State fans are

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
The worst most pessimistic people on the planet. Why do we have so many posters on this board trying to sh*t on everything positive that is going on right now ? Enjoy it while you can dudes. We all understand no getting your hopes up but 17 man, at least enjoy the tiny bits that we get. Maybe we are going into a new renaissance period. This might be our next step up from the Dan days. You don't have to.complain about getting better. Surely you 17ers aren't trolls are you ?

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
The worst most pessimistic people on the planet. Why do we have so many posters on this board trying to sh*t on everything positive that is going on right now ? Enjoy it while you can dudes. We all understand no getting your hopes up but 17 man, at least enjoy the tiny bits that we get. Maybe we are going into a new renaissance period. This might be our next step up from the Dan days. You don't have to.complain about getting better. Surely you 17ers aren't trolls are you ?
Its been a rare, good wkend for MSU. We gotta learn to enjoy the triumphs when they come. We're so used to being beaten down and mocked

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Typical 17 heads....lol. How dare you criticize us for criticizing our new coach for signing a handful of 4 stars. The outrage. We are just like Bama fans. They complain about hiring extra coaches so we can too. Waaah

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The worst are people that make these type of posts and think State fans are unique in this aspect.
I don't look at other school's MBs, but occasionally I'll end up see a OM fan site on FB or X. From what I've seen they are much more supportive than our folks. Last year one of the contributors from their 2022 baseball team transferred, I think all comments (over a hundred) were positive and wishing him well. That is not the case when one of our guys transfer, there's a ton of "he sucks" and "he can't play."

I also think OM folks do pretend to be our fans to make us look bad, I doubt we have fans doing that. They are a more organized fans base pulling in one direction.

Last edited:

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
At least not sh&t on the team and coaches when it's going great. We will probably have plenty of time for that around middle of the season for crying out loud. Look at the garbage we went thru all season this year. This is like manna from heaven compared to that cluster17d dumpster fire

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
So now we're down to bitching about non-bitching posts.
No we are bitching about people bitching about people bitching. Please keep up

Edit: I think that I forgot a level of bitching maybe I’m not sure. Now I feel like an idiot

Last edited:
Reactions: Indndawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't look at other school's MBs, but occasionally I'll end up see a OM fan site on FB or X. From what I've seen they are much more supportive than our folks. Last year one of the contributors from their 2022 baseball team transferred, I think all comments (over a hundred) were positive and wishing him well. That is not the case when one of our guys transfer, there's a ton of "he sucks" and "he can't play."

I also think OM folks do pretend to be our fans to make us look bad, I doubt we have fans doing that. They are a more organized fans base pulling in one direction.
If State fans could go all in to MSU Athletics like Ole Miss does it would be awesome.
This is true, at least regarding football, and it's a problem. And it's another subject that the cool** posters won't breach, similar to the 'say my high school' stuff on NFL intros.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

It is fun to watch both fan bases at the beginning of each football season. Ole Miss fans think they are going to win a national championship while our fans commiserate over the upcoming losses and discuss why we can't compete.

Then, our fan base starts pointing and laughing at Ole Miss for thinking they have a shot at the NC. Well, at this point I would say both fan bases are close to doing what they expect. Another season like this one and Ole Miss will make the 12 team field while we sit back and criticize everything about our program.

Reactions: greenbean.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It is fun to watch both fan bases at the beginning of each football season. Ole Miss fans think they are going to win a national championship while our fans commiserate over the upcoming losses and discuss why we can't compete.

Then, our fan base starts pointing and laughing at Ole Miss for thinking they have a shot at the NC. Well, at this point I would say both fan bases are close to doing what they expect. Another season like this one and Ole Miss will make the 12 team field while we sit back and criticize everything about our program.
Another thing our fanbase does is adopt the mindset that the fans don't matter. They do. A good portion of our fanbase is just straight checked out, and only show up when we are winning big. And now they are using NIL/portal/etc. to justify doing that in their minds.

It's entertainment to everyone, everyone knows that. But it's the fanbases who buy in and support, knowing that they make a difference, who end up winning more long term. Or at least giving themselves that advantage. It makes the program attractive.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016

Ole Miss will make the playoffs in 2024.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
State fans are …..

how about….

tired of losing to Alabama and Ole Miss IN EVERY SINGLE SPORT?

patdog

May 28, 2007
To be fair, we all have many years of experiencing the bitter disappointment that comes after getting our hopes up.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
To be fair, we all have many years of experiencing the bitter disappointment that comes after getting our hopes up.
We do. And we've proven that we are at the mercy of luck, i.e. we have to get lucky with a coach who wins, before we buy in and support. Continual cycle that has never worked for us.

But we aren't changing. I don't see the steps being taken by anyone to address this.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Agree when you've surfed all the other SEC blogs with regularity get back to us. There are Bammer fans that melt down and are pessimistic as well. Please keep you self righteousness regarding fandom to yourself.
That's hyperbole. Yes Bama has fans that complain. But there are not near as many per capita as on MSU boards. It's not even comparable.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
It’s more posters on this board in particular than State fans as a whole. Other places are more realistic to what’s happening. You can spin and say this is where realism exists and everywhere else is “swan lake” or sunshine pumpers - they exist, that’s for sure - but this place has turned into a place that just exists to s h i t on our program and doesn’t really provide much intelligence, insight, or reasoning. I get it, it’s just a message board but at some point it’s an issue.

Looking forward to getting flamed for this.

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
There’s a lot of truth in this.

As a whole, our fans with social media are far too emotional and react childishly to “bad news”, which just creates the appearance of a negative environment.

“Hey, we’re so happy you chose us— but if you perform poorly or leave us, we’ll never forgive you and let you forget it!” That isn’t enticing.

Recruits, athletes, and their families DO see it. Yes, other schools do this too, but we need to be better. If you can’t be mature about it, just don't post.

Every school is going to have kids leave— so you need to get used to it and just learn to wish them well and move on to the next.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
There’s a lot of truth in this.

As a whole, our fans with social media are far too emotional and react childishly to “bad news”, which just creates the appearance of a negative environment.

“Hey, we’re so happy you chose us— but if you perform poorly or leave us, we’ll never forgive you and let you forget it!” That isn’t enticing.

Recruits, athletes, and their families DO see it. Yes, other schools do this too, but we need to be better. If you can’t be mature about it, just don't post.

Every school is going to have kids leave— so you need to get used to it and just learn to wish them well and move on to the next.

last year we beat Ole Miss in football, swept them in basketball, and won 3 of 4 in baseball.

There are way way WAY too many Chicken Littles on this message board.

When I read all the Sky is Falling posts here, I’m thinking to myself…

Bill Murray Well Its Groundhog Day Again GIF

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You don't have to.complain about getting better.
I'll be optimistic when we actually get better. We heard that last year too, 2 baseball seasons and Lord knows how many basketball seasons it was happening but.....

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Because everything one good thing that happens there is two things bad happens. We get right to edge of something permanently good and it doesn't happen. Examples: Get to the SEC Football Championship and two years later we have eight years of misery. Get to the Final Four in basketball and several years later we have the Rick Ray era. Win the NC in baseball and you see where we are now, and I don't see it getting any better this season. You can only get knock down so many times before you just stay on the ground.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I'm staying pessimistic until we get 15 or so transfers in so we can start improving the turd of a roster Mike left us and Arnett did little to address.

That said - our HS recruiting for guys on offense appears to have taken a MAJOR step forward. That doesn't do much for us next year, but it does give me a little hope that Lebby might know what he's doing in getting talent to Starkville. Now we need to see it on defense and in the portal.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Because everything one good thing that happens there is two things bad happens. We get right to edge of something permanently good and it doesn't happen. Examples: Get to the SEC Football Championship and two years later we have eight years of misery. Get to the Final Four in basketball and several years later we have the Rick Ray era. Win the NC in baseball and you see where we are now, and I don't see it getting any better this season. You can only get knock down so many times before you just stay on the ground.
2 of those (football and basketball) are not like the other (baseball). Our down periods in the first two are more pronounced than baseball. And it's pretty directly correlated to the support each program gets (per capita, and compared to our peers).

Baseball is very good to elite, top 5 nationally in support. While this doesn't 100% correlate to top 5 success, it gives us that advantage, and most of our success can be traced back to the fanatical support for the program over the years that was built in the 70s and 80s.

Basketball is average. Maybe below average, but up and down. And we get those results. Support here is about like baseball as far as the correlation - not an exact science, but it certainly helps. Ask Kentucky and Louisville.

Football is definitely below average. And support here is much more correlated to success since football is such an expensive sport. We've been able to hang in there due to our access to athletes in our geographic area, where bigger money programs like Arkansas have struggled. But you get the picture.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I'll be optimistic when we actually get better. We heard that last year too, 2 baseball seasons and Lord knows how many basketball seasons it was happening but.....
They definitely tricked me last year. But after that AZ game it started becoming evident we were not better by any stretch of the imagination

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login