Sunday Coffee - Offensive Coordinatior Kevin Barbay

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
RPO. Will utilize the best 11 regardless of personnel until he can recruit his type players. Run/pass will be dictated to what the defense gives you. If WIll is QB1, I'm guessing it will be more conventional style than RPO, but will eventually move to RPO plays.

Not counting bowl games, this will be the first time in a long time that we have had an OC not the head coach/playcaller. I like that.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
RPO. Will utilize the best 11 regardless of personnel until he can recruit his type players. Run/pass will be dictated to what the defense gives you. If WIll is QB1, I'm guessing it will be more conventional style than RPO, but will eventually move to RPO plays.

Not counting bowl games, this will be the first time in a long time that we have had an OC not the head coach/playcaller. I like that.
I was depressed to learn that our last true OC was Woody McCorvey.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

You left out Houston Oilers fan. Likely why he is uniquely qualified to put up with any angst that MSU football brings on. I did like him resurfacing the old Bum Phillips quote when Bum was asked about Earl Campbell not completing the pre-season 1 mile run: "I won't run him on 3rd and a mile."

Reactions: HRMSU

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
A conversation with new offensive coordinator Kevin Barbay. A look at his background, his philosophy, and his first week in Starkville.

More...
This was a great listen. I like what I'm hearing. He is saying the right things. I'm interested to see it translated on the field. I like the multiple blended offense approach. Not being married to one specific offense and fitting offense to personnel

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yep. It's worth a shot, and I'm intrigued by it.

Most defensive head coaches generally work best at blue bloods. But there are numerous ways to skin this cat. State's best teams are generally predicated on defense, so I'd like to see a coach continually keep that unit strong. Beyond that, it's all about just having an innovative plan for offense that jives with the defense.

In that same vein, I was also intrigued by whether a high-flying passing offense (Air Raid) could also work at State. In my opinion, it didn't just super succeed (we will never know what could have been), but it also didn't fail. We went 8-4 and looked to be trending up, so that tells me we don't just need to abandon it and go back to a run-based system....yet.

A few years ago, during the Slophead tenure, it go so frustrating I was ready to jump on the triple option bandwagon. Amazing what a real coach can do.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login