Stans to Memphis

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Memphis is fixing to load up on talent. That's what Rick is good at doing. X's and O's not so much.
That's what college sports has become nowadays. Straight up talent accumulation. X's and O's are in the pros, or in the odd outposts.

Nowadays about the best you can hope for as far as X's and O's are just basic fundamentals, and just being up to speed on the current trends (like a Nate Oats, with the analytics).

I will say that Stans ain't terrible at fundamental basketball. He just can't really handle the disciplinary part.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogBlitz

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
A myth

We consistently played good defense and rebounded well under Stansbury. In-game adjustments were never his strong suit, but the idea that he just recruited talent and then did nothing else was pervasive but never true
Well sometime perception is not the truth.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Memphis should have never lost to FAU. They let the Owls hang around to closely when they had the chance to put them away. Stans and Penny are a pretty good combo. Recruiting definitely won't be a problem. Penny is not bad at in-game strategy either. Being a former NBA Allstar, he's seen it all. Having Stans to bounce things off of is not bad either. All Memphis needs to do year in and year out is keep the top 3-4 players in the Metro Memphis area and they should be in the Sweet 16 every year.

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
We always had a few shooters under Stans. Too bad, he could’ve helped bring some in, heck im sure he had a little to do with us getting Tolu, our prized scoring threat right now…maybe Mempho has an unhappy shooter he can send us…

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
We always had a few shooters under Stans. Too bad, he could’ve helped bring some in, heck im sure he had a little to do with us getting Tolu, our prized scoring threat right now…maybe Mempho has an unhappy shooter he can send us…
We already tried that experiment:

Reactions: cristilmethod

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Memphis is fixing to load up on talent. That's what Rick is good at doing. X's and O's not so much.
And that’s the same stupid horsesh1t the mouth breathers on this board vehemently aligned with 15+ years ago.

It’s as stupid of a take now as it is then. Stansbury is far and away the best coach we’ve had since Babe McCarthy. His best recruits never even made it to campus.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
And that’s the same stupid horsesh1t the mouth breathers on this board vehemently aligned with 15+ years ago.

It’s as stupid of a take now as it is then. Stansbury is far and away the best coach we’ve had since Babe McCarthy. His best recruits never even made it to campus.
He is good until he gets into the big game. Always got out coach. With Williams leading and him recruiting we were the best we ever were. I was not advocating for him to be fired. I wanted him to stay. Seems like we always had a chance for a good team with him. Rick Ray was really horrible.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yep. We still aren't back to where he had us.
What point in time are you referring to?
'04?
'08?
'12?

Stans retired/fired/quit after a season where we went from being ranked 20th on Feb 6th to not even making the NCAA Tournament just 1 month later. Oh, and then losing in the NIT first round to UMass.
And that season was right after a year where the team didn't even make a postseason tournament.

That's where Stans left us. Stans took us there. Are we not back to that?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
'04?
'08?
'12?

Stans retired/fired/quit after a season where we went from being ranked 20th on Feb 6th to not even making the NCAA Tournament just 1 month later. Oh, and then losing in the NIT first round to UMass.
And that season was right after a year where the team didn't even make a postseason tournament.

STFU

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
'04?
'08?
'12?

Don’t bring facts into this!!

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Stans led the program to some really awesome seasons, but he also led us to some embarrassing moments. The last 2 seasons were a shltshow of drama, inconsistent play, and wasted opportunity.

It's fair to say nobody has gotten the program back to where it was between 2001 and 2005.
But let's be clear- Stans also couldn't get the program back to the success it had in that 4 season run.

Reactions: trob115

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Our best effort with stans was winning the sec tournament...which pretty well equates to winning a boxing match in Maui.

We never made it out of the first round of the big dance, but as I've been repeatedly been told on here, just making the tourney is good enough.

engie

May 29, 2011
In a perfect world, I’d love him for that role. Has proven time and again to be great in it.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Our best effort with stans was winning the sec tournament...which pretty well equates to winning a boxing match in Maui.

We never made it out of the first round of the big dance, but as I've been repeatedly been told on here, just making the tourney is good enough.
It was good enough for this year. Now, next year it will be good enough if we can return and win a first round game. At least that's how I feel. I think Jans's 3rd or 4th year will be where he takes off.

Thumbs Down

Sep 29, 2022
Yep. We still aren't back to where he had us.
New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

• Haha
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

You dont follow basketball very closely. We made the second round multiple times.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login