Still think we compete with Ole Miss cash?

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Deion Smith is a moron. Can see him washing out by this time next year. And he won't get the touches that he thinks he deserves and will be a cancer

Judkins will be broke. Running backs are a dime a dozen in the NFL, and don't command the money that they used to. Nor do they have the career lengths that they used to. Teams use them up a couple of years and move on.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
A little Mercedes/ Bama story. We had the wife’s last Mercedes at the dealership in Tuscaloosa having a recall done a few years ago. Ironically Saban doesn’t own that one or at least didn’t at the time. I was there half the day waiting along with this big kid in a Bama track suit, college age, who I assumed had to be a basketball player. Nice kid and we struck up a conversation. Turned out that he was a practice squad wide receiver, been injured and never played much. He asked questions about what we had, wanted recommendations because he was trading his Dodge Challenger. He even asked me to walk outside and look at vehicles with him. He left before I did in a Mercedes SUV and he was just on the practice squad. That was the day that I realized that State would never really be competitive in football.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Pearl Harbor GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
It's a publicity stunt but damn. I don't want my money going to a college student so he can drive a better car than anyone in my family just so I can feel good in the fall. Judkins drives a Mercedes he bought at a Saban-owned dealership. https://www.clarionledger.com/story...ion-smith-lamborghini-recruiting/71994651007/
I am buddies with a builder who has built a lot of houses in Oxford. He says 9 out of 10 of the people he has built houses for are one check away from going under.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Not sure who thought MSU could compete with OM cash? Just way more OM boosters who have the status of their football program as the top priority in their life plus the fact that doctors and lawyers have way more disposable income than most folks. Only way MSU will ever truly compete in cash with them is if the schools can begin paying players directly. And I'm ok with that because when good college players are making more than NFL rookies off the back of booster donations something is seriously out of whack. And that's where we are.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You all would be surprised that there are just as many lawyers and doctors in Mississippi with USM and MSU bachelor's degrees. Ole Miss borrow money and paying it back with donations. They got debt. How much more do they really have? They are going all in for next year, but it will not be that easy to get into the playoff. It is still about ratings and money and the committee will take that into consideration. They will have to be in top 10 to get into the playoff.

Reactions: Dawgg and Dawg84

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
How does making the students (who are going to school to be a doctor) work 2 jobs to scrape buy while the basket weavers live the life of luxury play out in the long run?

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Not sure who thought MSU could compete with OM cash? Just way more OM boosters who have the status of their football program as the top priority in their life plus the fact that doctors and lawyers have way more disposable income than most folks. Only way MSU will ever truly compete in cash with them is if the schools can begin paying players directly. And I'm ok with that because when good college players are making more than NFL rookies off the back of booster donations something is seriously out of whack. And that's where we are.
There were as many people in my med school class from State as there were from Ole Miss

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Not sure which thought MSU could compete with OM cash? Just way more OM boosters who have the status of their football program as the top priority in their life plus the fact that doctors and lawyers have way more disposable income than most folks. Only way MSU will ever truly compete in cash with them is if the schools can begin paying players directly. And I'm ok with that because when goo college players are making more than NFL rookies something is seriously out of whack. And that's where we are.
You all would be surprised that there are just as many lawyers and doctors in Mississippi with USM and MSU bachelor's degrees. Ole Miss borrow money and paying it back with donations. They got debt. How much more do they really have? They are going all in for next year, but it will not be that easy to get into the playoff. It is still about ratings and money and the committee will take that into consideration. They will have to be in top 10 to get into the playoff.
I don't know. Maybe the ones from MSU just don't care as much about football or maybe they converted in grad school. OM definitely has the ability to raise more booster money for football than we do.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Not sure which thought MSU could compete with OM cash? Just way more OM boosters who have the status of their football program as the top priority in their life plus the fact that doctors and lawyers have way more disposable income than most folks. Only way MSU will ever truly compete in cash with them is if the schools can begin paying players directly. And I'm ok with that because when goo college players are making more than NFL rookies something is seriously out of whack. And that's where we are.

I don't know. Maybe the ones from MSU just don't care as much about football or maybe they converted in grad school. OM definitely has the ability to raise more booster money for football than we do.
There were no conversions in med school. The only association to ole miss I ever saw there was a random flyer on a wall advertising football tickets.

And I would bet their doctors aren’t much, if any, contributing more than ours are. It’s mostly lawyers and businessmen, most of whom can finagle some sort of tax write off with it.

I worked at gas station/TCBY back home during college. The owner of the chain was a big ole miss booster. They went to our Church and he had recently left his sweet wife who raised their kids, taking all of the money with him. He left her for this freakish 6’4” plastic surgery hack job. He had tool written all over him. Now he’s on wife # 3 and has more than once been recognized on field during ole miss games for his contributions. That’s who I picture as many of their big boosters.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Definitely rented but it’s a free country (I think..maybe it still is) and he can spend his cash however he wants.
Be nice to see some of these guys invest or do something smart, besides show up in new cars with bltches and blunts.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I am buddies with a builder who has built a lot of houses in Oxford. He says 9 out of 10 of the people he has built houses for are one check away from going under.
I recall financing a car years ago. After the guy saw my debt ratio he told me he was shocked. Said I would not believe the number of Reunion people who are stretched beyond belief trying to keep up. He assumed because I live in Madison that I would be the same. He called out “Reunion” specifically. For those not from Madison MS area, it is a high $/sqft “upscale” neighborhood that is also well known for a pineapple affinity

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
You either fully embrace the turd that is the new NCAAF system or your team will suck. There is NO middle ground. These kids want the shiny object and they want it now.

Reactions: BossDawg78

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You either fully embrace the turd that is the new NCAAF system or your team will suck. There is NO middle ground. These kids want the shiny object and they want it now.
Nah, there’s always a middle ground, where folks on a budget innovate to find a way to level the field. You may not completely flip the script (I.e. win a football natty) but you can figure out a way to contend for the playoff.

Many of you will find out next year that even if OM makes the playoff, they won’t really have a shot to win it. But - this is their plan and it’s working for them.

But back to the middle ground, obviously you can’t do the triple option anymore unless you’re a service academy or something. But you’ve got plenty of things like the Air Raid, recruiting/development strategies, smart use of limited NIL, etc to deploy.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Nah, there’s always a middle ground, where folks on a budget innovate to find a way to level the field. You may not completely flip the script (I.e. win a football natty) but you can figure out a way to contend for the playoff.

Many of you will find out next year that even if OM makes the playoff, they won’t really have a shot to win it. But - this is their plan and it’s working for them.

But back to the middle ground, obviously you can’t do the triple option anymore unless you’re a service academy or something. But you’ve got plenty of things like the Air Raid, recruiting/development strategies, smart use of limited NIL, etc to deploy.
10 years ago, yes. That’s not going to happen any more. You’ll get pistol whipped in the first round of the playoffs without the horses.

Culture is different too. Kids care about being “the foundation of a program on the rise” unless they are compensated handsomely. All that crap is over.

$$$$ or GTFO

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
10 years ago, yes. That’s not going to happen any more. You’ll get pistol whipped in the first round of the playoffs without the horses.

Culture is different too. Kids care about being “the foundation of a program on the rise” unless they are compensated handsomely. All that crap is over.

$$$$ or GTFO
That’s true, but I would never expect us to win a playoff game anyway. Some may call me negative, but that’s how it is. Facts.

I do agree that NIL is one of the worst things to happen to MSU sports. We spent 50 years trying to figure out a way to compete in college athletics and we finally make some hay, and the rug is ripped out from under us.

One form of innovation is to concentrate on basketball. Nobody will like that, it it’s an avenue. But I don’t see that an a real option for us now, we don’t even have suites and can’t get regular decent attendance.

So we are back to how to innovate in football. I don’t think we can do it the Ole Miss way. What is our way? Scrambling with NIL to go 6-6 aint worth a shlt. Then you have to do it again the next year, and the next. We will always be behind.

Time to think differently.

ETA: but even I realize this may be impossible. I mean, do we have any innovation at the high school level within our own state? Nope, all we do is run the ball and put the fastest guy at QB and send him to camps to learn to throw adequately. So I have no idea. We have some Air Raid teams around, but they get run out of town quickly before they get started, and it’s obvious our dubmass fans won’t embrace that bc RuN da BaWl MaNe. Maybe we really do need to learn from the JUCOs, that’s where MS football actually wins.

Last edited:

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018
I think OM only has about a 2 or 3M advantage in NIL total.

And the rumor is they worked with a lending institution to bring in the #1 portal class.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
To Leeshouldveflanked. They must poll NY and LA types only. Do you spend anywhere close to that?

bannerdawg

Aug 15, 2013

They may not win, but the media coverage/status of being in the playoff pumps more money and recruits into their program. I guess we’ll still celebrate the year we came in 2nd in the SEC. We have to go all in on the current NIL, or we become USM.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
They may not win, but the media coverage/status of being in the playoff pumps more money and recruits into their program. I guess we’ll still celebrate the year we came in 2nd in the SEC. We have to go all in on the current NIL, or we become USM.
I agree with the media coverage, but I was talking in terms of their ability to actually win with their team makeup.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Innovation.

What are we doing? Hiring buddies and raising enough NIL to still be 13th in the conference? Cool plan.
What's OM "innovation"? Spend the requisite money in the portal and hire a good coach? That's become the baseline and we won't even do that.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What's OM "innovation"? Spend the requisite money in the portal and hire a good coach? That's become the baseline and we won't even do that.
They aren’t spending baseline amounts bruh. They are going above and beyond. Combined with Kiffin’s offensive system and embracing the portal. They’ve also marketed themselves very well.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
They aren’t spending baseline amounts bruh. They are going above and beyond. Combined with Kiffin’s offensive system and embracing the portal. They’ve also marketed themselves very well.
We will never know the numbers, but I think we overplay their spending because they are our rivals and we will overreact to everything they do. I bet all top 15 teams are spending more than we want to admit. OM is all in. We never will be. It doesn't mean that much to us.

I agree that Kiffin was one of the first to attack the portal. But now that's the standard.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We will never know the numbers, but I think we overplay their spending because they are our rivals and we will overreact to everything they do. I bet all top 15 teams are spending more than we want to admit. OM is all in. We never will be. It doesn't mean that much to us.

I agree that Kiffin was one of the first to attack the portal. But now that's the standard.
They are willing to fight in the street, as Bo Bounds likes to say. The only things separating them from Bama/Georgia are obviously the size of the home state and overall fanbase, and the reputation of the program/coach. From time to time they fix the second part (like now and under Freeze) but MS does hold them back some, so gap will continue to exist..

But as far as boosters doing what it takes - they are right there with the best of them. I know some of these folks. They don’t 17 around, especially now that they have a program to believe in again.

Arkansas is very similar but their state/size/talent holds them back as well. Plus they obviously haven’t hit on a coach in a while.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I had some time to think about this today after watching Ole Miss, and hearing about their high paid players, and the class they have coming into the portal. I wonder if it's better to hang your hat on being able to buy the people you want or keep on adding to that the family we have here at Mississippi State, I might be looking at things from very simplistic point of view but I kind of like what we built at Mississippi State in previous years and I don't know that I want somebody that has to be bought to join. I'd rather have someone that wants to join and get the money they need. I know what I think doesn't matter the grand scheme of things but I have a feeling of the hired gun is gonna end up biting itself in the *** before long.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login