Story Behind MSU Legends Baseball Poster??

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
How many of you have this poster or know the story behind it? I've had it since I was young.

I found this on Worthpoint while googling. Was curious who the pitcher was that helped get it published. Just a neat piece of memorabilia that someone that was older than me at that time may know something about.

Thanks in advance.

Pics in second post because i'm an idiot

"Mississippi State University Baseball Legends - 100 Years of Championship Baseball" print honoring Mississippi State University. The print was published by a former MSU Bulldog pitcher in 1990 in conjunction with the University's athletic department. There were only 671 prints produced. Each print was hand signed by fifteen of the school's greatest players and coaches.These 610 limited edition prints were made in 1990. The artist is Dennis Huey.Due to the unfortunate passing of 3 of the players who signed these prints it is indeed a non-replaceable collectible.The players and coaches who signed each piece are:Ron Polk -Retired in 2008, Coached MSU baseball for 27 yearsMississippi Sports Hall of Fame (1998)MSU Sports Hall of Fame (1998)American Baseball Coaches Hall of Fame (1995)Georgia Southern Baseball Hall of Fame (1990)National Coach of the Year, (1973 and 1985)Inducted in 2009 to College Baseball Hall of FameDave "Boo" Ferriss -Spent nine years with the Boston Red Sox and won 21 games as a rookie pitcher in 1945.Holds American League record for winning 46 games in his first two professional seasons.Pitched a shutout victory for the Red Sox over the St. Louis Cardinals in the 1946 World Series.Boston Red Sox Hall of Fame (2002)MSU Sports Hall of Fame (1970)Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame (1964)Died 2016Rafael Pameiro -One of 19 Major League players to hit 500 home runs in a careerRafael and Babe Ruth are the only Major League baseball players to hit 38 home runs in eight consecutive seasonsThree time All-American during his three years at MSUWon three straight Golden Gloves Awards from 1997 thru 1999Has played in 4 Major League All-Star gamesPaul Gregory -SEC coach of the Year 4 timesSkippered MSU to 4 SEC Championship crownsMississippi Sports Hall of Fame (1982)National Baseball Coaches Hall of Fame (1977)MSU Sports Hall of Fame (1977)Died 1999Alex Grammas -Spent 10 years in the Major Leagues with the Cardinals, Reds, and Cubs.MSU Sports Hall of Fame 1976Jimmy Bragan -Spent eight years in the Major Leagues as a coach with the Reds, Expos, and BrewersSpent 15 years as President of Southern League (minor league baseball)Alabama Sports Hall of Fame 2001South Atlantic League Hall of FameMSU Sports Hall of Fame (1983)Died 2001Jeff Brantley -Spent 14 years in the ?Major Leagues with 5 different teams including the Giants, Reds, and PhilliesCo-hosted ESPN's "Baseball Tonight"Jack Lazorko -Spent 5 years in the Major Leagues with the Brewers, Mariners, Tigers, and AngelsMSU Sports Hall of Fame (1997)Phil "Lefty" Brandon -MSU Sports Hall of Fame (1982)Frank Montgomery -MSU Sports Hall of Fame (1999)Dell Unser -Spent 15 years in the Major Leagues with the Senators(Rangers), Indians, Phillies, Mets, and ExposSet a Major League record by hitting 3 consecutive pinch hit home runs for the Phillies in 1979Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame (1997)MSU Sports Hall of FameBobby Thigpen -Spent nine years in the Major Leagues with the White Sox, Phillies, and MarinersHolds Major League for the most saves in a single season. Bobby saved 57 games for the White Sox in 1990.All Star in 1990American League Rolaids relief man award 1990Will Clark -Spent 15 years in the Major Leagues with the Giants, Rangers, Orioles, and Cardinals.284 home runs and a .303 career batting average.Perennial All-StarGolden Glove award 1991Two time silver slugger award 1989 and 1991National League RBI leader 1988Golden Spikes award 1985Mississippi Sports Hall of FameKen Tatum -MSU Sports Hall of Fame (1994)Pitched for 6 years in the Major Leagues with the Angels, Red Sox, and White SoxPhil Still -MSU Sports Hall of Fame 2017SEC champion and standout 3rd baseman "

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
So....we finally know the artist that painted the Shipley's mural, nice.
Is that atrocity still up? Shipley sold to someone else not terribly long ago and I was hoping the new owners would "see the light"

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I wish someone with the skills (and lots of folks have photo creation skills now) would do a modern day version of this and sell it to the masses. State has had around a 100 players make MLB now, I would definitely be interested in one with folks like Renfroe, Frazier, Papelbon, Rooker included. - https://www.baseball-reference.com/schools/?key_school=295b5100
Man, I bet the folks in creative department at the athletic depart could do a kickass poster of the MLB players of the past 50 years.

Reactions: bsquared24

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
How many of you have this poster or know the story behind it? I've had it since I was young.

I found this on Worthpoint while googling. Was curious who the pitcher was that helped get it published. Just a neat piece of memorabilia that someone that was older than me at that time may know something about.

Thanks in advance.

Pics in second post because i'm an idiot

"Mississippi State University Baseball Legends - 100 Years of Championship Baseball" print honoring Mississippi State University. The print was published by a former MSU Bulldog pitcher in 1990 in conjunction with the University's athletic department. There were only 671 prints produced. Each print was hand signed by fifteen of the school's greatest players and coaches.These 610 limited edition prints were made in 1990. The artist is Dennis Huey.Due to the unfortunate passing of 3 of the players who signed these prints it is indeed a non-replaceable collectible.The players and coaches who signed each piece are:Ron Polk -Retired in 2008, Coached MSU baseball for 27 yearsMississippi Sports Hall of Fame (1998)MSU Sports Hall of Fame (1998)American Baseball Coaches Hall of Fame (1995)Georgia Southern Baseball Hall of Fame (1990)National Coach of the Year, (1973 and 1985)Inducted in 2009 to College Baseball Hall of FameDave "Boo" Ferriss -Spent nine years with the Boston Red Sox and won 21 games as a rookie pitcher in 1945.Holds American League record for winning 46 games in his first two professional seasons.Pitched a shutout victory for the Red Sox over the St. Louis Cardinals in the 1946 World Series.Boston Red Sox Hall of Fame (2002)MSU Sports Hall of Fame (1970)Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame (1964)Died 2016Rafael Pameiro -One of 19 Major League players to hit 500 home runs in a careerRafael and Babe Ruth are the only Major League baseball players to hit 38 home runs in eight consecutive seasonsThree time All-American during his three years at MSUWon three straight Golden Gloves Awards from 1997 thru 1999Has played in 4 Major League All-Star gamesPaul Gregory -SEC coach of the Year 4 timesSkippered MSU to 4 SEC Championship crownsMississippi Sports Hall of Fame (1982)National Baseball Coaches Hall of Fame (1977)MSU Sports Hall of Fame (1977)Died 1999Alex Grammas -Spent 10 years in the Major Leagues with the Cardinals, Reds, and Cubs.MSU Sports Hall of Fame 1976Jimmy Bragan -Spent eight years in the Major Leagues as a coach with the Reds, Expos, and BrewersSpent 15 years as President of Southern League (minor league baseball)Alabama Sports Hall of Fame 2001South Atlantic League Hall of FameMSU Sports Hall of Fame (1983)Died 2001Jeff Brantley -Spent 14 years in the ?Major Leagues with 5 different teams including the Giants, Reds, and PhilliesCo-hosted ESPN's "Baseball Tonight"Jack Lazorko -Spent 5 years in the Major Leagues with the Brewers, Mariners, Tigers, and AngelsMSU Sports Hall of Fame (1997)Phil "Lefty" Brandon -MSU Sports Hall of Fame (1982)Frank Montgomery -MSU Sports Hall of Fame (1999)Dell Unser -Spent 15 years in the Major Leagues with the Senators(Rangers), Indians, Phillies, Mets, and ExposSet a Major League record by hitting 3 consecutive pinch hit home runs for the Phillies in 1979Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame (1997)MSU Sports Hall of FameBobby Thigpen -Spent nine years in the Major Leagues with the White Sox, Phillies, and MarinersHolds Major League for the most saves in a single season. Bobby saved 57 games for the White Sox in 1990.All Star in 1990American League Rolaids relief man award 1990Will Clark -Spent 15 years in the Major Leagues with the Giants, Rangers, Orioles, and Cardinals.284 home runs and a .303 career batting average.Perennial All-StarGolden Glove award 1991Two time silver slugger award 1989 and 1991National League RBI leader 1988Golden Spikes award 1985Mississippi Sports Hall of FameKen Tatum -MSU Sports Hall of Fame (1994)Pitched for 6 years in the Major Leagues with the Angels, Red Sox, and White SoxPhil Still -MSU Sports Hall of Fame 2017SEC champion and standout 3rd baseman "
I have it.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I wish someone with the skills (and lots of folks have photo creation skills now) would do a modern day version of this and sell it to the masses. State has had around a 100 players make MLB now, I would definitely be interested in one with folks like Renfroe, Frazier, Papelbon, Rooker included. - https://www.baseball-reference.com/schools/?key_school=295b5100
I can make one, but would surely run into trademark infringements, NIL contract issues, etc.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login