Starkville parking

katfsh

May 15, 2014
The parking cops are taking their job a little to serious. Moved my daughter into the vista yesterday, we pull up to park between the vista and the klassroom, knowing would would have to scan the sign and pay to park just long enough to get all her keys, etc. we are in 3 vehicles pull in to park, half the spots are empty. As soon as I open my door I see a cop behind my daughter with blue lights. Walk back up to the cop and we ask what’s the problem. He says your illegally parked and your getting a ticket. Hadn’t been parked 30 seconds, not even enough time to scan the sign and register for the free 15 minutes of parking, and we get 3 $25 parking tickets. Called the station a had another cop come out and the only suggestion was to go to court and fight it.

This is such a racket, $75 worth of tickets that will end up costing me more in gas for the 6 hour round trip to come back and contest. Told the parking cop thanks for welcoming my daughter to Starkville 17hole.

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
Its ****** up to have the only method of payment to be through an App.

If they think charging people to park is warranted and a good idea, the cheapskates needs to invest in some meters.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Thread hijack - With the new sign ordinance now in effect I am guessing that does not apply to billboards as those are still up and down Highway 12. I'm having trouble figuring out how those are ok but store signs were just too much of an eyesore. If they really wanted to make an aesthetic improvement they'd put all the utility lines underground.

Rant over.

Hellsyeah

May 22, 2013
I once got towed from a paid parking lot over by the physical plant during a football game. Thought my truck had been stolen and called to report only to be told by the police that it had been towed. Still don't know how that happened

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Tell the mayor you're friends with AJ Brown, she'll cancel the tickets

Jul 5, 2020
Starkville continues to be one of the most unfriendly college towns I have ever been to. I cannot for the life of me understand why everyone that has a business there doesn't fully embrace the school and the students. This goes for local government and police as well. I was there from 95-99 and it hasn't really gotten much better.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Sounds like they’re working on commission, and it looks like there’s a lot of Starkville parking cops posting on this board. Hopefully they’re donating these commissions to the NIL collective.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Yeah, it's got to be better than it was. The last couple of mayors have been very pro-MSU. That used to not be the case.

I had a job in the community whilst going to school late 90's early 00's. There was open hostility toward the students and university on the part of the townsfolk. There was significant portion who wanted Starkville to be Ackerman.

Starkville has come a long way.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Thread hijack - With the new sign ordinance now in effect I am guessing that does not apply to billboards as those are still up and down Highway 12. I'm having trouble figuring out how those are ok but store signs were just too much of an eyesore. If they really wanted to make an aesthetic improvement they'd put all the utility lines underground.

Rant over.

Underground utility lines help so much. A lot easier to do on the front end though when you don't have to tear up concrete or asphalt to do it.

The billboard companies are typically pretty litigious. Guessing the city was either scared to mess with them or like their campaign contributions or some combination.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
The parking cops are taking their job a little to serious. Moved my daughter into the vista yesterday, we pull up to park between the vista and the klassroom, knowing would would have to scan the sign and pay to park just long enough to get all her keys, etc. we are in 3 vehicles pull in to park, half the spots are empty. As soon as I open my door I see a cop behind my daughter with blue lights. Walk back up to the cop and we ask what’s the problem. He says your illegally parked and your getting a ticket. Hadn’t been parked 30 seconds, not even enough time to scan the sign and register for the free 15 minutes of parking, and we get 3 $25 parking tickets. Called the station a had another cop come out and the only suggestion was to go to court and fight it.

This is such a racket, $75 worth of tickets that will end up costing me more in gas for the 6 hour round trip to come back and contest. Told the parking cop thanks for welcoming my daughter to Starkville 17hole.

You can fight a ticket in court by attestation. Basically write out your argument and it is read into the record without you having to be there.

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
Starkville continues to be one of the most unfriendly college towns I have ever been to. I cannot for the life of me understand why everyone that has a business there doesn't fully embrace the school and the students. This goes for local government and police as well. I was there from 95-99 and it hasn't really gotten much better.

They are all Ole Miss Fans. Flagship stuff I guess.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
They got to pay for those signs! What happens if you don’t pay the ticket? Will it show up on your driving record?

Last edited:

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019

Rant over.

According to the sign police, billboards got a pass, but the sign companies cannot erect ( giggity) anymore.

Jul 5, 2020
It's just a real bummer, because the school has so many dynamic things going on that, with some real cooperation from the community, could actually vault it ahead of most towns in the state. And the bullheadedness is inexplicable.

BulldogBillyCrash

Oct 31, 2019

But were you not illegally parked or did you just pull up on the middle of the road and throw your hazards since it was gone be a quick in and out? Maybe next time comply

katfsh

May 15, 2014
But were you not illegally parked or did you just pull up on the middle of the road and throw your hazards since it was gone be a quick in and out? Maybe next time comply

All 3 vehicles were legally parked inside of the green marked spots, every one was in compliance. We were getting out to register using the signs but needed to get the code off of the sign. Before we could all get out he was there with lights on, I swear he watched us pull in.

I did not get name and badge number, hoping his name is on the ticket (left them with my daughter), I did get a photo of his car number. Also took a screen shot of our life 360 app showing the date and time that we quit moving, 10:30, ticket was written for 10:29.

I also saw some of these parking signs on campus by soccer field parking lot, so I guess campus is in cahoots with the parking app as well.

BulldogBillyCrash

Oct 31, 2019
All 3 vehicles were legally parked inside of the green marked spots, every one was in compliance. We were getting out to register using the signs but needed to get the code off of the sign. Before we could all get out he was there with lights on, I swear he watched us pull in.

I did not get name and badge number, hoping his name is on the ticket (left them with my daughter), I did get a photo of his car number. Also took a screen shot of our life 360 app showing the date and time that we quit moving, 10:30, ticket was written for 10:29.

I also saw some of these parking signs on campus by soccer field parking lot, so I guess campus is in cahoots with the parking app as well.

That sign on campus has been there way before the city did anything and that’s a commuter lot you’re referring to

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Those signs are on campus by the Union, Fresh Food Cafeteria, by the post office/ROTC building, etc etc. They've been using them for at least a couple years now

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
The city went with this company because campus uses the app. Now campus also has pay machines, which the city should probably also do too.

tribaldawg

Sep 1, 2012
Underground utility lines help so much. A lot easier to do on the front end though when you don't have to tear up concrete or asphalt to do it.

The billboard companies are typically pretty litigious. Guessing the city was either scared to mess with them or like their campaign contributions or some combination.

Yep. All you see now that the signs have been lowered is billboards and utility lines everywhere. If the city is going to force all businesses to lower their signs they need to start focusing on underground utilities. And billboards should have been gone with the other sign ordinance.

cristilmethod

Aug 24, 2012

Rant over.

Burying utilities is great but takes a decent amount of right of way and cash. It would be nearly impossible - particularly on the eastern end of 12 - even if the City had the cash. They got a large grant on 182 and most of it is paying for just that.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Its so much better than it was, but still room for improvement.

I heard here and from other sources it was much better than 1994-2007 time we stayed there. I've heard some stories from downtown Austin Parking but that beats them.

Before I sign for those tickets I would've asked them to sit in my car and tell me if it felt like a car parked in Mississippi in July with the windows up and air off.

Aug 3, 2019
This is common in any town that relies on a transient population for its economy

Starkville is no different than any other college town, that relies on a transient student population for its economy. Same with military one-horse towns like Meridian.

There's always going to be friction between the the students and the "townies". "Townies" resent the students just coming in, wrecking stuff, and then leaving without any accountability from the university.

One thing the military does, is that they'll have either the first sergeant or the Chief Petty Officer issue a weekend pass "Safety Brief"- usually, this includes the standard "don't drink and drive", "if you're going to bang Mary Jane Rottencrotch, wrap it up", "no, that stripper does NOT love you so don't propose marriage", "there WILL be a piss-test at 0200 Monday morning so no weed", "just because you graduated Parris Island or Ft. Benning, does not mean you won't get your *** kicked by some locals", etc. It'll also include bars, massage parlors, or churches that are off-limits to military personnel, or anything that might be coming up in town that weekend. Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airmen all know that having to wake up Top at 0330 on a Sunday morning is NOT a healthy thing to do.

College students have no such accountability. So, like all 18-22 year olds who've never lived on their own before they tend to pull **** that they'll regret for decades to come (thanks Social media!). The locals tend to resent acts of theft and vandalism, and as such tend to have a negative view of the students.

So, fight the charge and make sure you don't have to pay the ticket. Then chalk this up as a lesson on how to deal with folks in this situation.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Starkville is no different than any other college town, that relies on a transient student population for its economy. Same with military one-horse towns like Meridian.

There's always going to be friction between the the students and the "townies". "Townies" resent the students just coming in, wrecking stuff, and then leaving without any accountability from the university.

One thing the military does, is that they'll have either the first sergeant or the Chief Petty Officer issue a weekend pass "Safety Brief"- usually, this includes the standard "don't drink and drive", "if you're going to bang Mary Jane Rottencrotch, wrap it up", "no, that stripper does NOT love you so don't propose marriage", "there WILL be a piss-test at 0200 Monday morning so no weed", "just because you graduated Parris Island or Ft. Benning, does not mean you won't get your *** kicked by some locals", etc. It'll also include bars, massage parlors, or churches that are off-limits to military personnel, or anything that might be coming up in town that weekend. Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airmen all know that having to wake up Top at 0330 on a Sunday morning is NOT a healthy thing to do.

College students have no such accountability. So, like all 18-22 year olds who've never lived on their own before they tend to pull **** that they'll regret for decades to come (thanks Social media!). The locals tend to resent acts of theft and vandalism, and as such tend to have a negative view of the students.

So, fight the charge and make sure you don't have to pay the ticket. Then chalk this up as a lesson on how to deal with folks in this situation.
Starkville needs to be more focused on controlling local thugs from Columbus, West Point and Starkville than students/University that support about 90% of the town’s existence.

Aug 3, 2019
Going after thugs isn't as safe nor profitable

Another thing you learned in the military- go out in groups, either with your "battle buddy", or your squad, or barracks-mates. They protect each other.

College kids forget this. They think they're 10 feet tall and bullet-proof. Also, they think everybody they meet is all sunshine and unicorn farts.

But you're correct about controlling thugs. At TCU, the Bass family provides police service for the university and the local neighborhoods surrounding it. That's why the area around campus hasn't degenerated into a 3rd world dystopian ******** resembling the Hunger Games like the neighborhoods surround Millsaps and Belhaven.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Some college towns embrace the school and students. Some attempt to make money off them. Starkville could learn a lot from Hattiesburg. You can improve the city without going after the people that actually make Starkville. The leadership in Starkville sucks!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019
Some college towns embrace the school and students. Some attempt to make money off them. Starkville could learn a lot from Hattiesburg. You can improve the city without going after the people that actually make Starkville. The leadership in Starkville sucks!
USM is only part of Hattiesburg's economy. A better comparison would be Oxford. What's the relation between the Ole Miss students and the locals?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
This is a fact.

I’ve seen them block off the street at level 3 back in the day (unplanned) and come to mugshots and run people out of the bar. This was a pretty regular thing.

Brilliant strategy.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login