Starkville Summer Business Thread

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Ah an annual tradition of mine to let my fine brethren on SPS know of new additions to the town that they might not have seen or heard about yet. It amazes me how much we’ve changed in regards to restaurants and stores.

-TBT Butcher Shop downtown in the old Welcome Home Beef location has some great meat and seafood. I heard great things about their poboys too.
- Bully Way that connects Lee Blvd to Blackjack is now open.
- Art, art, and more art: we got a grant to paint intersections downtown, will look great and kudos to the Carl Small Town Center on getting that done. We also have some new sculptures up and down University Drive that liven things up even more.
- The old main Cadence building is now used by the MSU Research and Technology Corporation, really nice renovation of it.
- Northstar Industrial Park might be getting a new tenant that Joe Max busted his *** for, it has to do with electric vehicles that’s all I can say.
- Taste now has an Italian menu and it’s pretty damn good
- Magnolia Social might be the best restaurant in town. Heard they’re planning on doing something big to go along with the restaurant but I can’t say anything yet it will be worth the surprise should it happen…
- Arepas (underrated gem that folks need to check out) is moving to the old Commodore Bob’s spot in the District from State Theater
- Dulce is moving into the bottom of Grand Junction next to Humble Taco
-Marco’s and Godfather’s Pizza are now open
- Nutri-Groove is now beside Bulldog Burger in that house that was office space, you’ll know when you see it, it’s an aqua blue
- Walk-On’s will open by the end of June there was some supply chain issues with equipment
- Chipotle is now open on the old Petty’s spot, heard Five Guys will be there soon
- Dunkin’ is leveling the check cashing spot next to Wendy’s
- Vowell’s will now be a corner market/ACE Hardware with a fast casual spot to be named later
- Spring Street Cigars is now in the old Mugshot’s downtown and its renovation is stellar, really great spot
- The new shopping center with Petsmart, Aldi, etc is getting put up fast. There’s another restaurant moving in there that hasn’t been named yet.
- Heard rumblings that Malco is looking to open a theater with a bowling alley similar to the one in Oxford
- Wendy’s is looking to add another location toward HWY12E and 82
- Cornerstone Park (the new ball fields) is coming along nicely just had issues with all the rain and supply chain. It will be a game changer
- With the annexation our population obviously went up and we will be seeing more stores and eateries soon

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Spring Street Cigars also has a microbrewery in it. Does anyone know if you can go in and buy a growler full to go or do you have to sit there and drink it and come out smelling like a stogie? I haven't been in to know how bad/good the smoke is, I would assume they have some kind of filtration going or maybe not if you like that kind of thing.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Not sure about the beer but every time I’ve been there it’s been very well filtered. Couldn’t tell where I had been if you sniffed my shirt.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Any of these establishments serve deep fried, panko battered cheese sticks?

rem101

Jan 22, 2008
That makes more sense...I was thinking that's a pretty big building for strictly cigar lounge.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Spring Street Cigars also has a microbrewery in it. Does anyone know if you can go in and buy a growler full to go or do you have to sit there and drink it and come out smelling like a stogie? I haven't been in to know how bad/good the smoke is, I would assume they have some kind of filtration going or maybe not if you like that kind of thing.
I haven't been, but my understanding was that the cigar lounge is on one floor and the beer is on another. I'm sure you can take the beer to the cigar lounge, but I don't think you have to go the lounge if you're only interested in the beer.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Any updates on acquiring the railway line that crosses under University near Humble Taco and crosses Hwy 12 near the Army Navy Pawn Shop? Turing that into a walkable trail that has bars/restaurants/other recreation will be game changer for the town.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Lynn and the city have been trying but the owner won’t budge unfortunately.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Lots more traffic pattern changes happening on campus too. Presidential Circle from behind the Hand Lab all the way behind Allen and down almost to Fresh Food Cafe is closing for traffic except for those w/ gate access. Engineering row is being closed to traffic also from right by the new post office down to Hand Lab. The street in front of Cresswell and Hathorn is being closed as well. There are others but I don't remember them all. Its also a cluster **** by the Hump nowadays too w/ the new entry road being built and the Hump additions being started. The road on North end of Davis Wade was closed last week while they were putting the new scoreboard panels in place, not sure if its permanent or not though.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
They’re going to reopen the one behind the NEZ back the others you’re right though.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Lynn and the city have been trying but the owner won’t budge unfortunately.

If they can get this done, it will change Starkvegas forever. A walkable street through the center of town, the potential is almost unlimited. I'm sure they are doing what they can, but I'm sure a little added incentive/pressure from a Federal Representative or Senator would help grease the skids.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login