State 23rd in brand rankings in college football

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
You know these rankings are mostly nonsense. But...

I do think there is something to be said for the fact that most of these current recruits literally can't remember 2008, the last year we had a truly bad football team.

(No the covid year doesn't count.)

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I just don't get this ole miss thing. Replacing 14 starters and the one guy who made them good.

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
Would love to see the same poll but with 40+ year olds. We’d drop out of the top 25 due to historic biases. This newfound brand recognition with the younger generation would not be possible without Doc Foglesong. Build the statue.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
North Carolina above Michigan, USC, and FSU is something

Wonder if it has something to do with the Jordan brand (though that wouldn't explain being over Michigan)?

I was looking at the primary athletic apparel provider on these teams:
1. Alabama - Nike
2. Ohio State - Nike
3. Georgia - Nike
4. Oklahoma - Jordan
5. Clemson - Nike
6. LSU - Nike
7. Texas A&M - Adidas
8. Texas - Nike
9. Oregon - Nike
10. Miami - Adidas
11. Florida - Jordan
12. Notre Dame - Under Armour
13. Penn State - Nike
14. North Carolina - Jordan
15. Ole Miss - Nike
16. Michigan - Jordan
17. FSU - Nike
18. Tennessee - Nike
19. Southern California - Nike
20. UCLA - Jordan
21. Auburn - Under Armour
22. Michigan State - Nike
23. Mississippi State - Adidas
24. Maryland - Under Armour
25. South Carolina - Under Armour

Yes, I know Jordan is a Nike brand, but it's marketed as something above and beyond normal Nike apparel.

So the breakdown is:
13 Nike
5 Jordan
4 Under Armour
3 Adidas

Jordan actually only licenses to 6 FBS schools. The only one not in this list is Houston.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I just don't get this ole miss thing. Replacing 14 starters and the one guy who made them good.

This is a brand recognition poll from high school recruits... not a preseason poll.

Don't hurt me, flex.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
OM has always been better a marketing their football program/university than us. For a couple of decades they've produced fluff pieces on how great the grove is, how great Oxford is, redshirting Ms. Americas, beautiful women, etc. Most of it is BS, but it you read and/or hear something enough, it becomes fact.

We've gotten better at this but are woefully behind. Our media relations department should hire as many students as possible to write fluff pieces and forward them out to as many outlets as possible. One example is Outkick, I don't look at it often, but when i do I will often see an article about OM, but rarely see on about us.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Michigan and FSU ranked too low, should both move up about 2-3 spots. NC and OM down a few spots, Mich State ???? - basketball get them that high?
UT down a couple spots, we’re probably about right and somewhat surprising we’re at 23 actually.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I read the breakdown by the company that conducted the survey. It’s a real poll (not some BigGameBoomer ********) of 1000 high school football players conducted early in 2022. The players conducted are not ones being recruited by P5 schools as to not
bias the outcome by actual recruiting preferences. It seeks to replicate the distribution of the 247 top 500. For example, Mississippi has 9 players in the 247 top 500 and the poll has 18 MS players included.

The players were asked to imagine themselves as the No. 1 recruit in the nation with offers from every program and to rank each Power 5 school on a scale from 1-10 on how likely they would go to that particular school. Mississippi State actually improved their ranking 8 spots over the previous 4 seasons. I chalk it up to the Leach factor.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login