ball, but "institutional noise" cannot start again until the whistle blows.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
Perhaps they have changed the rule and I'm not aware. Cowbells originally were allowed under a "traditional noisemaker" exception, as long as we abided by the "institutional noise" rules, i.e. the rules that apply to bands, PA music, etc.

Has that changed?

I know they clarified the "institutional noise" doesn't have to stop until the center is over the ball, but "institutional noise" cannot start again until the whistle blows.
I don't recall that clarification for our dearly beloved and historic cowbells.

Like others, I just remember the bells cannot be tolled while the center is over the ball.

And we do a damn good job of that.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I don't recall that clarification for our dearly beloved and historic cowbells.

Like others, I just remember the bells cannot be tolled while the center is over the ball.

And we do a damn good job of that.
Yeah, we do a great job of letting the visitors get their signals called. We have always rung post snap, and that at least USED to be a rule violation (like I said, maybe they changed the rule and I'm not aware).

I just don't think anyone complained about the bells ringing during play, except for the occasional disgruntled UMiss fan.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login