Stone Simmons

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
That 12-18 month Tommy John window. May not ever recover. It is odd to me its taken this long, makes you wonder. Hope for the best for Stone.

Reactions: SouthMsDawg02

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Didn't he get injured this same weekend as Landon Sims? If so, it will be 2 years in March since the injury.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
He was in the first base coaching box this weekend. Never threw during a game. Don’t know. He said he was ready in a Coleman interview.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That 12-18 month Tommy John window. May not ever recover. It is odd to me its taken this long, makes you wonder. Hope for the best for Stone.
Yeah, its well beyond 18 months at this point.

I’m sure he’s healthy, but being healthy and being at the same level of pre-injury effectiveness in terms of velocity and control are different things.

Auger’s injury was later than Simmons’ was, but you could tell he is pretty close to normal now. No two players are the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuntDawg

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
I applaud him for wanting to stay engaged and coach first base, but we still have problems on the base paths. Is it Simmons’ fault? Doubtful, but we need someone on the payroll out there so they can be held accountable and not a player. Our HC’s job is on the line, and we are still putting a player in a coaching position.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I applaud him for wanting to stay engaged and coach first base, but we still have problems on the base paths. Is it Simmons’ fault? Doubtful, but we need someone on the payroll out there so they can be held accountable and not a player. Our HC’s job is on the line, and we are still putting a player in a coaching position.
Having a player coach 1st base just has the look of a coach who’s not taking the job seriously.

Reactions: SouthMsDawg02

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Having a player coach 1st base just has the look of a coach who’s not taking the job seriously.
Maybe, but the IB did the same if I remember correctly, and the one thing you can't accuse him of was not taking things seriously. Or maybe he didn't? I can't recall, but seems like we've had players over there for a long time.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I dang sure wouldn't trust a player coaching the baserunners. Polk was always at third and I believe Corbin still coaches 3rd. Baserunners and runs are too important not to get your arse off the bucket.

Reactions: bolddogge

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I dang sure wouldn't trust a player coaching the baserunners. Polk was always at third and I believe Corbin still coaches 3rd. Baserunners and runs are too important not to get your arse off the bucket.
Looks like Cohen did not have players there. So yeah, not sure when this became the trend.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Lemonis has always had Cheesborough on 3rd and I can't tell you how many times we've questioned his calls from down the LFL in our box on lower level. He is way too conservative there, doesn't send enough guys home that from our perspective looks like they would score easily

SouthMsDawg02

Oct 2, 2023
I think we see him coaching 1st base a lot more than we see him on the mound this year. I wont be shocked to see Pico back before Stone.

Reactions: HuntDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think we see him coaching 1st base a lot more than we see him on the mound this year. I wont be shocked to see Pico back before Stone.
I know he had a complete tear, but if he was going to be back, he'd be back by now. I mean he's at almost 2 years post op. I'm guessing his performance isn't as good as we need. Hate it for him.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Yeah, its well beyond 18 months at this point.

I’m sure he’s healthy, but being healthy and being at the same level of pre-injury effectiveness in terms of velocity and control are different things.

Auger’s injury was later than Simmons’ was, but you could tell he is pretty close to normal now. No two players are the same.
You never know. Some wind up like Riley Self.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
I thought that Polk was always horrible coaching 3rd base. Polk did let Mark Johnson coach 3rd base while Mark was on the staff.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Cruel as it is, if Simmons isn’t going to be contributing this year, the hard but legitimate question is why in the world do you burn a roster spot on him in 2024? I mean, potentially we’re talking about a guy not being physically able to play for 2.5 entire seasons, yet still occupying a spot in the dugout the entire time.

These are situations where you’ve got to find a goodwill exit strategy. Transfer him over to a special GA position for a season, get him some additional academic aid in exchange for dropping off the squad, or whatever else. But its absurd to keep him on the team if he can’t 17ing play.

If the NCAA wants to make themselves useful, they should revisit the baseball roster limits and set up an annual allowance for PUP players. Allow up to 3-5 per year to remain on team but not count towards roster limit if they are declared as inactive by 2/1 each year.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login