Spencer Sanders

HailStateTate

Oct 30, 2020
The closer we get to the season the more it looks like Dart will be QB1 over there. What the hell was Sanders thinking?? Wonder if Kiffin made some promises that he can't/won't fulfill

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The closer we get to the season the more it looks like Dart will be QB1 over there. What the hell was Sanders thinking?? Wonder if Kiffin made some promises that he can't/won't fulfill
What, specifically, has happened "the closer we get to the season" that has given you this idea, that was not there before? Nothing has happened.

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
It seems like one of the most boneheaded decisions I have ever seen someone make in college sports. Like C Webber except if C Webber had a significant amount a time to call a timeout.

I am getting a little fed up of the best QB room conversation coming from the talking heads. ONLY ONE CAN PLAY AT A TIME AND TWO OF THEM ARE GONE AFTER THIS YEAR.

Reactions: HailStateTate

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I think Sanders thought he would have better offers than he ended up having.

If you watched him at OK State, he kinda sucked. Like arguably was the only reason they didn’t make the playoff in 2021.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Barn fans have come out with a narrative that his transcript was so poor there were only a few schools that would admit him. I doubt that is true.

bigbub50

Jan 3, 2020
Hopefully he’ll settle into his backup roll and be a positive force in the locker room up north
I may be wrong, but if he doesn’t start, I don’t see him finishing the season as a rebel. I predict he will be a huge locker room cancer if things don’t go his way. He has started every year of his college career. I may be wrong, but this won’t end well. All reports from spring practice was that Dart had improved (which is normal in their second year in a system). I would be shocked if dart doesn’t start game 1 if he is healthy.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
The other issue is Howard. He left LSU to get 2nd string snaps in 2023 and start in 2024. Daniels is the clear starter, and Nussmeier is the 2nd string (and probably 2024 starter). If somehow Sanders or Dart decide they are OK with 2nd string, Howard will not be OK with scout team duties for another year. He could have stayed at LSU for that.

Reactions: drumrcraig

bigbub50

Jan 3, 2020
If I’m not mistaken, Dart may have a Covid year in 2024 if he wants it. Sanders does not.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Dart was always going to be their starter this fall. If one of the other guys don’t like it & transfer out, so what? Kiffin will just recruit someone else from the portal to replace them.

bigbub50

Jan 3, 2020
Dart was always going to be their starter this fall. If one of the other guys don’t like it & transfer out, so what? Kiffin will just recruit someone else from the portal to replace them.
All three of their qb’s have used their 1 free transfer. They could but would have to sit out the next season without a waiver.

patdog

May 28, 2007
All three of their qb’s have used their 1 free transfer. They could but would have to sit out the next season without a waiver.
Exactly. They can transfer out if they want to. But Kiffin is holding the trump card on them. He can play the best QB (Dart) and not even worry about who doesn’t like it. If they’re not happy, it’s not his problem.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Be funny they did take the NIL money and run. Sit out one season and get another check from another school. If you see that you are not going to get to play just quit and then transfer.

bigbub50

Jan 3, 2020
Exactly. They can transfer out if they want to. But Kiffin is holding the trump card on them. He can play the best QB (Dart) and not even worry about who doesn’t like it. If they’re not happy, it’s not his problem.
And this is something that a lot of ppl don’t get yet. It’s more valuable to get a young talented player out of the portal than a recruit out of high school. If you get them from the portal, their one free transfer is gone and they are trapped like the old days. And theoretically you could pay to get a freshman out of the portal and then not pay them near as much for the rest of their eligibility. They have lost their bargaining power. Of course they won’t be as happy, but what else they gonna do? Hardly anyone wants to sit out a year. If a player transfers early in their eligibility, they have lost their negotiating power after the first year with the new school.

Reactions: patdog

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I thought Sanders was pretty darn good in 2022 at OK State. Certainly better than previous years. Even though I'm sure he got a decent payday, I don't know why you would leave a school in the P5 where you were the guaranteed starter to transfer to another P5 school where you were better than a 50/50 chance to be a backup? Especially if you have any aspirations of trying to get drafted or even an NFL FA deal.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
If I’m not mistaken, Dart may have a Covid year in 2024 if he wants it. Sanders does not.
Dart is only a junior
Dart is only a junior. His first season at USC was ‘21. I don’t see him leaving early for the draft after this year. He’s good but not that good

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
And this is something that a lot of ppl don’t get yet. It’s more valuable to get a young talented player out of the portal than a recruit out of high school. If you get them from the portal, their one free transfer is gone and they are trapped like the old days. And theoretically you could pay to get a freshman out of the portal and then not pay them near as much for the rest of their eligibility. They have lost their bargaining power. Of course they won’t be as happy, but what else they gonna do? Hardly anyone wants to sit out a year. If a player transfers early in their eligibility, they have lost their negotiating power after the first year with the new school.

Great perspective that I hadn't thought of.

bigbub50

Jan 3, 2020
Great perspective that I hadn't thought of.
It’s somewhat similar to what we see in college baseball and the draft. If the drafted player has more college eligibility then they have more negotiating power for signing bonus. This is lost if their college eligibility is exhausted.

if a college athlete has used their one free transfer, then their negotiating power is also lost for Nil at their current school. For example, Ole miss doesn’t have to fear Walker (LSU transfer) transferring again without a ncaa waiver.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login