Standard Life Going to Auction

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
The King Edward renovation was nice for a minute but has been taken over by hoodlums in recent years. Cars line Capitol Street on Friday and Saturday nights and craziness happens around that daquiri bar across the street. They have driven away a lot of the Mayflower old timers.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The King Edward renovation was nice for a minute but has been taken over by hoodlums in recent years. Cars line Capitol Street on Friday and Saturday nights and craziness happens around that daquiri bar across the street. They have driven away a lot of the Mayflower old timers.
Shame. The whole downtown has a wealth of potential. Hopefully the new Capitol Police can clean some of that up.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Shame. The whole downtown has a wealth of potential. Hopefully the new Capitol Police can clean some of that up.
That was the plan but I have yet to see it. The homeless problem downtown is as bad as it has ever been. It's a common sight to see people walking up and down High Street, Jefferson, North, and State Streets during business hours screaming, walking into traffic, peeing against buildings, etc. Wife's office building faces State Street and they have had several instances where they have seen a man walk down the street with no pants and have seen him go in between buildings to jerk off.

The old church across from Carter Jewelers at the corner of High and State is filled with trash and vagrants.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
Used to work in that building during the 80s for Standard Life. That was a fun company to work for until they were bought out and stripped out in about 1987. Had some great company picnics on the Rez. Also got a 5% of annual salary Christmas bonus each year that was personally handed out to each employee by the owner/president.

Reactions: dorndawg

HotMop

May 8, 2006
That was the plan but I have yet to see it. The homeless problem downtown is as bad as it has ever been. It's a common sight to see people walking up and down High Street, Jefferson, North, and State Streets during business hours screaming, walking into traffic, peeing against buildings, etc. Wife's office building faces State Street and they have had several instances where they have seen a man walk down the street with no pants and have seen him go in between buildings to jerk off.

The old church across from Carter Jewelers at the corner of High and State is filled with trash and vagrants.
You're adding to the appeal.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I've worked downtown since 1995, it was teaming with professionals back then and new restaurants would open every few months (and usually close a few months later). Even before COVID, the number of professionals had dropped biggly. Drive down Highland Colony and you'll see where they went. Now even many medial practices are vacating Jxn, Flowood is teaming with medical specialties (and more stuff is under construction now).

I remember 10-15 years ago when Ben Allen predicted that downtown would be full of upscale residents by the mid 2010s.

I truly think that current city leadership wants to transform the city into some type of social/business hub for minorities, the Mayor's vision has been stating as making Jackson a radical city.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Unless city leadership undergoes a huge shift when it comes to crime, business development, providing reliable municipal services, etc., and stop the graft, that will not happen. Graft happens everywhere, but when elected leaders are getting a little under the table and can still pushing the community forward, everyone can live with it.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012

Is that wrong?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I've worked downtown since 1995, it was teaming with professionals back then and new restaurants would open every few months (and usually close a few months later). Even before COVID, the number of professionals had dropped biggly. Drive down Highland Colony and you'll see where they went. Now even many medial practices are vacating Jxn, Flowood is teaming with medical specialties (and more stuff is under construction now).

I remember 10-15 years ago when Ben Allen predicted that downtown would be full of upscale residents by the mid 2010s.

I truly think that current city leadership wants to transform the city into some type of social/business hub for minorities, the Mayor's vision has been stating as making Jackson a radical city.
This is what I call radical

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

Jackson is the ultimate microcosm of Mississippi. An absolute refusal to move forward and not let go of the past because muh hurt feelings. And it’s a two-way street.

Full disclosure, I love Jackson and Mississippi.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

It's going to have to be mainly entertainment. And it doesn't have to be awesome, it just has to not suck, then grow from there. These things are usually spurred on by a sports facility, whether that's MiLB, a new arena, or whatever. Restaurants, bars, things like that. And the great thing about Jackson is that it has the bones. It has the government and business presence. And there is SOME growth, it just may not all be actually quote on quote downtown. Eastover area still viable.

Unless city leadership undergoes a huge shift when it comes to crime, business development, providing reliable municipal services, etc., and stop the graft, that will not happen. Graft happens everywhere, but when elected leaders are getting a little under the table and can still pushing the community forward, everyone can live with it.

You're correct, and none of that crap will work. They have no plans, just talking points. And you're right that current idiotic leadership like Lumumba's will have to leave. We'd be much better off with Kenneth Stokes in charge. At least he understands the real plan. The radical woke stuff is just absolutely stupid, and it's a shame they can't see that it doesn't work.

ETA: This site is 10 kinds of 17ed up with the quotes, so I hope you can decipher that.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
It's going to have to be mainly entertainment. And it doesn't have to be awesome, it just has to not suck, then grow from there. These things are usually spurred on by a sports facility, whether that's MiLB, a new arena, or whatever. Restaurants, bars, things like that. And the great thing about Jackson is that it has the bones. It has the government and business presence. And there is SOME growth, it just may not all be actually quote on quote downtown. Eastover area still viable.

You're correct, and none of that crap will work. They have no plans, just talking points. And you're right that current idiotic leadership like Lumumba's will have to leave. We'd be much better off with Kenneth Stokes in charge. At least he understands the real plan. The radical woke stuff is just absolutely stupid, and it's a shame they can't see that it doesn't work.

ETA: This site is 10 kinds of 17ed up with the quotes, so I hope you can decipher that.
What's left to bring to Jackson entertainment wise? Harvey Johnson's biggest mistake is sitting over in Purl.

The Braves could have helped revitalize the area around Capitol Street and Gallatin and it possibly could have spilled over into some kind of entertainment district around the Farish Street area. Now, the whole area is beyond saving. The convention center is a shiny waste of space, the planetarium is going to rot. Nothing goes on in the Coliseum besides hoops and rodeo. Bars, restaurants and any other entity that would locate to an entertainment district is not going to pick Jackson until the crime and infrastructure problems are addressed and that is not ever going to happen with LaDumba in office.

Then beyond that you have to fight the "I aint never stepping foot into Jackson" crowd that continues to take over the metro area. Add to that the divide between state "leadership" and the city of Jackson, we are about to see a cluster that is not going to be fixable in our lifetime.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
What's left to bring to Jackson entertainment wise? Harvey Johnson's biggest mistake is sitting over in Purl.
I think the city should cordon off a few blocks (either Farish Street or an area around Cathead) and make it into a mini Beale Street (on a much, much, much smaller scale). It would be a start. The city would have to be serious about security and have a large police presence in the area, when it is open. Start small, with food/beer trucks and local bands/DJs, let it grow organically. Don't come in with pie in sky dreams. The city hasn't done much to support Forndren, it mostly grew on its own.

Create a party atmosphere, young folks would love a place to drink and hang out.

Reactions: Motodawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
What's left to bring to Jackson entertainment wise?

Dudes, y'all must not pay much attention.

Earlier this week, HD posted a podcast with Richard Greenlee of Wratchet who is based in the Jackson area.

He works a lot with Arden Barnett who books shows in...

guess where...

Would you believe at Duling Hall in Jackson as well as other places?

Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin

As far as larger events are concerned...

The Dixie National Rodeo is going on right now.
Next month, it's the St. Paddy's Day Parade.
Mississippi Makers Fest is in May.
Cathead Jam is happening in June.

If you want to know what's going on, this might help:

Reactions: Mr. Cook

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I think the city should cordon off a few blocks (either Farish Street or an area around Cathead) and make it into a mini Beale Street (on a much, much, much smaller scale). It would be a start. The city would have to be serious about security and have a large police presence in the area, when it is open. Start small, with food/beer trucks and local bands/DJs, let it grow organically. Don't come in with pie in sky dreams. The city hasn't done much to support Forndren, it mostly grew on its own.

Create a party atmosphere, young folks would love a place to drink and hang out.
Not bad. But I was starting my career downtown when the Farish St. district idea was proposed and I'm 49 now. unfortunately Jackson and the downtown area are in much, much, much worse shape than it was back then.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Dudes, y'all must not pay much attention.

Earlier this week, HD posted a podcast with Richard Greenlee of Wratchet who is based in the Jackson area.

He works a lot with Arden Barnett who books shows in...

guess where...

Would you believe at Duling Hall in Jackson as well as other places?

Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin

As far as larger events are concerned...

The Dixie National Rodeo is going on right now.
Next month, it's the St. Paddy's Day Parade.
Mississippi Makers Fest is in May.
Cathead Jam is happening in June.

If you want to know what's going on, this might help:

Those events are great. But they don't do anything to better the area. They bring people into town for a few hours and then they leave and the riff raff comes back out

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Those events are great. But they don't do anything to better the area. They bring people into town for a few hours and then they leave and the riff raff comes back out

Disagree big time.

The bases for all those events are centered around restaurants and in some cases hotels & they keep the service industry folks hired.

And you're asking too much. Do you really expect *this* out of Jackson...

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Your optimism for downtown Jackson has reached the level of naivety. So many variables about that potential that won't ever happen man. The people in Jackson don't want it to change. No investors are willing to dump the kind of money into downtown Jackson either to ever make that happen. Sure maybe some federal money but that only gets so far and corruptness of Jackson politics will waste it. On top of that, people have to show a willingness to go from Madison Brandon Clinton to these developments to support it because there isn't enough support in Jackson for it. And customers or people that do spend time there they don't want or can't enforce with the police. The city police are also corrupt. There isn't enough want to from those that actually matter with the capital to make it happen. A 6 figure family living in Brandon has only a small part in this it's the 7-9 figure folks out there that have to be willing to dump the money there but they don't see any value in doing so because the 5-6 six figure families in Clinton, Brandon, madison don't go to what's already there anyway and to develop it to the point they would would cost billions and at the same time would require running out a majority of the Jackson city council that like things the way they are.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Used to work in that building during the 80s for Standard Life. That was a fun company to work for until they were bought out and stripped out in about 1987. Had some great company picnics on the Rez. Also got a 5% of annual salary Christmas bonus each year that was personally handed out to each employee by the owner/president.
Makes me think of Clark griswold

Reactions: MSUDOG24

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

It would take quite the incentive to get people to put in there snd to get people to come. Jackson doesn't have the appeal that even Memphis does for that kind of thing. Jackson has been screwed for a long time.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
THIS is what a lot of people fail to realize. Jackson is the way it is because that's exactly the way the people that run the city, and the people that elect them, want it to be. It's getting worse, not better.
We all know that. But eventually, enough people outside the city will want it to change enough to make it happen.

I’ve lived in a lot of cities. Most Jackson Metro folks have ONLY lived there. So I really don’t listen to the negativity. In 2003, Birmingham and Montgomery were talked about the same way.

And don’t start a useless debate about how Birmingham is better than Jackson. Not trying to win a contest. Simply trying to make Jackson not suck and be better.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Not bad. But I was starting my career downtown when the Farish St. district idea was proposed and I'm 49 now. unfortunately Jackson and the downtown area are in much, much, much worse shape than it was back then.
The old tattered sign touting the administration and planners in charge of that revitalization is still hanging on a building there.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We all know that. But eventually, enough people outside the city will want it to change enough to make it happen.

I’ve lived in a lot of cities. Most Jackson Metro folks have ONLY lived there. So I really don’t listen to the negativity. In 2003, Birmingham and Montgomery were talked about the same way.

And don’t start a useless debate about how Birmingham is better than Jackson. Not trying to win a contest. Simply trying to make Jackson not suck and be better.
I really hope you are right.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Anybody got 5 mil laying around for this property in the “thriving” downtown area.

Is this anywhere near what used to be the old "Downtowner Hotel" in Jackson. It was in that area. This will probably pre-date 95% of this board.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Is this anywhere near what used to be the old "Downtowner Hotel" in Jackson. It was in that area. This will probably pre-date 95% of this board.
Yep.

The Downtowner/Edison Walthall & King Edward are on Capitol.

The Walthall is an apartment building now.

I miss Cotton (RIP)

Here’s an old Mississippi Preservation blog entry about it

Reactions: theoriginalSALTYdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Yep.

I miss Cotton (RIP)

I remember hitting the bar there in the late 90s/early 2000s. By the mid 2000s, the guest rooms had gotten in terrible shape.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Yep.

I miss Cotton (RIP)

I had forgotten about the restaurant in there. Thanks for the info......

Reactions: Maroon Eagle
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login