Starkville Biz Thread

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Jeffrey Tabor is building a $10 million mixed use complex on the corner of Russell and Jarnigan. Will be really nice, three story buildings with retail on bottom floor and condos on the next two. Henry Vaughn and the church next door aren’t to keen on the idea but their efforts failed. Also winner of Best New Restaurant in the GTR: Magnolia Social closed two weeks ago before they were named a winner. Downtown needs more eating/drinking places but that location is cursed.

Reactions: 57stratdawg
Sep 29, 2022
Also winner of Best New Restaurant in the GTR: Magnolia Social closed two weeks ago before they were named a winner. Downtown needs more eating/drinking places but that location is cursed.

Magnolia Social closed?? What the hell. You'd think the middle of football season they'd be packed. Somehow I missed the memo. That place was good too.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Jeffrey Tabor is building a $10 million mixed use complex on the corner of Russell and Jarnigan. Will be really nice, three story buildings with retail on bottom floor and condos on the next two. Henry Vaughn and the church next door aren’t to keen on the idea but their efforts failed. Also winner of Best New Restaurant in the GTR: Magnolia Social closed two weeks ago before they were named a winner. Downtown needs more eating/drinking places but that location is cursed.
Seems like the church is sitting on a potential gold mine there and should be happy to have development continue.

And speaking of a gold mine, just imagine what could be done on top of the Odd Fellows Cemetery around the corner. To me, it's always been a black mark on the character of Mississippi State and Starkville that they were willing to build a football field and stadium over an Indian burial ground, but aren't willing to do a nice mixed use development over an Odd Fellows Cemetery located in a prime location. Unless it's just good ole fashioned bigotry, I can't come up with a reason why MSU and Starkville leadership would consider one ok and not the other.

Reactions: The Maroon Pug

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
Seems like the church is sitting on a potential gold mine there and should be happy to have development continue.

And speaking of a gold mine, just imagine what could be done on top of the Odd Fellows Cemetery around the corner. To me, it's always been a black mark on the character of Mississippi State and Starkville that they were willing to build a football field and stadium over an Indian burial ground, but aren't willing to do a nice mixed use development over an Odd Fellows Cemetery located in a prime location. Unless it's just good ole fashioned bigotry, I can't come up with a reason why MSU and Starkville leadership would consider one ok and not the other.
I think there are laws that make it pretty hard to dig up Oddfellow graves. Just saying....

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think there are laws that make it pretty hard to dig up Oddfellow graves. Just saying....
I'm not advocating to dig them up. At least not unless the geotech comes back bad. Hopefully would just be slightly disturbing them to put in pilings.

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019
I can already picture the parking at the new complex...
Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

Goulla

Oct 18, 2022
Just looking at the places on Google maps and they've got it all wrong. There's supposed to be a log cabin Burger King where they're showing a Chick Fila, Jimmy John's where Pizza Hut is, empty lot where the dollar movie theater was. And where is Mexico Tipico? Cheers? At least Rick's and Little Dooey is still there. Google really needs to get their act together.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I can already picture the parking at the new complex...
Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office
Spruill will just add more paid parking along the street. It doesn't seem like Starkville has a very tight law for number of parking places required when a building is built. Look at all the places along University Dr that don't have adequate parking lots in The Bin, Bulldog Burger area hell City Hall doesn't even have a parking lot except for a few spots underneath. Anywhere Ive ever lived there was a minimum number based on occupancy and use but not here

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Did I read and do the math right that at 400/SF there are those that would pay a mil to live (or gameday) down there? Good grief, like to think I live comfortably but that is way out of my league. 250M @3% "Gameday houses" made a bit of sense over the past years but are they still building these kind of things in Starkville and expect to sell them? I guess they do or wouldn't otherwise but wow. Are the places over Mugshots sold out?
There is a lot of back story on the Magnolia Social demise but was certainly my favorite in town. Disappointed they closed.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Spruill will just add more paid parking along the street. It doesn't seem like Starkville has a very tight law for number of parking places required when a building is built. Look at all the places along University Dr that don't have adequate parking lots in The Bin, Bulldog Burger area hell City Hall doesn't even have a parking lot except for a few spots underneath. Anywhere Ive ever lived there was a minimum number based on occupancy and use but not here
The apartments I lived in never had parking I always had to park at a church across the street if i worked late

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Just looking at the places on Google maps and they've got it all wrong. There's supposed to be a log cabin Burger King where they're showing a Chick Fila, Jimmy John's where Pizza Hut is, empty lot where the dollar movie theater was. And where is Mexico Tipico? Cheers? At least Rick's and Little Dooey is still there. Google really needs to get their act together.
I haven’t been to Starkville in years. Don’t tell me tipico is gone. My heart can’t handle it.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I haven’t been to Starkville in years. Don’t tell me tipico is gone. My heart can’t handle it.
It’s not gone it’s doing great.
Don’t read below this line Hailstout.

(Schrödenger’s cat theory everyone. Don’t tell him the truth.)

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I've always thought parking minimums are crazy. Why mandate all that prime property go to parking, especially when most parking minimums assure parking is empty the majority of the time. If there is enough demand for parking, somebody will provide it.

af102

May 17, 2009
I've always thought parking minimums are crazy. Why mandate all that prime property go to parking, especially when most parking minimums assure parking is empty the majority of the time. If there is enough demand for parking, somebody will provide it.
Parking minimums are crazy- Atlanta as a city has been grappling with reducing or completely getting rid of minimums. There are some “Transit Oriented Developments” that have had the minimums waived since they sit right next to train stations. The biggest advantage for this is decoupling the cost of a parking spot from the cost of renting housing. Now you can save a few hundred dollars/month by not having a car.

Parking minimums basically lock in all development to be car oriented suburban sprawl. It’s very hard to build street level pedestrian/cycling/transit oriented developments when so much of your land/money is tied up in parking.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Parking minimums are crazy- Atlanta as a city has been grappling with reducing or completely getting rid of minimums. There are some “Transit Oriented Developments” that have had the minimums waived since they sit right next to train stations. The biggest advantage for this is decoupling the cost of a parking spot from the cost of renting housing. Now you can save a few hundred dollars/month by not having a car.

Parking minimums basically lock in all development to be car oriented suburban sprawl. It’s very hard to build street level pedestrian/cycling/transit oriented developments when so much of your land/money is tied up in parking.
If no one can park to come to your business they might not go there. I have that problem a lot in New Orleans. If I have to park several blocks away, chances are I'm going somewhere else. Parking garages downtown are good but sure as **** not parking in open public or paid parking lot somewhere not in atl or Nola. There have been several times in Starkville I've not gone somewhere to eat because there was no parking anywhere close by

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
If no one can park to come to your business they might not go there. I have that problem a lot in New Orleans. If I have to park several blocks away, chances are I'm going somewhere else. Parking garages downtown are good but sure as **** not parking in open public or paid parking lot somewhere not in atl or Nola. There have been several times in Starkville I've not gone somewhere to eat because there was no parking anywhere close by
Yep, this is the issue. Parking minimims for every resident is too high, as said it just ensures wasted space. But don't have any, and you're gonna have problems too. I suspect most of the problem is just lazy/incompetent city committees.

Goulla

Oct 18, 2022
It’s not gone it’s doing great.
Don’t read below this line Hailstout.

(Schrödenger’s cat theory everyone. Don’t tell him the truth.)
It's called Casa Bravo. Haven't eaten there in years or since it changed so no idea if it's the same food or owners.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yep, this is the issue. Parking minimims for every resident is too high, as said it just ensures wasted space. But don't have any, and you're gonna have problems too. I suspect most of the problem is just lazy/incompetent city committees.
Parking garages strategically placed by city snd businesses that charge for use. Build up not out. City and commerce committees oversee it with maybe a private company selling the spaces like premium parking.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
But that's a problem the business is in a position to solve. If they think they need parking, they can put it in. If they think they're better off living off the customers they get that pay to park elsewhere or walk, then they can try that. Same with the residents. If they want parking, they can pay for it. Or they can try going without a car. If people generally want parking a rental doesn't have, then that rental will be cheaper and available to someone that doesn't value parking as much, possibly one without a car.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
But that's a problem the business is in a position to solve. If they think they need parking, they can put it in. If they think they're better off living off the customers they get that pay to park elsewhere or walk, then they can try that. Same with the residents. If they want parking, they can pay for it. Or they can try going without a car. If people generally want parking a rental doesn't have, then that rental will be cheaper and available to someone that doesn't value parking as much, possibly one without a car.
All well and fine, until freeloaders join the equation.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
In virtually every state, graves and cemetaries can be a serious "wrench in the works" to the timelines for development projects.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login