State podcasts

Sep 17, 2012
I'm sorry, I'm sure this topic has probably been raised dozens of times on this board, but what MSU podcasts are out there besides Thunder and Lightning and the Bart Gregory/Charlie Winfield one? Are there any good podcasts where the hosts are just fans and not media?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Rosebowl's is my favorite, but like you said, he's media too.

You raise a good question, a fan-driven pod would be best, and a few have tried I think. It's just hard to do a podcast if your career/livelihood isn't tied to it somehow. I listen to a number of them, and the few that aren't tied to the money-making side of things usually come and go with not many regular episodes. I used to listen to a guy who started a youth/travel baseball one and that faded recently, I assume because the guy had other priorities.

mdm3045

Dec 8, 2018
A couple weather guys (one guy was in the NOLA area and the other was out of NC) used to do one but they abruptly stopped for some reason or another. I always enjoyed listening to them though.

Sep 11, 2019
Matt Wyatt's "Better Than Average" is pretty good for a little bit deeper dive of football analysis. It's pretty concise time-wise.

I used to listen to the Boneyard but it has gotten to long winded with ad reads and Top 10. I wish he would pair it back down and refocus on the recruiting news.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
A couple weather guys (one guy was in the NOLA area and the other was out of NC) used to do one but they abruptly stopped for some reason or another. I always enjoyed listening to them though.

Skydawgs was a good pod on BSR.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Matt Wyatt's "Better Than Average" is pretty good for a little bit deeper dive of football analysis. It's pretty concise time-wise.

I used to listen to the Boneyard but it has gotten to long winded with ad reads and Top 10. I wish he would pair it back down and refocus on the recruiting news.

Yes, Rosebowl does good work overall as both a sports journalist and MSU mouthpiece, but each podcast could use a good 20 minute edit. I get that he wants to sell ads, but he tends to ramble about his sponsors and that gets old.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
Was that the one where the guy talked like he had a mouth full of rocks and talked entirely too fast?

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010

Every pod cast I have ever listened to has ad reads. They also all have a fast forward button at a 30 second clip. I skip the ad reads and the top ten lists. It's not that difficult.

I listen to about 5 college football podcast a week since I spend about an 1.5 hours a day in my car and many lunches driving, here are mine..

Thunder and Lightning; Boneyard and Better than Average (Hadad, Rosebowl and Wyatt) for my Mississippi State fix but nationally I listen to these two: Cover 3 (CBS sports) and Unnecessary Roughness (Barstool - Brandon Walker)

For my NFL Fantasy news, I use Espn's Fantasy Focus - Stefonia gives some good update information on injuries you wont get from the online reports.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I feel like in most cases those two things are mutually exclusive so I really need to hear this.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Rosebowl's is my favorite, but like you said, he's media too.

You raise a good question, a fan-driven pod would be best, and a few have tried I think. It's just hard to do a podcast if your career/livelihood isn't tied to it somehow. I listen to a number of them, and the few that aren't tied to the money-making side of things usually come and go with not many regular episodes. I used to listen to a guy who started a youth/travel baseball one and that faded recently, I assume because the guy had other priorities.

I only listen to T&L and boneyard regularly. T&L is my clear favorite of the two. Several reasons. Its on every day, its ready to go for morning drive time, and it tends to be more balanced and realistic. Rosebowl is informative as he has a lot of good contacts but he tends to get a little preachy if anyone dares criticize the maroon and white. I am also not a fan of the music top 10 list. I know I don't have to listen to it but I still have to fast forward through it usually while I'm driving down the road.

I have listed to Matt Wyatt a couple of times but not regularly.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Was that the one where the guy talked like he had a mouth full of rocks and talked entirely too fast?

Had too many experiences with folks who did that.

When you're hearing impaired like I am, that's a quick way for me to think of podcasts as being useless.

If folks who have podcasts don't care about allowing people to access them, why should folks like me support them?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Doesn't StateJCP that posts here have one?

He's had some decent interviews.

Sep 17, 2012
Thanks for the responses. It looks like the MSU podcasts are limited to the main media types. I wish there was a true fan one because the media ones are good, but they are limited in what they can say or just don't think objectively because they are enmeshed with the athletic department and they often talk down to fans and argue against strawmen of lowest-common denominator fan stereotypes. Also the homerism is really annoying (I would say Hadad is the best at being non-homer).

For any Saints fans, there's a great pod called the Saints Twitter Pod which is just two friends talking about the games and state of the team. They have good football knowledge and are huge Saints fans but approach it objectively and aren't homers. It makes for a great listen.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Thanks for the responses. It looks like the MSU podcasts are limited to the main media types. I wish there was a true fan one because the media ones are good, but they are limited in what they can say or just don't think objectively because they are enmeshed with the athletic department and they often talk down to fans and argue against strawmen of lowest-common denominator fan stereotypes. Also the homerism is really annoying (I would say Hadad is the best at being non-homer).

For any Saints fans, there's a great pod called the Saints Twitter Pod which is just two friends talking about the games and state of the team. They have good football knowledge and are huge Saints fans but approach it objectively and aren't homers. It makes for a great listen.

So what's stopping you?

Dawgology

Sep 15, 2011
Y’all don’t sleep on Out Of Left Field. Great MState sports podcast. Their Friday dig into opponents stats is one of the most accurate and informative things I’ve listened too sports-wise. Really good podcast.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I wear out the Fast Forward button on the Boneyard these days. It’s an 1.5 hours and it honestly could be 30 minutes. There’s nothing that sucks more than hearing: “Let’s break this game down. We win the opening toss and choose to defer. The kickoff sales into end zone and we start off at our 25. 1st down we run a screen pass for 3 yards. Brings up 2nd and 7 from our own 28…”

Obviously, the Top 10 list is an auto-fast forward too.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
It’s the one I listen to the most, and there definitely isn’t a better one during baseball season.

LanierDawg

Aug 24, 2012
Living out of State, I enjoy different segments of all mentioned podcasts and can keep up with HAILSTATE news while commuting or exercising. Fast forward thru Boneyard especially top 10 list, and all the ads like Close with Blair, Pordico, etc. I like T&L except for Rumblings episode. Out of Left field is great but only 2 episodes per week. (Heard about that on the Pack) . I like parts of the Bo Bounds pod like Mike Detillier, Dave Bartoo and Luginbill segments. Find it funny tho how Bo has such a hard on for Matt Corral, granted Corral is good but can you say man crush Bo? Spotify is a great thing just fast fwd as you wish. Also listen to Bloggin the Boys for what is going on with Dak and the Star

msu0580

Nov 28, 2021
Yes, Rosebowl does good work overall as both a sports journalist and MSU mouthpiece, but each podcast could use a good 20 minute edit. I get that he wants to sell ads, but he tends to ramble about his sponsors and that gets old.

"Rosebowl" and his never ending need to remind us all that he was once a cool tough drug addict before he became the strong sensitive journalist he is now is a total embarrassment to the MSU sports program. Don't believe me? Go read his latest post on the OM247 message board about his past and how mean people will not let him forget it. We'd all forget it if he'd stop bragging about it

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Why does Out Of Bounds feel a need to break every interview down into 1-2min segments and post those as separate pods? That’s annoying. A single days show might have 20 different posted podcasts.

D4L

Aug 2, 2021
Best podcast episode of all the podcasts is the Out of Left Field following the National Championship. Bart and Charlie broadcast from the Hilton lobby. I've listened to it a few times a get chills every time. Luis Pollorena saying, "These guys don't know what they did...." Gets me every time.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Why does Out Of Bounds feel a need to break every interview down into 1-2min segments and post those as separate pods? That’s annoying. A single days show might have 20 different posted podcasts.
It's awesome and I'm glad they do it. I can pick and choose.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
My favorite is Out of Left Field.
Matt Wyatt’s show is very good but I stopped listening when he became inconsistent with posting episodes.
Brian and Robbie are solid.
I listen to Steve regularly but I largely agree with several of the points made about his show on this thread.

Sep 18, 2014

If he would just simplify the ads and move the top 10 to the end, I would listen more. I understand he appreciates his sponsors, but he takes it to the extreme.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login