Stanford ends Sigma Chi lease…

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
The fraternity’s got to sell a LOT of prosthetic legs…

Is this a possibility with 16th section land as well? I know there are some neighborhoods that are built on 16th section land and I assume the land leases are pretty lengthy, but does that mean at some point when the lease is up the school district can just reclaim the neighborhood?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Is this a possibility with 16th section land as well? I know there are some neighborhoods that are built on 16th section land and I assume the land leases are pretty lengthy, but does that mean at some point when the lease is up the school district can just reclaim the neighborhood?
I think most of the ground leases for 16th section land are pretty long term. I think for a while they may have done 99 year leases and then because of some abuses they limited how long the lease can be, although for residential land I think they can still do 40 years with a right of renewal for another 25. Never could wrap my mind around building (or financing) a residential house on leased land.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The fraternity’s got to sell a LOT of prosthetic legs…

Sounds like Sigma Chi lawyers screwed up when they settled originally. They had a great argument that Stanford couldn't in good faith suspend Sigma Chi and then use that as an argument that they weren't an active organization. Especially when the reason for the suspension was for the criminal acts of a non-student. Either there is something really bad the university helped cover up to get that settlement signed, or Stanford made a lot of promises to Sigma Chi that they wouldn't actually enforce their rights under the settlement as written and the Sigma Chi representatives were stupid enough to believe them.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I think most of the ground leases for 16th section land are pretty long term. I think for a while they may have done 99 year leases and then because of some abuses they limited how long the lease can be, although for residential land I think they can still do 40 years with a right of renewal for another 25. Never could wrap my mind around building (or financing) a residential house on leased land.
Happens in neighborhoods around the Rez all the time...

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
If you did not read the original article , looks like this has been going on / in process for several years, and that the
frat did not operate during all of that time.
Not like it was completely out of the blue.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
There's a guy riding around the Madison area with a billboard sign in the back of his truck who is SUPER MAD at Delbert Hosemann about something about losing his "family land" over what I assume was a completely legal reappaisal. Delbert hasn't been SoS in almost four years and dude is still riding around with that sign.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack
Jul 5, 2020
Not to be cute, but you're always leasing your land from the sovereign.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not to be cute, but you're always leasing your land from the sovereign.
Pretty big difference between having to pay property taxes which are generally tied to political will of neighbors that have to pay the same proportion (with exceptions for places like Jackson where property tax payers are outvoted and places like California with whatever Prop caps their property taxes) and the sovereign just deciding that you no longer get to have your property regardless of whether you can pay taxes and without having to compensate you.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login