Spurrier Tweet

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
May have picked someone up this morning. Likely the Baylor kid if I had to guess. Bama also has a wr transferring that some of our guys have been retweeting

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Ultimately, athletes want to play and be happy doing it.

Pound for pound, we are owning the NIL/portal era of college football.

After the shine of all the fancy things wear off, athletes, like any other human, tend to revalue what's important. If we can offer playing time, stable coaching, and a healthy locker room, there's no reason we shouldn't be successful in the transfer portal.

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
I am pleasantly surprises and impressed...

I don't know about NIL, but I anticipated the Transfer Portal to be less than favorable to us, and I expected Ole Miss to play it like a fiddle.

Aug 22, 2012
Here’s my question: How many of these guys are not playing at their current spot because of the roster and how many of them weren’t playing because of their own limitations? I want to be excited but transfers have hurt us as much a they’ve helped us in my limited recollection.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Pound for pound, we are owning the NIL/portal era of college football.

Let’s analyze that for a second:

Shavers - bust

Lashley - hard to say full bust because he started, but not great and likely could have gotten similar production elsewhere from another player in the portal.

Polk - Good one that may break our WR NFL draft drought

Calvin - mostly a nonfactor

Costello - massive bust

Jalen Green - certainly underwhelming based on his profile.

Randy Charlton - contributes, which is probably the best case scenario for him given where he came from. Not a bust but not a guy where we couldn’t have gotten another similar player from somewhere else fairly easily.

So overall, 7 players there. One true impact player out of 7. 2 or 3 guys out there filling a role but not moving the needle too much. 2-3 busts. I certainly wouldn’t say we are “owning” anything based on that.

Last edited:

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Shavers was a real shame. He had the speed you wanted. But looking forward I'd love to roll the dice with the four portal guys we've gotten in the last two weeks. These guys have already been through a D1 spring training or two. They should be ready to roll from an athletic and fundamental standpoint. Just need to get accustomed to our coaches and playbook.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Kinda surprised with this one. We obviously are looking for bigger body WRs more lately. Robinson hasn't really played much at UGA. Had a ton of injuries. It's a move that'll either hit big or he'll be in the portal again after next year.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
You're not considering the fact most of these players were better than the alternative we had inline. I can assure you Leach isn't starting anyone for political reasons.

The transferred filled a need. Not saying any of them are all-world, but they were upgrades for the most part.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I don't know about NIL, but I anticipated the Transfer Portal to be less than favorable to us, and I expected Ole Miss to play it like a fiddle.

I think we will end up with more 4star's than ever with the portal.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
It's a move that'll either hit big or he'll be in the portal again after next year.

A player is allowed one transfer without sitting out a year. Sitting a year will prevent most players from entering the portal more than once.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
You're not considering the fact most of these players were better than the alternative we had inline. I can assure you Leach isn't starting anyone for political reasons.

The transferred filled a need. Not saying any of them are all-world, but they were upgrades for the most part.

I’m not saying it was a waste to go get those guys. I’m just saying we’re not really doing any better than anybody else within our tier of programs, and that we aren’t “owning” the NIL / transfer portal era like the OP stated. You show me any FBS program, and I’ll show you at least 1-2 high impact guys that they brought in through the portal, plus several role players as well….at minimum. We aren’t special in that department.

FlyMaroon

Oct 29, 2012
I think Shavers would've really hit his stride this year and bailed too early after seeing Costello implode facing SEC speed & D scheme. Even our average WRs had good years once Rogers became more comfortable in the system this season. I hope to never see Lashley again and I'm ashamed I ever felt bad he chose Bama over us initially. The others are starters which is what we're after but it's definitely a mixed bag. UGA and Bama bench warmers are likely starters for us fwiw.

Still mad Green missed an unblocked, absolute gift-wrapped sack on the goal line vs LSU, which cost us 7 in a 28-25 L. He made Max fn Johnson look like Lamar Jackson.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
So college football isn’t over?

ETA: maybe I’m confusing you with Go Budaw. My sincerest apologies.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Shavers was a real shame. He had the speed you wanted. But looking forward I'd love to roll the dice with the four portal guys we've gotten in the last two weeks. These guys have already been through a D1 spring training or two. They should be ready to roll from an athletic and fundamental standpoint. Just need to get accustomed to our coaches and playbook.

We’ll certainly see….I’m happy to have all of them. We’ll have to keep working the portal either way just to sustain our current 6-8 win per year status, so I hope we continue to hit on more and more of them to make the future sales pitch easier for other guys looking for PT. Just trying to manage expectations.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
None of those schools have signed the type of class we did this year along with the key transfers we’ve gotten.

NIL/PORTAL ERA

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Let’s analyze that for a second:

Shavers - bust

Lashley - hard to say full bust because he started, but not great and likely could have gotten similar production elsewhere from another player in the portal.

Polk - Good one that may break our WR NFL draft drought

Calvin - mostly a nonfactor

Costello - massive bust

Jalen Green - certainly underwhelming based on his profile.

Randy Charlton - contributes, which is probably the best case scenario for him given where he came from. Not a bust but not a guy where we couldn’t have gotten another similar player from somewhere else fairly easily.

So overall, 7 players there. One true impact player out of 7. 2 or 3 guys out there filling a role but not moving the needle too much. 2-3 busts. I certainly wouldn’t say we are “owning” anything based on that.
What an idiotic take. I can’t even begin to break it down it’s so impressively stupid.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
None of those schools have signed the type of class we did this year along with the key transfers we’ve gotten.

NIL/PORTAL ERA

Ole Miss and Arkansas each signed five 4* guys in the 247 composite, currently have higher average player ratings, and have higher class ranks on 247. We signed a total of two 4* guys. With the transfers, we’ll see. Can’t know the impact till fall camp at the earliest. Overall, I’ve seen nothing that says we won’t end up like we always do….mid 20’s in the final recruiting rankings after February and something like 9th or 10th in the SEC there. Transfer portal additions should be beneficial but not total gamechangers. That’s just where we’re at.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012

He's almost never played. Was hurt a lot in HS and has been hurt for two years at UGA. So I disagree. There's no proof he's good.

Last edited:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
What an idiotic take. I can’t even begin to break it down it’s so impressively stupid.

Honest question….how does the constant insecurity feel? The overwhelming, inescapable regret that you can’t just magically hit the reset button on all the relationships you have with every single soul that is unfortunate enough to know you in real life….like you can with folks on this messageboard with that next new username. That must be quite the burden to bear. I feel sorry for you.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Honest question….how does the constant insecurity feel? The overwhelming, inescapable regret that you can’t just magically hit the reset button on all the relationships you have with every single soul that is unfortunate enough to know you in real life….like you can with folks on this messageboard with that next new username. That must be quite the burden to bear. I feel sorry for you.
Not sure about that, but you really do need to be quiet regarding your evaluation of the portal. You just look like a negative dipshit.

NIL too for that matter. All that negativity and depression isn’t healthy.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Budaw, you have made the list. DeSoto and I are on it as well. It's the special list where he logs in and out of multiple usernames to downvote you... Like the downvoted are taxable or some other form of punishment.

Never has this quote applied more than switch goat.

View attachment 23607

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Budaw, you have made the list. DeSoto and I are on it as well. It's the special list where he logs in and out of multiple usernames to downvote you... Like the downvoted are taxable or some other form of punishment.

Never has this quote applied more than switch goat.

View attachment 23607

I count his downvotes as upvotes….so jokes on him I suppose. The more the merrier. Last thing I want is that SOB agreeing with me on just about anything. Gave up on extended debates there long ago too….life is too short.

Last edited:

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I wouldn't call Costello a "massive bust" when he single-handedly won an SEC road game for us. (I mean, not really single-handedly, but I think we almost certainly lose if he doesn't make the trip.)

He wasn't really the SEC QB we all wanted him to be, but he'll always have that one afternoon in Baton Rouge.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Given all that happened that year, I’m reluctant to label anyone on the 2020 team as busts.

I think that season should just be considered a Mulligan Year.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Great banter l, but serious question. I thought spurrier took another job after the season? Why is he sending out tweets about out new transfer wr?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login