T-ball Inventor

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I was reading an article the other day that claimed that T-ball was invented in 1961 in Starkville by Dr. Clyde Muse, former Hinds CC President and a professor at MSU named Littlejohn. After doing a search it appears others are claiming to also have invented t-ball in the 50's, one being in Michigan.

Does anyone know Dr. Muse or Professor Littlejohn personally and know more of the story on this. It would be pretty cool if it was a correct story but after seeing other claims, I have my doubts.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
If you check out the Wikipedia page for tball you will see there are several claims to have been the first. Other cities have better claims than Starkville from what I remember

Edit to add link
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tee-ball

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I knew Dr. Muse and his family when they lived here in Meridian years ago. Did not remember him to be the inventor of T-ball, but that would be cool if he did. They were top notch folks. Sadly, his wife died in a car wreck a few years ago on 49 between Jxn and Hatty. His son was a Kappa Sig at State, if I remember correctly.

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
While I’m sure he was a nice dude, 17 em at the moment.

My 6 year old just made All Stars for our city league and we got 2 hour one way tournaments to attend this summer now. 6U tee ball.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Even sadder, if I remember correctly he was driving the car when they had the wreck

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
I played many T-Ball games at Starkville's Moncrief Park in the mid 60s. I never thought of myself as a T-Ball pioneer. If I had stuck with it may have made the pros**

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Did not know they had t ball all stars. In Starkville they don’t keep score (or even call anyone out)- do they at the tournaments?

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
Did not know they had t ball all stars. In Starkville they don’t keep score (or even call anyone out)- do they at the tournaments?

Our league down here on the coast keeps score, stats, calls strikeouts, and even crowns a champion.

Then all the coaches vote for who they want for a 13 man all star roster and the champion head coach gets the option to coach the team.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login