Special NMSC Chase Team Announcement

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
You may remember last year me making a post regarding our project to try and get livestream cameras put up across the state to help improve tornado detection and warning upgrades. It's been a long uphill climb with more than one door shut in our faces, but today it is becoming reality. We are soon to have our first two cameras up and operational. One will be located just west of Starkville near the Adaton community and will provide coverage for Starkville and MSU. A second will be located near Maben, MS, and provide coverage for areas north of Starkville and early warning for West Point. Additionally, we ordered our third camera last night which will be located at Macon, MS. This will be a first in the nation...world for that matter...statewide tornado detection camera network when fully implemented.

If anybody would like to make a tax deductible donation to this network, you can go to www.NMSCAS.org and click the donate button. There were times I had gotten pretty discouraged this would ever get off the ground, but we kept fighting and never gave up and now it's realty. I hope to be able to post some pictures of them being installed when that is scheduled.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Didn't think y'all could make that happen, so kudos for the effort. If you are able to say, who or what entity is allowing the camera placement and on what structure or structures?

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Didn't think y'all could make that happen, so kudos for the effort. If you are able to say, who or what entity is allowing the camera placement and on what structure or structures?
Not at all. These first cameras are going on communication towers at 4 County Power Association substations. They are allowing us to use any towers on their properties. My current thinking is to get several cameras installed in their region, and then hopefully use that as leverage to get other power assoc across the state to do a similar deal. They're covering installation as well as donating power and internet. So as we hopefully get more donations in we can buy additional cameras.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Not at all. These first cameras are going on communication towers at 4 County Power Association substations. They are allowing us to use any towers on their properties. My current thinking is to get several cameras installed in their region, and then hopefully use that as leverage to get other power assoc across the state to do a similar deal. They're covering installation as well as donating power and internet. So as we hopefully get more donations in we can buy additional cameras.
The EPAs talk to each other. I would have my contact at 4County reach out to sister EPAs in the region and get y'all a point of contact for further conversations. The EPAs need and want positive PR. Great community service and outreach.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
At worst they can monitor their own employees.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Monroe county would like a word. Nevermind. Our power company cuts the power at the first sound of thunder so nobody would even see the camera feed!

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
The EPAs talk to each other. I would have my contact at 4County reach out to sister EPAs in the region and get y'all a point of contact for further conversations. The EPAs need and want positive PR. Great community service and outreach.
That was my hope that they did. Getting the install, power, and internet donated is huge. That just leaves us buying the cameras and POE injectors. The cameras are taxing enough on our budget.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
That was my hope that they did. Getting the install, power, and internet donated is huge. That just leaves us buying the cameras and POE injectors. The cameras are taxing enough on our budget.
All 26 co-ops in MS are members of this organization. I dealt with them recently on a matter and very helpful. FYI

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
All 26 co-ops in MS are members of this organization. I dealt with them recently on a matter and very helpful. FYI

Appreciate the link.

Reactions: woozman
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login