Still have no clue what a catch is in the NFL

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The answer is always it's probably not a catch if there's any doubt

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
To add context, this is in reference to the play Buffalo challenged last night.

McKenzie caught ball while laying out. Both knees touched in bounds while he had control. He kept control while surviving the ground. After his knees touched, his torso came down out of bounds. His momentum carried him out without his feet touching at all. Replay confirmed all of the above, but they still upheld the call on the field of incomplete.

That’s a 17ing catch.

Reactions: onewoof

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
To add context, this is in reference to the play Buffalo challenged last night.

McKenzie caught ball while laying out. Both knees touched in bounds while he had control. He kept control while surviving the ground. After his knees touched, his torso came down out of bounds. His momentum carried him out without his feet touching at all. Replay confirmed all of the above, but they still upheld the call on the field of incomplete.

That’s a 17ing catch.
If it’s the one I’m thinking of, the ball clearly rolled on the ground under the player while he was going to the ground. Since he kept it under control the entire time, that call was going to stand as called on the field either way.

And to further explain the idea, a catch has to survive going to the ground in that instance because him going to the ground was the their part of the catch since he wasn’t standing up to make a 3rd step or football move.

It helps if you take “what you wanted to happen” out of the equation and then after you do that, stop trying to understand it. It only makes it worse.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Two feet in bounds is a catch, but two knees isn’t?
I was watching a Buffalo pre-season game a couple of years ago when Allen hit a receiver running down the hash for a short TD pass from the 10. The receiver caught it about 5yds deep in the end zone, took two full strides with ball control before running out the back of the end zone, took another two steps still with ball control then ball was knocked out by the defender. They ruled it incomplete on the field, reviewed it and upheld the call and Steve Tasker (former Bill) who was announcing also agreed with the call. That one still blows my mind. Two full strides with control in the end zone, two steps out of bounds with control. No TD catch?

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
They got it right.

His body knocked the ball off his hand when he made contact with the ground.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
If it’s the one I’m thinking of, the ball clearly rolled on the ground under the player while he was going to the ground. Since he kept it under control the entire time, that call was going to stand as called on the field either way.

And to further explain the idea, a catch has to survive going to the ground in that instance because him going to the ground was the their part of the catch since he wasn’t standing up to make a 3rd step or football move.

It helps if you take “what you wanted to happen” out of the equation and then after you do that, stop trying to understand it. It only makes it worse.

I don’t think there was any camera view that showed the ball rolling. It moved as he was holding it securely because he landed on it, which is what happens on every such catch in the NFL where the player lays out for the ball. He had control the whole time.

Also as far as what I wanted to happen, I’m not sure what that means. Wasn’t really a fan of either team, butvin the interest of chaos I was hoping the Dolphins would pull it out. So I had no vested interest in rooting for the Bills to convert, but I like seeing the game called fairly and catches being called catches. Sometimes it feels like they still haven’t gotten very far since that Dez Bryant - Green Bay debacle.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
I don’t think there was any camera view that showed the ball rolling. It moved as he was holding it securely because he landed on it, which is what happens on every such catch in the NFL where the player lays out for the ball. He had control the whole time.

Also as far as what I wanted to happen, I’m not sure what that means. Wasn’t really a fan of either team, butvin the interest of chaos I was hoping the Dolphins would pull it out. So I had no vested interest in rooting for the Bills to convert, but I like seeing the game called fairly and catches being called catches. Sometimes it feels like they still haven’t gotten very far since that Dez Bryant - Green Bay debacle.
The ball rolled under his body when he hit the ground in the one I’m thinking of. See link below but it never shows the view I’m speaking of.

As he fell more out of bounds, it rolled off of his onto the ground under his body. It was only visible from the up field side (looking from the line of scrimmage) and they didn’t concentrate on that view but twice.

If the call had been a catch on the field, that call would have stood also. Sometimes, there just isn’t a clear enough view to overturn something.

Now, if only someone could explain what pass interference is because I sure thought I saw it at the end of the Washington/NY game tonight but…

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login