State memorabilia

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I don't know, but a quick search brought up this and I need one badly...

Bulldog-beating-up-Rebel.jpg

The more I look at this the more obvious it is that this is a depiction of the cowbell murder of an elderly Confederate gentleman by a very large bulldog.

I'm not sure this can be produced and sold in standard retail outlets today.

Last edited:

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
My uncle was a state alum prior to the Korean War. He had a few of OP posters laying around and I was gifted one. Never have known much about it other than its antique state memorabilia. Thought I’d take a gander and see if anybody on here would have some insight.

Reactions: She Mate Me

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Would anybody know how old this poster is?

I'm guessing you're going to get a good answer eventually, but it looks like some stuff I remember from the 70's ish era.

I love those old Norman Rockwellesque program covers from the 50's and 60's. Always said I'd start a collection of them but never got around to it.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I agree with She Mate Me that it appears to be in the 70's era but I was a State in the 70's and do not remember this one. Maybe late 60's?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
He is the artist that created Aubie. He has since passed, but still has a good amount of vintage college football art on the interwebs.

Great find.

I think the 1980 Sun Bowl in El Paso is probably right. If anybody has a program from that game I wonder if this artwork was used in it somewhere, or maybe just a promotional piece done for the game.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Great find.

I think the 1980 Sun Bowl in El Paso is probably right. If anybody has a program from that game I wonder if this artwork was used in it somewhere, or maybe just a promotional piece done for the game.
It’s definitely not.
I have the Sun Bowl program somewhere- or did have.
Now I’m going to have to go and look for it.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
It’s definitely not.
I have the Sun Bowl program somewhere- or did have.
Now I’m going to have to go and look for it.
It has a navy blue cover with a rising sun in the lower right corner if I remember correctly.
And a picture of Sun Bowl stadium.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It has a navy blue cover with a rising sun in the lower right corner if I remember correctly.
And a picture of Sun Bowl stadium.

Yeah, I had it at one time. I just meant the artwork might be inside it somewhere. Probably not though.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I don't know, but a quick search brought up this and I need one badly...

View attachment 266501
I have the same sticker on my oldest cowbell. Would love to find reprints of that sticker. The clapper on my bell flew off at a game at Memorial Stadium in Jackson. Some random guy had one of those 'all in one' pocket tools and we removed a square bolt from the bleachers and installed it. It is still there and has a distinctive sound. This dates to late '70's or early '80's.

Reactions: She Mate Me
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login