Spencer Rattler compares, contrasts South Carolina, Oklahoma offensive systems

GoCocksFight2021

Jan 18, 2022
“Just two different offenses,” started Rattler. “Neither is right or wrong. One’s an Air Raid type style offense, and one’s like a balance type system. We’ll run the ball, we’ll get it under center and just doing stuff like NFL teams do. So, that was a big factor for me in coming here. Knowing that could prepare me for the next level possibly. That was a big decision for me.

So, now we hear it directly from Rattler. Of course, his QB coach said the same thing at the time, but people swore that he was making it up and Satterfield and his offense had nothing to do with his decision.

That being said, Satterfield has no excuses this year unless a ton of critical players get injured. Hopefully, the bowl game performance is just a small taste of what is to come.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
“Just two different offenses,” started Rattler. “Neither is right or wrong. One’s an Air Raid type style offense, and one’s like a balance type system. We’ll run the ball, we’ll get it under center and just doing stuff like NFL teams do. So, that was a big factor for me in coming here. Knowing that could prepare me for the next level possibly. That was a big decision for me.

So, now we hear it directly from Rattler. Of course, his QB coach said the same thing at the time, but people swore that he was making it up and Satterfield and his offense had nothing to do with his decision.

That being said, Satterfield has no excuses this year unless a ton of critical players get injured. Hopefully, the bowl game performance is just a small taste of what is to come.
Hopefully the OL will be improved because we should have the "skill" players to score a bunch.

GCJerryUSC

Joined Aug 19, 2001
Jan 17, 2022
Am really impressed with Rattler-the way he talks, his attitude, etc. Hope he stays more than one year. If he can outdo Connor..................

Reactions: funktavious

be cocky

Joined Jan 29, 2019 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 21, 2022
but beamer said that offense was not air raid. they ran a lot. 🤔

Reactions: York cock

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
but beamer said that offense was not air raid. they ran a lot. 🤔
Don’t make me go back and find a post from right before or right after rattler transferred. There was someone on here talking about Mike Leach and the Oklahoma offense being similar. Said Rattler was only putting up numbers because Oklahoma ran an air raid offense. I proceeded to show the stats that verified Oklahoma ran the ball more than they threw it under Riley and this past year. Compared to Leach who threw the ball 63% of the time the media, the fans, or Lincoln Riley himself can call that offense an air raid all they want, however when you run the ball more than you throw it …….it’s not ”air” anything.

You all can google it…u don’t have to believe me. Simply go to OU’s stats on rush attempts/pass attempts. Beamer is correct.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I'll say what i said then. If getting under center is one of your main compliments, that is not a ringing endorsement of the OC.

That being said, I don't expect the first hint of anything other than sunshine and roses froma transfer player speaking in the spring.

I just get the feeling we'll be looking back at the end of this year, with a new OC, wondering what could have been had the new guy got a chance to coach Rattler.

Last edited:
Reactions: York cock

be cocky

Joined Jan 29, 2019 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 21, 2022
I'll say what i said then. If getting under center is one of your main compliments, that is not a ringing endorsement of the OC.

That being said, I don't expect the first hint of anything other than sunshine and roses froma transfer player speaking in the spring.

I just get the feeling we'll be looking back at the end of this year, with a new OC, wondering what could have been had the new guy got a chance to coach Rattler.
i certainly hope not. get through arky and keep the uga game interesting, and i think we’ll be in good shape for the rest of the year.

Reactions: GCJerryUSC

GCJerryUSC

Joined Aug 19, 2001
Jan 17, 2022
i certainly hope not. get through arky and keep the uga game interesting, and i think we’ll be in good shape for the rest of the year.
Our opponents may be somewhat surprised this fall. There is a new sherrif in town and a new attitude to go with it.
If Rattler and company beat Ga, I will know there is a FB god who loves the GCs.
Just consider for a moment what SEC membership has done for USC-no SEC no Spurrier or Holtz or Shane or Rattler.

Reactions: be cocky

DeBoer31

Joined Jun 19, 2015
Jan 28, 2022
Don’t make me go back and find a post from right before or right after rattler transferred. There was someone on here talking about Mike Leach and the Oklahoma offense being similar. Said Rattler was only putting up numbers because Oklahoma ran an air raid offense. I proceeded to show the stats that verified Oklahoma ran the ball more than they threw it under Riley and this past year. Compared to Leach who threw the ball 63% of the time the media, the fans, or Lincoln Riley himself can call that offense an air raid all they want, however when you run the ball more than you throw it …….it’s not ”air” anything.

You all can google it…u don’t have to believe me. Simply go to OU’s stats on rush attempts/pass attempts. Beamer is correct.
That someone was me. SMH. I guess S. Rattler and I agree. As previously discussed ad nauseum...Riley's version of AR (Which i think some have labeled Power Raid , and another name I forget) evolved b/c AR set the B12 on fire the last 20 years. All those Hesimans, National Champ contenders from OU, A&M, Baylor....Air Raid. But about 10 years ago B12 defenses began personneling against AR heavily...and it opened up more run. The basis of AR is to take what the Defense gives you...which is what Riley did. I would bet we see a slight lean back to more pass now that he's in the Pac 12.

But, to the point I think you're avoiding. Rattler just confirmed everything I was arguing w/ you a few months ago in that paragraph....about OUs offense and the offense our staff is attempting to run here at SC. I'm still not a fan. I hope to god what we're doing works...but we'd better be able to personnel up a little better in order to compete with GA, Bama, Auburn, FL, Tenn and A&M running it b/c they have the defensive personnel to defend what we're doing. One other part not addressed that was disputed. Our offense will not put up nearly anything close to AR numbers. That's fine....there are many points to make about AR not helping your defense. BUt.... I hope nobody is expecting S. Rattler to come out with J. Hurts/KylerMurray/Baker Mayfield/ Johnny Manziel/Patrick Mahomes/Robert Griffin/Josh Allen/Mason Rudloph/Matt Corrall/Sam Howell/ the list goes on and on .....numbers. Because we just ain't doing that (as stated by our QB who opted out of that AR system to come play for us in what we are trying to do offensively.)

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
That someone was me. SMH. I guess S. Rattler and I agree. As previously discussed ad nauseum...Riley's version of AR (Which i think some have labeled Power Raid , and another name I forget) evolved b/c AR set the B12 on fire the last 20 years. All those Hesimans, National Champ contenders from OU, A&M, Baylor....Air Raid. But about 10 years ago B12 defenses began personneling against AR heavily...and it opened up more run. The basis of AR is to take what the Defense gives you...which is what Riley did. I would bet we see a slight lean back to more pass now that he's in the Pac 12.

But, to the point I think you're avoiding. Rattler just confirmed everything I was arguing w/ you a few months ago in that paragraph....about OUs offense and the offense our staff is attempting to run here at SC. I'm still not a fan. I hope to god what we're doing works...but we'd better be able to personnel up a little better in order to compete with GA, Bama, Auburn, FL, Tenn and A&M running it b/c they have the defensive personnel to defend what we're doing. One other part not addressed that was disputed. Our offense will not put up nearly anything close to AR numbers. That's fine....there are many points to make about AR not helping your defense. BUt.... I hope nobody is expecting S. Rattler to come out with J. Hurts/KylerMurray/Baker Mayfield/ Johnny Manziel/Patrick Mahomes/Robert Griffin/Josh Allen/Mason Rudloph/Matt Corrall/Sam Howell/ the list goes on and on .....numbers. Because we just ain't doing that (as stated by our QB who opted out of that AR system to come play for us in what we are trying to do offensively.)
I have always been a more "balanced offense" advocate. I'm not yet convinced that Satterfield is the guy to coordinate our offense. He has never produced a Top 50 offense, which should be the minimum. Hopefully he will this season. I'm pulling for him. I'm pulling for our Gamecocks.

Reactions: sdwexler

McCock

Joined Sep 2, 2001
Jan 18, 2022

I have a slight point of disagreement with your post. The scheme that Satterfield wants to run (divorced from any questions of whether he can teach it or game-plan it) doesn't preclude team or QB productivity that is on-par with an AR offense, at least adjusted for SEC defensive quality that is traditionally superior to that of the Big 12.

Rattler's 2020 season stats (statistically his best at OU) were: 3,031 yards, 68% completion, 9.6 yds/attempt, 28 TD/7 INT.

By comparison, I would consider Dylan Thompson's 2014 stat line to be fairly comparable: 3,564 yards, 60% completion, 7.9 yds/attempt, 26 TD/11 INT. Although considerably less pass-heavy, Connor Shaw also had a somewhat comparable season the prior year too, especially in terms of efficiency: 2,447 yards, 63.4% completion, 8.6 yds/attempt, 24 TDs/1 INT. Those offenses used Spurrier's largely pro style passing concepts with some read option thrown in. Paired with strong run games (199 and 161 ypg in 2013 and 2014, respectively), those QBs led offenses that tallied 452 and 443 total yards per game, respectively.

Granted, those two offensive rosters had a lot of future pros at skill positions, but we appear to have significant talent on the offensive side of the ball this season too, or at least significantly more than we did last year. Any offense, including more traditional ones, can put up big numbers if it is taught/executed well and has competent playcalling and good players.

It remains to be seen whether Satterfield can creatively game-plan from week to week and have the offense performing at a high level, and also whether the new additions achieve to the level that everyone seems to expect. I don't disagree that an AR-style offense may have a larger margin for error and can maximize lesser players, but I don't think that automatically translates to an AR offense being hugely more productive or a superior option for our conference or our personnel.

I understand that my QB analogy isn't perfect because defenses have evolved in the past 8-9 years and because Satterfield is no Spurrier. However, I do think that the degree of improvement in our roster this year will be a more significant determiner of our offensive success than any schematic changes we undertook or didn't undertake, especially when continuity is factored in.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login