Stone Blanton grew up burning ole miss hats

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

It is insane the Leach tenure was so dysfunctional in recruiting that we couldn’t land Stone Blanton out of high school.

*checks notes* the kid grew up burning ole miss hats!

When you read stories like this and the Dante Dowdell recruitment it’s embarrassing the staff Leach put together in some areas. Him bringing so many staffers from Washington State was a crime.

Edited to add: I don’t mean to take away from this article. Blanton seems like an awesome get in the portal. Just these are the kids we can’t miss on.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'll play.

Does anybody have any actual evidence of what happened with him back in the class of 2022? Our class was ranked #26, remember, so they weren't dysfunctional. No doubt I didn't like the fact that we didn't land Blanton, but there again, we were doing things differently for the first time in, well, our history. A lot of people aren't comfortable with that.

I would be interested in the specifics. It could be as simple as he wanted to play for Shane Beamer, and now that he's on the hot seat, he wanted out. Maybe he didn't like Arnett. Because if it was Leach he didn't like, why didn't he come back last year?

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020

It is insane the Leach tenure was so dysfunctional in recruiting that we couldn’t land Stone Blanton out of high school.

When you read stories like this and the Dante Dowdell recruitment it’s embarrassing the staff Leach put together in some areas. Him bringing so many staffers from Washington State was a crime.

Edited to add: I don’t mean to take away from this article. Blanton seems like an awesome get in the portal. Just these are the kids we can’t miss on.

Did leach embarrass you at a press conference ? You are really butthurt

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I don’t know how Leach recruited but if the way he ran the day to day operations are any indication, it seems like he let the defense do their own thing so this is perhaps on the defensive staff.
The other thing is this is nothing new. We have tons of players across all three sports that grew up State fans and went to other schools, especially Starkville recruits. Players are going to go where they feel they will see the most success. Fandom plays into it but it isn’t the determining factor.

Oct 7, 2022

That writer needs an editor………….

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I'll play.

Does anybody have any actual evidence of what happened with him back in the class of 2022? Our class was ranked #26, remember, so they weren't dysfunctional. No doubt I didn't like the fact that we didn't land Blanton, but there again, we were doing things differently for the first time in, well, our history. A lot of people aren't comfortable with that.

I would be interested in the specifics. It could be as simple as he wanted to play for Shane Beamer, and now that he's on the hot seat, he wanted out. Maybe he didn't like Arnett. Because if it was Leach he didn't like, why didn't he come back last year?
My point wasn’t just about Leach but about his entire recruiting staff (Dave Emerick). Obviously Leach wasn’t the main recruiter for every position, but he did make some poor hires. For example, his hiring of Jeff Phelps D Line coach in 2020 during the height of our NFL D line success is a crazy strategy. There were reports that Leach didn’t care to put much emphasis on D Line recruiting. Very apparent, given the lack of star recruits we landed at that position.

To be fair, I’m not excited about Lebby retaining David Turner either (I think he’s past his prime). That needs to be a position we are leveraging with everything we have.

Attachments

• IMG_2566.jpeg
    IMG_2566.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 6

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
My point wasn’t just about Leach but about his entire recruiting staff (Dave Emerick). Obviously Leach wasn’t the main recruiter for every position, but he did make some poor hires. For example, his hiring of Jeff Phelps D Line coach in 2020 during the height of our NFL D line success is a crazy strategy. There were reports that Leach didn’t care to put much emphasis on D Line recruiting. Very apparent, given the lack of star recruits we landed at that position.

To be fair, I’m not excited about Lebby retaining David Turner either (I think he’s past his prime). That needs to be a position we are leveraging with everything we have.
I’d take Phelps over David Turner.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

So now we've moved off overall crootin, and now focusing on DL. I'm not seeing the issue here either.

2021 - not a great year in-state, which is where we sign most of our big-time DLs. But we got the best one, Ty Cooper, and went out of state and got Anderson. Also got Lewis, a guy that can do LB and rush the QB.

2022 - Got Williams, Dinkins, Russell, Clayton and other defensive guys like Sledge and Moore.

So what are you talking about? Just because dumbshlt Arnett and now Lebby ran these guys off, doesn't mean they weren't good players. They are the typical defensive players MSU gets. This state produces a ton of the tweener types like Lewis/Sledge/Moore who can be both DEs and LBs.

ETA: Leach also put 2 DLs in the NFL draft. Does your breath start stankin' after all that mouth breathing?

Reactions: 85Bears

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I’d take Phelps over David Turner.
Turner was lead recruiter for Fletcher Cox, Fletcher Adams, Pernell McPhee and he and T Hughes were instrumental in us landing Jeffrey Simmons. I just think he might’ve lost his touch.

Not sure what I can point to with Phelps but maybe he’s been tearing it up with North Dakota State & Wyoming the last couple of seasons.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I have never seen someone run down a dead guy like retard the banner has over the last 1.5 years.
I just really hate the way that era lowered the overall standard and perception of our program within our fan base. No one wishes Leach was dead, that’s not fair to say. But we got a washed up version of him and he didn’t do as much good as the mouth breathers on here believe. It’s tough when someone passes because our human nature is to just cling to everything that wasn’t bad about them. I’m not attacking Leach as a person or anything, I just think he wasn’t a good hire for what we needed.

Also ‘retard the banner’ is pretty damn good lol

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
So now we've moved off overall crootin, and now focusing on DL. I'm not seeing the issue here either.

2021 - not a great year in-state, which is where we sign most of our big-time DLs. But we got the best one, Ty Cooper, and went out of state and got Anderson. Also got Lewis, a guy that can do LB and rush the QB.

2022 - Got Williams, Dinkins, Russell, Clayton and other defensive guys like Sledge and Moore.

So what are you talking about? Just because dumbshlt Arnett and now Lebby ran these guys off, doesn't mean they weren't good players. They are the typical defensive players MSU gets. This state produces a ton of the tweener types like Lewis/Sledge/Moore who can be both DEs and LBs.

ETA: Leach also put 2 DLs in the NFL draft. Does your breath start stankin' after all that mouth breathing?
A few things, Goat

-Avery Sledge currently plays for Southern Miss

-Gabe Moore RS last year and is now sitting out this year, but I do hope he can contribute

-Jacarius Clayton currently plays for Marshall

-I do agree about John Lewis, I think he can be a good player for us. But you need to talk to Perd Hapley about that, because according to him since Lewis hasn’t contributed this far, he won’t be an impact player this season.

-This season hinges a lot on Trevion Williams and Dinkins. We need them to step up. I’m optimistic

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I just really hate the way that era lowered the overall standard and perception of our program within our fan base. No one wishes Leach was dead, that’s not fair to say. But we got a washed up version of him and he didn’t do as much good as the mouth breathers on here believe. It’s tough when someone passes because our human nature is to just cling to everything that wasn’t bad about them. I’m not attacking Leach as a person or anything, I just think he wasn’t a good hire for what we needed.

From previous posts I guess I must call myself a mouth breather because I think CL did a tremendous amount of good at State. I do agree that we did not get him in his prime, but I do think he brought eyes to the program that would have never been there otherwise. I also think he is a good, but not great coach that was a even better person. Now I have to ask can you please explain how the Leach era lowered the overall standard and perception of our program within the fan base? I can pretty much see the reasoning behind most of your Leach hate, but this particular statement is perplexing. Or did I not read slash interpret it correctly?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
A few things, Goat

-Avery Sledge currently plays for Southern Miss

-Gabe Moore RS last year and is now sitting out this year, but I do hope he can contribute

-Jacarius Clayton currently plays for Marshall

-I do agree about John Lewis, I think he can be a good player for us. But you need to talk to Perd Hapley about that, because according to him since Lewis hasn’t contributed this far, he won’t be an impact player this season.

-This season hinges a lot on Trevion Williams and Dinkins. We need them to step up. I’m optimistic
We always have guys like that, who develop under good coaching.

Sorry man, but your argument about the DL got torched. Move to the next one. You should have just stuck with Stone Blanton, which was the first question I asked. I'm guessing you don't know the story there either.

Reactions: 85Bears

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012

That's on our fanbase, not Leach. We had a HOF level coach, who came in and disrupted our Good Ole Missippi tate approach, didn't cater to the crowd that feels entitled to being catered to; and built a team to a 9 win season while apparently suffering heart failure. 9 wins or more have only happened 4 times since this century and many of our fans wouldn't let go and enjoy it. Leach also brought more exposure to our program then possibly any coach we've every had (which likely made a LOT of MSU people jealous).

And then when he dies - we did almost nothing to honor the guy.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
We always have guys like that, who develop under good coaching.

Sorry man, but your argument about the DL got torched. Move to the next one. You should have just stuck with Stone Blanton, which was the first question I asked. I'm guessing you don't know the story there either.
How exactly did it get torched? Because after 3 Leach recruiting classes we are left with 2 players on the defensive line? Huh?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How exactly did it get torched? Because after 3 Leach recruiting classes we are left with 2 players on the defensive line? Huh?
Nope, not gonna happen. What happened after 2023 in the portal is not on Leach. If I player leaves during a coaching change, it's the new coach's responsibility to find another one in the portal. Or in this case, if Lebby runs them off because he thinks they suck, so especially on him.

Next.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Nope, not gonna happen. What happened after 2023 in the portal is not on Leach. If I player leaves during a coaching change, it's the new coach's responsibility to find another one in the portal. Or in this case, if Lebby runs them off because he thinks they suck, so especially on him.

Next.
So you want to count the Leach recruits that transferred to…. Southern Miss as a positive on his recruiting strategy? Interesting

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

So are you saying Blanton didn’t have a commitable offer from us? Because that’s horseshít. He could have come here whenever he wanted and still chose not to. Sounds like you’re saying its Leach’s fault for not kissing his asś enough.

Glad he’s part of the program now, but it’s on nobody else but him that he chose not to come here out of HS. He had the opportunity.

cowboydawg

Dec 23, 2009
So are you saying Blanton didn’t have a commitable offer from us? Because that’s horseshít. He could have come here whenever he wanted and still chose not to. Sounds like you’re saying its Leach’s fault for not kissing his asś enough.

Glad he’s part of the program now, but it’s on nobody else but him that he chose not to come here out of HS. He had the opportunity.

I know for a fact that Leach and staff were not high on Stone Blanton and put minimal effort into recruiting him. Their recruitment of him was more to appease local alumni. This came directly from a staff member.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I know for a fact that Leach and staff were not high on Stone Blanton and put minimal effort into recruiting him. Their recruitment of him was more to appease local alumni. This came directly from a staff member.

“Not high on him”

“Put in minimal effort”

All a bunch of subjective BS. Did he have a committable offer, or did he not?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login