T&L Extra: Charlie Winfield Updates the Latest on The Bulldog Initiative

HD6

Apr 8, 2003

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
NIL continues to dominate the landscape of college sports, and Mississippi State’s collective has grown tremendously in the past year. Brian Hadad speaks with the chairman of the Bulldog Initiative, Charlie Winfield, to get the latest on where the collective stands, and how his relationship with the university has changed under the leadership of Zac Selmon.

The post T&L Extra: Charlie Winfield Updates the Latest on The Bulldog Initiative appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...
As always, I love these T&L Extras, and anything involving Charlie is always a great listen. It's just always nice hearing from someone that's got MSU in his veins and that has the passion to actually do something to make MSU better

With that said, did anyone else cringe a little when Charlie was asked the question about how the process works for connecting the BI to actual players? Similar to what(I think) Hadad was expecting, I fully expected the answer to be something along the lines of... we're connecting with the coaches and MSU admin on a weekly basis, there's a short list of priorities/needs, blah blah blah. What we got, however, is that Charlie himself is having to reach out to players on his time in order to gauge need?

I guess I bring all this up to say... why do I feel like the MSU leaders that should be leading this NIL charge are still not engaged like they should be?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
As always, I love these T&L Extras, and anything involving Charlie is always a great listen. It's just always nice hearing from someone that's got MSU in his veins and that has the passion to actually do something to make MSU better

With that said, did anyone else cringe a little when Charlie was asked the question about how the process works for connecting the BI to actual players? Similar to what(I think) Hadad was expecting, I fully expected the answer to be something along the lines of... we're connecting with the coaches and MSU admin on a weekly basis, there's a short list of priorities/needs, blah blah blah. What we got, however, is that Charlie himself is having to reach out to players on his time in order to gauge need?

I guess I bring all this up to say... why do I feel like the MSU leaders that should be leading this NIL charge are still not engaged like they should be?
Trust me I am not trying to argue. I am asking a question using your post. Isn't the NCAA rules applying to coaches and the school different from the NIL rules. The Court ruled that the NCAA could not prohibit players from making money from their NIL's but did they change the rules for coaches making offers?

Reactions: Seinfeld

patdog

May 28, 2007

I'm guessing (hoping) Charlie is publicly saying what he needs to say to keep the NCAA off our a**. I'm sure coaches at other schools have ways of getting the message to their NIL what money needs to go where without directly telling the person running the NIL and I hope ours are too.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login