Southern plays tonight vs ULL on ESPN2...

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
They are the only team to beat Tulane this year, who is in the Top 25 and has a chance to make an NY6 bowl. And USM beat them on the road.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I go back and forth on whether I should root for USM and Jackson State. I have come to grips with Ole Miss, they aren't going away, so I don't really care what they do. And on one hand, I don't think USM and/or JSU affect us at all, but on the other hand the lil ole moo in me thinks they might steal recruits from us if they are good.

The step down to the Sun Belt is sort of an overt step to say, "hey we aren't trying to be a big boy", which makes me want them to do well. JSU has big aspirations and have gotten cocky lately, so I have more trouble with them. But at the same time we do play USM, so I don't want them to jump up and bite us.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I go back and forth on whether I should root for USM and Jackson State. I have come to grips with Ole Miss, they aren't going away, so I don't really care what they do. And on one hand, I don't think USM and/or JSU affect us at all, but on the other hand the lil ole moo in me thinks they might steal recruits from us if they are good.

The step down to the Sun Belt is sort of an overt step to say, "hey we aren't trying to be a big boy", which makes me want them to do well. JSU has big aspirations and have gotten cocky lately, so I have more trouble with them. But at the same time we do play USM, so I don't want them to jump up and bite us.

Most Southern Miss fans would consider the Sun Belt to be a big step up from the new version of CUSA.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Most Southern Miss fans would consider the Sun Belt to be a big step up from the new version of CUSA.
Agree but you know what I mean. They went to a conference that clearly is not going to be P5 anytime soon, in hopes for consistency and stability. They aren't chasing status and money anymore, seems like a clear sign of it.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
If Will Hall keeps it going, that 2023 USM game the week before the Egg Bowl could be pretty tough. Two in-state “rivals” in 6 days. Woof.

Reactions: Mud84

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Most of y'all must not watch USM much. ULL should handle them. USM has the worst offense I've ever seen, and that includes the Gulf Coast Crooming here. Defense is good with that 15 year old DC.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
If Will Hall keeps it going, that 2023 USM game the week before the Egg Bowl could be pretty tough. Two in-state “rivals” in 6 days. Woof.

John Cohen should be fired for (a) playing USM (b) Playing at USM (c) 17ing up our schedule like that

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Should never be scared to play USM. Play them and shut them up. No way they will have the talent we have the next time we play them.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

Jackson State has always been cocky. They are the Ole Miss of Black schools in Mississippi. They think their **** don't stink. They think they are better than the other schools and they are living in the past. They also have a lot of sidewalk alumni just like Ole Miss and they disappear when the team sucks. I pull for Alcorn. They are a Agricultual school. They are a Land Grant institution. I view them as the Miss State in the black school ranks. They hate their in-state rivals they also think their in-state rivals a Cock sucking scum bags.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Should never be scared to play USM. Play them and shut them up. No way they will have the talent we have the next time we play them.
Alabama and Auburn do not mess with the in-state schools unless they are FCS. Arkansas doesn't do it. I think it's worked out for them, there is a CLEAR line showing who the power schools are and who they aren't. You don't see LSU mess with Tech or Tulane very often. Florida never plays UCF, USF once a decade.

But not State. We trying to revert back to the 80s here, where we were on the same plane as both USM and Memphis. Smart thinking.

Reactions: GloryDawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not about being scared to play them, but we shouldn't play them the week before the egg bowl. Also, we should play them with fair terms. I understand we originally threw a bone to Phil, but it needs to be 2-1 and we need some guarantees they're not going to be ****** on ticket access.

Reactions: GloryDawg

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Jackson State has always been cocky. They are the Ole Miss of Black schools in Mississippi. They think their **** don't stink. They think they are better than the other schools and they are living in the past. They also have a lot of sidewalk alumni just like Ole Miss and they disappear when the team sucks. I pull for Alcorn. They are a Agricultual school. They are a Land Grant institution. I view them as the Miss State in the black school ranks. They hate their in-state rivals they also think their in-state rivals a Cock sucking scum bags.
Alcorn is actually the original Land Grant institution in the state and the oldest public HBCU in the country. Created for former slaves. Ole Miss not wanting ag and engineering programs and segregation led to the creation of Mississippi State.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Alcorn is actually the original Land Grant institution in the state and the oldest public HBCU in the country. Created for former slaves. Ole Miss not wanting ag and engineering programs and segregation led to the creation of Mississippi State.
That's why I pull for them and not JSU. Just to add I believe it was a private white school before the Civil War. Then all the students got sent off to war.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
John Cohen should be fired for (a) playing USM (b) Playing at USM (c) 17ing up our schedule like that
Please. This isn’t the 1980s. It’s just another G5 OOC game we’ll win 95% of the time. At least he scheduled someone who might bring a few fans with them (all 10 of them **). Also, depending on if/when the SEC goes to a 9-game schedule, I wouldn’t be surprised if we bought our way out of the Hattiesburg game.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Please. This isn’t the 1980s. It’s just another G5 OOC game we’ll win 95% of the time. At least he scheduled someone who might bring a few fans with them (all 10 of them **). Also, depending on if/when the SEC goes to a 9-game schedule, I wouldn’t be surprised if we bought our way out of the Hattiesburg game.
I don't even care about the Hattiesburg game. That's 3 years away and at least it's the opening game where we should be somewhat fired up to play.

The game NEXT year is the bad one. Rebuilding team, the week before the Egg Bowl at home, and right after we play AT Texas ****ing A&M (who will be very good by the end of next year). Holy ****. If we lose the Egg Bowl this year, and then fumble around next year, that's a stretch that may get least fired. I don't see any coach surviving home losses to USM and Ole Miss back to back. What a terrible Thanksgiving.

Again, talk about reliving the 80s.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

No, we don't need to give them a damn helping hand. Stop giving them our money. Name one team in the SEC that would like that ********.

patdog

May 28, 2007
No, we don't need to give them a damn helping hand. Stop giving them our money. Name one team in the SEC that would like that ********.
You’re seriously overestimating the impact of these games on USM’s budget. We’re not scheduling them to help USM, we’re scheduling them because a 2-for-1 is cheaper than buy games (this is a 2-for-1 even though it was announced as a buy game followed by a home-and-home).

blackjackdog3

Aug 23, 2012
I would love to see the USM AD as our AD one day. He’s a Delta St grad and both he and his wife are from Mississippi.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
You’re seriously overestimating the impact of these games on USM’s budget. We’re not scheduling them to help USM, we’re scheduling them because a 2-for-1 is cheaper than buy games (this is a 2-for-1 even though it was announced as a buy game followed by a home-and-home).

I prefer they rot on the vine without a cent from us. They'll double charge for tickets too. Screw them!

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
My God, man. They play the wildcat BECAUSE their qb situation is so bad.

Good for them that they got some wins this year. But cmon man. This is NOT the Jeff Bower Eagles. And to the person in another post calling for Cohen’s head (yet again) for scheduling the game. You are laughable. These are the kind of games we need to put butts in seats.
We have an instate G5 team that is a decent opponent but has no shot to hang with us on the field. There is NOTHING wrong with playing the Buzzards.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
And don't forget that the colors for Ole Miss & Jackson State are red and blue...

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

And now suddenly I dislike Spider-Man...

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login