State hangs on to beat USM 60-54

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
38% from the field and 54% from FT. A win’s a win, but picking up right where we left off I see

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
38% from 3 compared to our 26% last year. Looks like Taylor (top shooter) and Myers both didn’t play as well. I have nothing to go off of but the stat sheet and Portugal, but 3-pt shooting has drastically improved.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
We played without 3 starters.
If I'm not mistaken, 4 of the 5 projected starters played. Jeffries, Moore, Matthews, and Davis all played. Those 4 and Smith are the projected starting 5 as far as I know. Taylor and Murphy didn't play. Hope nothing is wrong with Taylor. I went to the open practice a couple of weeks ago and he's got a really nice shot. We're gonna have to win with lock down D and rebounding until Smith gets back. This team is deep.

Reactions: DawgatAuburn

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
If I'm not mistaken, 4 of the 5 projected starters played. Jeffries, Moore, Matthews, and Davis all played. Those 4 and Smith are the projected starting 5 as far as I know. Taylor and Murphy didn't play. Hope nothing is wrong with Taylor. I went to the open practice a couple of weeks ago and he's got a really nice shot. We're gonna have to win with lock down D and rebounding until Smith gets back. This team is deep.
Taylor was out “due to a personal matter”. Assuming he’s fine.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
38% from the field and 54% from FT. A win’s a win, but picking up right where we left off I see
I will never understand how good basketball players can be so bad at free throws.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Everybody we had last year was terrible from the FT line
I'll disagree with that. For me, 70% is average. Shak, Davis and Stevenson were 77%. Not stellar, but above average for sure. They took about 150 free throws between them.

Matthews and Reid were both in the high 60s, close to 70%. Average, not terrible. Combined for about 120 shots, mostly by Cam.

Murphy and Jones were both under 65%. Below average in my eyes. But they only took 24 between them.

Tolu, DJ and McNair were all in the high 50%. Now we are into terrible range.

Our problem was distribution, We shot 655 free throws as a team and Tolu took nearly 40% of them. DJ took about 10% of them. So two of our worst shooters had the highest volume. I'm not suggesting we try to reduce Tolu's trips to the line. That's a big part of his game. He has to be better from the line, and I'm sure he knows that. But the assertion that everyone was terrible seems a bit extreme.

Reactions: BirdPuppy

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I have a feeling baseball is going to suck. I just hope basketball don't go over the cliff.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login