State Has Chris Jans

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Jans-sanity begins the day after they’re knocked out. Look for some keys from NMSU likely to transfer with him to MSU. We’ve got a hell of a coach if it all follows according to plan.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Jans is making $300K. We were paying Howland $2.6 Million. What do you think we offered Jans?

I thought Howland is at $2.2million.
3 of the fired SEC coaches were making at least $3mm.
Howland was in the bottom half of conference salary and was closer to the bottom than the middle, last I saw.

If we start at $2mm plus incentives with an increase over the next couple years to $2.8mm, I wouldn't think twice. That is based only on us relative to the rest of the conference.

Personally, $2mm for a basketball coach is 17ing nuts.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
That’s what I said about the guy we’d hired who had been to multiple Final Fours. Looks like I was wrong.
Why can't some of you see that Howland's success came at freaking UCLA, the greatest blue blood of all time? Any reasonable person could tell you that wouldn't be replicated here.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
[video]https://memes.yarn.co/yarn-clip/b82f9f05-1da6-4f8f-8511-7104f1f86b00[/video]

Last edited:

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Why can't some of you see that Howland's success came at freaking UCLA, the greatest blue blood of all time? Any reasonable person could tell you that wouldn't be replicated here.

I never expected three Final Fours but at the time I thought UCLA was dumb for firing him after a year where he won the PAC 12. His track record at Pitt and Northern Arizona was impressive too.

I think he just failed to adapt to modern basketball. Great coach to have in 2006, not a great coach in 2022.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

His success at UCLA hasn't been replicated, so it was largely his doing, even though it was at a bluebird.

UCLA hadn't been to an elite8 since 97 when he took them to the first of three in a row in '06. They then went to an elite 8 again in '21.
So the 9 seasons before and 13 seasons after his three year run, they didn't make an elite8, much less a final4.
The two coaches that bookended Howland made 1 elite8 in 12 seasons and that one was largely based on Harrick"s players(prior coach to lavin).

If elite8s were easy to do, everyone there would do it.
...and again, I dumbed it down a bit and only reference elite8, even though Howland made 3 final4s.

patdog

May 28, 2007
UCLA fans tried to tell us what we were getting. In hindsight, his record at UCLA in the 5 seasons after those Final Fours was very pedestrian. And too much is made of "he won the PAC 12 his final season). It was a pretty weak league, and he was 13-5 with 3 teams a game back at 12-6, ranked #25 and a 1st round exit from the NCAA.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Who’s reporting this?

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Cohen offer Jans at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009

I guess you missed him turning Northern Arizona into a multiple time conference champ. And then missed him turning Pitt into a multiple time conference champ and back to back sweet 16s.

Hes turned every team around, including ours. He didnt quite get us to the success we wanted, but he turned us into a team that atleast paid attention to the bubble every year. And that’s a far cry from where the Rick Ray era ended.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Where are you getting this?

Jans-sanity begins the day after they’re knocked out. Look for some keys from NMSU likely to transfer with him to MSU. We’ve got a hell of a coach if it all follows according to plan.

If we’ve let it break that we’ve offered the guy already, the only thing we know for sure is that he will not be our coach.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Perhaps it’s easier to get to the NCAA tournament if you’re at UCLA. Perhaps not. The SEC isnt exactly thought of as a “basketball conference” outside of Kensucky. All I can say after watching Howland struggle at our school is that he obviously couldn’t replicate what he did at UCLA. His teams never rose to the occasion-they never seemed motivated enough to do what they needed to do when they needed to do it. I appears to the casual observer (and I’m definitely a casual observer of basketball) that Howland’s teams just never seemed motivated enough to play a complete game with the intensity needed to win. It also appeared to me that, year after year our “talent” never lived up to the hype that it received. I think that Howland is a very nice man-even the kind of man that I might have wanted my kid playing for, but at the end of the day he just didn’t get the job done. The same things can be said about a lot of MSU basketball coaches during my 60+ years. I’m not sure that we will.ever be great at the game of basketball. Richard Williams had a couple of years, as did Stansbury. Even so, those two guys are universally hated by a lot of our fans, so I’m not getting excited about the next guy we hire because he will have plenty of detractors among our fans from the get-go. I really don’t see that it matters much who we hire, because we have some fans who will be ready to fire him after the first 3-4 games..

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
ST is right. It is like folks who think Saban would win here. We don't have the checkbook that UCLA has. It takes money to attract the blue chips.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
$2.6MM is at the bottom end of the SEC. He's going to be close to that. Probably $2.5 MM considering the money folks are involved this time.

No clue, but if we offer $2.6 million, it’ll be “Cohenz cheap *** is gonna run him off to a bigger program first chance he gets!!!11!!!1”.

And if we offer him $3.5 million, it’ll be “Cohenz throwing away all our SEC Network money on an unproven mid major coach!!1!!1!! Should give all that for better football assistants!!!”

So no matter what, it’s going to be an unbelievably terrible offer. Just the worst.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
No clue, but if we offer $2.6 million, it’ll be “Cohenz cheap *** is gonna run him off to a bigger program first chance he gets!!!11!!!1”.

And if we offer him $3.5 million, it’ll be “Cohenz throwing away all our SEC Network money on an unproven mid major coach!!1!!1!! Should give all that for better football assistants!!!”

So no matter what, it’s going to be an unbelievably terrible offer. Just the worst.
This is absurdly accurate.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login