State back in the poll at 25.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
๐Ÿˆ ๐–๐„๐„๐Š ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ'๐’ ๐“๐Ž๐ ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ“ ๐Ÿˆ#CFBPlayoff pic.twitter.com/UuRcUXTHexโ€” ESPN College Football (@ESPNCFB) November 17, 2021

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Yes. See my Sugar Bowl cheering guide. These rankings decide the major bowls.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Can anyone explain the sense of Michigan being ranked ahead of Michigan state? I understand michigan state has a bad loss but head to head record has to mean something.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Some of the computer rankings have Michigan as high as #2. I think that is factoring in and the math ends up giving Michigan an edge when all is tabulated.

Its the same thing that has us ranked today and had us ranked #17 shockingly in the opening poll. With State, you have to ask yourself, okay - are they a made field goal away from being the #13 team in the country (that's where we would have been tonight if we had beaten Arkansas). If the answer is yes, then you have to sneak us in at 25.

Im really shocked a 7-3 Clemson is unranked.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
I am not shocked Clemson isn't ranked. They have lost to every single team they have played that have a functioning firing brain cell and their schedule maybe the worst. Zero strength in their schedule.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Head to head means 'something', as in, another data point, but it can't supersede everything else. The only way head to head can be the end-all-be-all is if schedules were more uniform and you were going by record, like the NFL. We all know the college schedules are not created equally.

So essentially, the team ranked higher (Michigan) has a better loss (Mich State), and Mich State is ranked lower because they have a worse loss. This has been a consistent theme across college football forever. Remember 1993 when Florida State lost to Notre Dame who lost to Boston College? FSU had the better loss, so they advanced. 2000 - FSU lost to Miami who lost to Washington - FSU advanced.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login