Story on State's athletic budget

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Good share.

I agree we could fund another sport.

That said, as much as I like soccer, I’m thinking going that route is even less of a good idea after looking at that article again.

I’d go with a women’s sport that didn’t offer quite as many scholarships and would help us out Title IX wise (yeah, we qualify now anyway but why not go with a sport like bowling or beach volleyball now so we don’t have to worry later on?).

Three paragraphs of interest.

The first one here:
But Mississippi State wouldn’t have finished in positive territory if it hadn’t received a helping hand from the conference. The SEC announced in Maythat each school would receive $23 million in supplemental revenue to help offset the loss in revenue due to the pandemic, with ticket sales decreasing and medical expenses rising.

The other two here:

(Note that the advance means that State will receive that much less in the immediate future)

The one-time payment from the SEC was an advance on the conference’s projected revenue from a new television contract set to begin in 2025. Mississippi State reported a revenue of $25,538,787 in conference distributions not stemming from a bowl game — it had reported just $2,782,136 in 2020 and $2,601,385 in 2019.

Without that $23 million, Mississippi State’s total operating revenue would’ve come in at around $90 million, resulting in a loss of $2 million during the fiscal year.

Reactions: Dawgg

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
If we field another sport, there is only one option. A sport where MSU would thrive. A sport that speaks to the hearts and minds of our alumni base. A sport where many SPS users could give legitimate critiques based on years of experience. That sport is Competitive Eating.

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012
If we field another sport, there is only one option. A sport where MSU would thrive. A sport that speaks to the hearts and minds of our alumni base. A sport where many SPS users could give legitimate critiques based on years of experience. That sport is Competitive Eating.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
We really need a competitive home-Econ team. Baking, sewing, bikini car wash competitions. Mix in a few minor nursing challenges and coupon cutting/app loading. This is the forward thinking the world needs from State right now.

• Haha
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
"The women’s team, however, has lost over $3 million in revenue the past two years, slightly down from the $5 million it lost in 2019."

I'd say a $3 million loss in two years is a lot more than a slight change from a $5 million loss in one year.

Reactions: retire the banner

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
The WBB program losing $3-5 million a year is the story here. Not sure why we’re spending so much in women’s basketball

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
This thread got me thinking about another where folks were saying even after the $34.5MM renovation The Hump still won't be as nice as The Pavillion. I also many years ago looked at Blue Blood Athletic budgets and saw where they rarely had surpluses as they always found new ways to spend the money on more nice things. Not understanding the $22.5 Surplus as I think we may shoulda torn down The Hump and started anew.

Reactions: patdog

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Mentioned in a thread a few weeks ago that we could do bowling or beach volleyball. Something that wouldn’t cost a fortune to fund and could lead to natty opportunities.

We’d be going against some very small schools in bowling…

Reactions: Snave

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
This thread got me thinking about another where folks were saying even after the $34.5MM renovation The Hump still won't be as nice as The Pavillion. I also many years ago looked at Blue Blood Athletic budgets and saw where they rarely had surpluses as they always found new ways to spend the money on more nice things. Not understanding the $22.5 Surplus as I think we may shoulda torn down The Hump and started anew.
As soon as the practice facility was built, I think tearing the Hump down was never gonna be an option. I was there not long ago and the seats are still pretty great…. But damn, we need a new Jumbotron. Jerry Jones has spoiled me.

The self service concessions are gonna be awesome…. And the bathroom upgrades were needed probably 30 years ago.

patdog

May 28, 2007
As soon as the practice facility was built, I think tearing the Hump down was never gonna be an option. I was there not long ago and the seats are still pretty great…. But damn, we need a new Jumbotron. Jerry Jones has spoiled me.

The self service concessions are gonna be awesome…. And the bathroom upgrades were needed probably 30 years ago.
So we suck at long range planning. Why am I not surprised?

• Haha
Reactions: eckie1

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Mentioned in a thread a few weeks ago that we could do bowling or beach volleyball. Something that wouldn’t cost a fortune to fund and could lead to natty opportunities.

Yep. McKendree is D2 competing in NCAA bowling — one division which covers all NCAA schools in divisions 1 - 3 (won titles twice most recently last year) — but they’re coached by a PWBA bowler who’s won player of the year three times.

Hmm. The SWAC sponsors Bowling but Vandy is the Southland Bowling League…

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Bowling was Vandy's first national championship and I think they did it within 3 years of founding the team.

NCAA scholarship limits are 5 for Bowling and 6 for Beach Volleyball. Looks like a Bowling roster is 10 people and a Beach Volleyball roster is 15, so I think bowling is the way to go. You could theoretically get 5 good bowlers on scholarship, then have 5 walk-ons and you might be able to field a good team.

Get a provisional membership to the SWAC (cause if we ain't SWAC, who is?) then make Jackson State our rival and prepare to beat Farleigh-Dickinson's аss at the end of the year.

• Love

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Bowling was Vandy's first national championship and I think they did it within 3 years of founding the team.

NCAA scholarship limits are 5 for Bowling and 6 for Beach Volleyball. Looks like a Bowling roster is 10 people and a Beach Volleyball roster is 15, so I think bowling is the way to go. You could theoretically get 5 good bowlers on scholarship, then have 5 walk-ons and you might be able to field a good team.

Get a provisional membership to the SWAC (cause if we ain't SWAC, who is?) then make Jackson State our rival and prepare to beat Farleigh-Dickinson's аss at the end of the year.
Stanford has dominated the Directors Trophy (I think it’s called?) and it’s most definitely not because they are good at ANY of the Big 3 sports. They sweep up the low hanging fruit.

We’ll never have Stanfords budget, but we could make a name for ourselves in some niche sports…. I don’t expect that we’ll ever see WBB be super competitive again. DON Staley has been gifted that niche at **** Carolina for whatever reason. Softball…. I’ve seen some promise, but not sure we’ll ever take the best players in the country. Ladies golf is showing a helluva lot of promise lately, but that’s a HUGE pool of teams.

And, while I could see any of the big 3 mens sports winning it all some time when we seize the day, it’s not something we can count on as a high percentage chance at nattys. Even baseball spreads that around decade to decade and dynasties don’t last at many places.

Start small with the low hanging fruit and pad out trophy cases…

Reactions: Dawgg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Save that money and figure out a way to use it to bring in top talent for the top 3 sports. I just don't see myself talking to my SEC family and friends saying, "but you do realize we just won a Natty in bowling, right? Check mate."

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login