Starkville and North Mississippi to Receive New Area Code (471)

patdog

May 28, 2007
Wonder if this will be like the 769 area code. We’ve had it for 20 years & I know maybe 2 or 3 people & no businesses with a 769 number.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Who here is old enough to think of 662 as the new area code?
Me I remember when 601 was all we had. Your telephone number was printed in the middle of the rotary dial on the phone hanging on the wall at the kitchen door. As if you couldn’t remember your own phone number. They used to make a telephone cord long enough to stretch from the kitchen to every room in the house all without tying its self in a knot. Now you can’t even buy a 6’ cell phone charging cord that my wife can’t tie in knots without even trying.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Me I remember when 601 was all we had. Your telephone number was printed in the middle of the rotary dial on the phone hanging on the wall at the kitchen door. As if you couldn’t remember your own phone number. They used to make a telephone cord long enough to stretch from the kitchen to every room in the house all without tying its self in a knot. Now you can’t even buy a 6’ cell phone charging cord that my wife can’t tie in knots without even trying.
I’m old enough to remember party lines. My Grandmother Lula Mae’s ring was 3 short rings. We lived across the road from her and didn’t have a phone, so mama and daddy would go over there and use the phone. Lula Mae was pretty nosey, so many times she would pick up the phone and listen in to other peoples conversations. She had to time it just right when she picked up the phone.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
It's all these Californian families moving to Desoto Co. Just found out another 2 Cali families bought houses in my son's neighborhood. That now makes 6 Cali families within the year to move into the same development near Nesbit. And I'm hearing many more coming.....thanks to good ole Gavin Newsome. At least they are conservatives.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It's all these Californian families moving to Desoto Co. Just found out another 2 Cali families bought houses in my son's neighborhood. That now makes 6 Cali families within the year to move into the same development near Nesbit. And I'm hearing many more coming.....thanks to good ole Gavin Newsome. At least they are conservatives.

Shaun The Sheep Movie Ok GIF

Cow College

Aug 21, 2012
Need another on the coast. I haven’t been able to get a 228 number on the coast in three years. All been 601 numbers

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Wonder if this will be like the 769 area code. We’ve had it for 20 years & I know maybe 2 or 3 people & no businesses with a 769 number.
We (in the 256 area code) got an overlay 938 area code about 13 or 14 years ago and it's still rarely used. That's probably due to there not being many landlines in homes, and even though lot of people are moving into this area, they keep the area codes of where they came from. No real reason not to keep it since there are no longer roaming fees. Everything is a local call now in the US.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
We (in the 256 area code) got an overlay 938 area code about 13 or 14 years ago and it's still rarely used. That's probably due to there not being many landlines in homes, and even though lot of people are moving into this area, they keep the area codes of where they came from. No real reason not to keep it since there are no longer roaming fees. Everything is a local call now in the US.
Added bonus for a little while has been when you move to a distant area code, it's easier to identify an incoming spam call.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Added bonus for a little while has been when you move to a distant area code, it's easier to identify an incoming spam call.
If you just block all unknown callers & don’t answer the few that do get through, it’s no problem.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
All of MS was 601 in the 70’s,and 80’s until sometime in the 90’s 662 came along.
And if you dialed in the same county you didn’t have to dial 601.
I think that’s how that worked.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
All of MS was 601 in the 70’s,and 80’s until sometime in the 90’s 662 came along.
And if you dialed in the same county you didn’t have to dial 601.
I think that’s how that worked.
We only had to dial the last 4 numbers all the way through the 80s in my home town.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login