Strange reaction from olemiss

AlSwearengen

Aug 22, 2012
I keep getting celebratory twitter and facebook posts from olemiss sites concerning their national title. Strange thing is, they seem to be bragging about being in last place in the sec on a certain date, getting bounced from the sec tourney immediately, and being the last team in and then going on to win it all.

I’m just a little surprised they, of all people are pointing out and bragging that they sucked 3/4 of the year.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If a few other teams did not brain fart their Regional we would have had another NC.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
You’d think they’ve never won a NC before…oh wait…
(in the big 3 sports)

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
You can also tell ‘em their title is more impressive than ours because last year we were actually a pretty damn good team.
This year, ole miss was a pretty damn bad team!

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
You can also tell ‘em their title is more impressive than ours because last year we were actually a pretty damn good team.
This year, ole miss was a pretty damn bad team!

I actually feel like them winning the NC this year cheapens the accomplishment a bit. The fact that you can be as mediocre as they were for the bulk of the season, barely get in as a regional 3 seed, and then catch fire at the right time to win the NC puts a bit of a negative spin on things to me. As I said in a different thread it would be like an 11 or 12 seed in the NCAA basketball tournament winning it all. Would be a great story yes but it cheapens things and almost seems to make everything about the regular season irrelevant.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
They must spend a lot of money boosting their social media posts, because living in the Memphis area I see them all the time. I'm not sure when the algorithm will quit posting them to my feed because I report everyone of them as offensive material.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's not like that at all. There have been 3 #3 seeds that have won the baseball title. Since the NCAA tournament expanded to 64 teams, there have only been 3 teams lower than a #4 seed (the equivalent to a regional host) that have won the tournament. The baseball tournament is just a lot more random and you also have a lot more really good teams in major conferences that can barely squeeze into the tournament sometimes. Like Mississippi this year.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
It's not like that at all. There have been 3 #3 seeds that have won the baseball title. Since the NCAA tournament expanded to 64 teams, there have only been 3 teams lower than a #4 seed (the equivalent to a regional host) that have won the tournament. The baseball tournament is just a lot more random and you also have a lot more really good teams in major conferences that can barely squeeze into the tournament sometimes. Like Mississippi this year.

Well obviously baseball is more random because it takes a lot more games to figure out who the best team is and I certainly never said a team in OM's position had never won it before. Heck, that is why baseball plays so many games and have 4 out of 7 deciding the championship. None of that changes my thoughts. Still cheapens things to me when a team that scrapes in wins the whole thing but that's going to happen in baseball from time to time when you let 64 teams in the field because it is a game where any team can beat any team in a given series and any team can potentially catch fire at the right time like OM did this year or Fresno State did several years back.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I actually feel like them winning the NC this year cheapens the accomplishment a bit. The fact that you can be as mediocre as they were for the bulk of the season, barely get in as a regional 3 seed, and then catch fire at the right time to win the NC puts a bit of a negative spin on things to me. As I said in a different thread it would be like an 11 or 12 seed in the NCAA basketball tournament winning it all. Would be a great story yes but it cheapens things and almost seems to make everything about the regular season irrelevant.
Ask Tennessee or Arkansas if they feel that it's been cheapened. You can only say **** like that if you've been there already. The more time that goes on, more teams will win the CWS, just reality, somebody has to win it every year. But it's still very difficult.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Ask Tennessee or Arkansas if they feel that it's been cheapened. You can only say **** like that if you've been there already. The more time that goes on, more teams will win the CWS, just reality, somebody has to win it every year. But it's still very difficult.

Who the heck said it wasn't difficult? And OM was the best team in the post-season no doubt. Never said they weren't but it was very debatable if they even should have gotten in.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Well obviously baseball is more random because it takes a lot more games to figure out who the best team is and I certainly never said a team in OM's position had never won it before. Heck, that is why baseball plays so many games and have 4 out of 7 deciding the championship. None of that changes my thoughts. Still cheapens things to me when a team that scrapes in wins the whole thing but that's going to happen in baseball from time to time when you let 64 teams in the field because it is a game where any team can beat any team in a given series and any team can potentially catch fire at the right time like OM did this year or Fresno State did several years back.
OM, while very similar to Fresno, was a known commodity at the beginning of the season. Fresno probably was too, but because they are Fresno, they got no preseason notoriety.

I think it's pretty obvious that the SEC beat itself up all year, except for Tennessee (who just flat out choked).

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Who the heck said it wasn't difficult? And OM was the best team in the post-season no doubt. Never said they weren't but it was very debatable if they even should have gotten in.

Its not that debatable. On selection day they had a Top 40 RPI and were just under .500 in SEC play, and were 12 games over .500 overall. Those teams have historically always gotten in. We even made it in 1998 under the old 48-team format with a 14-15 SEC record, and made it to Omaha. Alabama was their only real competition for a bid, and they faded down the stretch (#51 RPI, 12-17 SEC).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login