T&L - Hadad and Robbie... Let me help you a little here

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I came in total peace and am not trying to throw some shade at you, but there's a piece of Missouri that is 100% the South.

The southeastern corner of Missouri is every bit as southern as just about anywhere you can find in Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, and Arkansas. You can draw a line from Poplar Bluff to Cape Girardeau along Crowley's Ridge and everything southeast of that line is the South. Dexter, Sikeston, New Madrid... all the south. Much like there are pockets of the South in Florida... this is the south in Missouri. While that does leave like 85% of the state in the north, it is 100% the "south" in this part. A ton of people from this region end up at schools like State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and the likes. This part of Missouri is significantly more Southern than anywhere in Kentucky, as well. But maybe that's because I consider Kentucky a very different kind of south that is probably best labeled as Hillbilly.

In fact, if you go into a gas station in Sikeston and then again in Cape Girardeau while driving north on I-55, you are likely to hear the accent change. I've had several friends from Cape who speak with a northern accent.

There is a question in the mailbag today that talks about this.

For the record, I think the south encompasses Kentucky, Southeast Missouri, Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, and northern Florida. Louisiana is its own foreign entity. Texas is it's own thing, as well (while very southern, it's also very different than a state like Mississippi). You can break this group down further too: SEMO, Tennesse from Memphis to Nashville, Mississippi, and Alabama are all one kind of south. Arkansas is a different kind of south. Kentucky is a Hillbilly south. GA, SC, and Northern Florida are also a different kind of South.

Beat Arizona.

Attachments

• SPS.png
    SPS.png
    445.7 KB · Views: 18

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I can 100% confirm the accuracy of this post. Bootheel is southern. Major row crop and rice production a/k/a delta-ish.

Reactions: MSUDC11-2.0

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I came in total peace and am not trying to throw some shade at you, but there's a piece of Missouri that is 100% the South.

The southeastern corner of Missouri is every bit as southern as just about anywhere you can find in Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, and Arkansas. You can draw a line from Poplar Bluff to Cape Girardeau along Crowley's Ridge and everything southeast of that line is the South. Dexter, Sikeston, New Madrid... all the south. Much like there are pockets of the South in Florida... this is the south in Missouri. While that does leave like 85% of the state in the north, it is 100% the "south" in this part. A ton of people from this region end up at schools like State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and the likes. This part of Missouri is significantly more Southern than anywhere in Kentucky, as well. But maybe that's because I consider Kentucky a very different kind of south that is probably best labeled as Hillbilly.

In fact, if you go into a gas station in Sikeston and then again in Cape Girardeau while driving north on I-55, you are likely to hear the accent change. I've had several friends from Cape who speak with a northern accent.

For the record, I think the south encompasses Kentucky, Southeast Missouri, Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, and northern Florida. Louisiana is its own foreign entity. Texas is it's own thing, as well (while very southern, it's also very different than a state like Mississippi). You can break this group down further too: SEMO, Tennesse from Memphis to Nashville, Mississippi, and Alabama are all one kind of south. Arkansas is a different kind of south. Kentucky is a Hillbilly south. GA, SC, and Northern Florida are also a different kind of South.

Beat Arizona.
I agree. I come from Ste. Genevieve, MO myself and that is correct. The accent doesn't start to kick in until you get to Cape.

Reactions: missouridawg

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I can 100% confirm the accuracy of this post. Bootheel is southern. Major row crop and rice production a/k/a delta-ish.
Exactly. It is the Mississippi Delta type of place in the kind of culture, but less overall minorities.
Not being racist, just stating a demographic difference.

Reactions: paindonthurt

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008

Beat Arizona.
Knew a couple of guys from Charleston and they were as southern as anyone I know.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It may be the South, probably is. But we don't throw rolls at people in Mississippi unless we're starting something.

And a lot of Louisiana north of BR is the South more than it is Louisiana.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
We know some great Bulldogs from the boot heel area. Southern farming folks. Good people that went to State. Don’t know many from other parts of the State but the ones I do know are nice and seem to love the same outdoor activities that we do. I have no problem with Missouri but still don’t think they were a good fit for the SEC.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022

Beat Arizona.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
We know some great Bulldogs from the boot heel area. Southern farming folks. Good people that went to State. Don’t know many from other parts of the State but the ones I do know are nice and seem to love the same outdoor activities that we do. I have no problem with Missouri but still don’t think they were a good fit for the SEC.

I've always been fine with Mizzou in the SEC. A major university with some athletic tradition who we can consistently compete with. What not to like?

Reactions: AFDawg

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
My mother grew up on a farm that her dad ran, who passed it down to her brother who stills runs it. Corn, cotton, soybeans, etc... My grandmother only knew the word "warsh" and not wash. It is very, very, very delta-ish in that low lying ground southeast of Crowley's Ridge.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009

This is super close to how I would have it, but here are a few changes I'd implement:
1) The Deep South needs to encompass the Bootheel of Missouri, as well as all of MS.
2) Greater Appalachia needs to not encroach so far west in TN. It also needs to not be in Texas.
3) I agree with Greater Appalachia south of STL and into Arkansas.
4) Texas needs it's own thing and it definitely still needs to be divided into 3 regions.
5) Louisiana is perfect.

Fun map to think about though.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is super close to how I would have it, but here are a few changes I'd implement:
1) The Deep South needs to encompass the Bootheel of Missouri, as well as all of MS.
2) Greater Appalachia needs to not encroach so far west in TN. It also needs to not be in Texas.
3) I agree with Greater Appalachia south of STL and into Arkansas.
4) Texas needs it's own thing and it definitely still needs to be divided into 3 regions.
5) Louisiana is perfect.

Fun map to think about though.
Yeah there's a little give and take on it. Plus, this map was pre-COVID, and there's been some shifting since then, especially in Texas.

If you're into that sort of thing, you can check out the Mega Regions, though they are a little dated too. Think all these were from around 2010.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Beat Arizona.
That's true. Often times when you are south of 10 it's really not the south either. It's the coast. A different culture. Same as parts of North Carolina and Virginia which were/are considered southern but any many ways culturally they are not. Bigger cities also have an affect on that as well with the influx of people from all over. New Orleans wnd Atlanta are not as culturally southern as small towns like noxapater. University towns also differ due to the influx of students and staff and faculty that are from all over do you have a different culture. When it comes to sports southern unviversities still have that southern connection and feel culturally because the fans and alumni that are mostly still southern. Mizzou the school doesn't have that same culture that auburn msu TAMU ole miss bama or Tennessee do. The university has more of a Midwest culture and attitude that would fit better with Michigan Indiana iowa and Wisconsin

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I had a LA employee once correct me and tell me that anything north of I-10 was "not Louisiana". He was a Broussard from Lafayette.
That is true. Culturally there is greater New Orleans area. North Louisiana. south west Louisiana around 10 and south and west of Baton Rouge. and Baton Rouge. All four of those areas are different culturally.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The bootheel of Missouri is 100% southern culture. Even parts of the very southern tip of illinois are pretty southern too.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That is true. Culturally there is greater New Orleans area. North Louisiana. south west Louisiana around 10 and south and west of Baton Rouge. and Baton Rouge. All four of those areas are different culturally.
You can get pretty technical when you get into sub-cultures.

I think I personally identify with Greater Appalachia. We can choose nowadays right?

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
That part of the podcast had me so worked up. If you want to say Missouri is not the south because of location then fine. But then you can’t justify Kentucky because of how redneck they are. If you are basing a state of how red neck they are, Missouri has to be up there. They are one of the most redneck states out there. Plus Bass Pro shops was founded there. That should count for something

Reactions: She Mate Me

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
You're incorrect regarding Kentucky. Have lived here 22 yrs, there are towns as SOUTHERN as anything in Mississippi (my home state).
You are correct re Missouri though.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I agree. I come from Ste. Genevieve, MO myself and that is correct. The accent doesn't start to kick in until you get to Cape.
I have a good friend who is originally from Ste Genevieve. Still has a lot of family there. I’ve been up there many times, nothing like Oberle dog and garlic cheese.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015

Beat Arizona.
I don't get the reach of New Appalachia that far west on this map.
ETA After further research, I see the correlation.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I don't know who took the time to make this map, but it's pretty dang spot on for all the places I have lived or spent significant time.

1000011244.jpg

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
The true south can be found where the Indians built mounds. Nothing more, nothing less. Take out the imaginary lines and look at all of the mounds. There you will find the true south.

A compass doesn’t define a culture. All of these areas have similar ideologies, or at least once did…..and if that’s defined by agriculture practices, religion, language or trade practices, then so be it. But everything encompassed within the Ancient Mississippi Mound culture….defines the qualities and attributes of what we deem “southern culture” today

1694027936477.jpeg

Last edited:

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
You're incorrect regarding Kentucky. Have lived here 22 yrs, there are towns as SOUTHERN as anything in Mississippi (my home state).
You are correct re Missouri though.
After living in KY for a short time anything 10 miles north of I64 and Louisville should not be considered southern.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I've always been fine with Mizzou in the SEC. A major university with some athletic tradition who we can consistently compete with. What not to like?
They just don’t seem like a very passionate fan base to me. Their interest reminds me of most Big 10 schools. I used to travel a lot for work and always tried to strike up College sports conversations with customers and others. Especially during football season. Other than possibly being interested while a game is actually on, most people just don’t seem to care one way or the other. I worked for a company headquartered about 50 mlles north of Madison, WI. For a few years. I occasionally spent most of a week there when Wisconsin had a home game that coming Saturday and you could spend the whole week there and never see a Badger sweatshirt, much less a flag on a car. Most had no idea who they were playing or where. They just did not give a rip. Also, very few knew the difference in State and ole missy. They do like the Packers big time though. I kind of get that same vibe with Missouri. In a weird sort of way, I don’t think they deserve to be part of the SEC.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
You can get pretty technical when you get into sub-cultures.

I think I personally identify with Greater Appalachia. We can choose nowadays right?
Yeah I like technical and culture aspect took several cultural and regional geography classes. One paper one of the professors wrote at state was about Dixie and where that term is used. Found all kinds of cultural Dixie stuff throughout US.

Last edited:

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Yeah I like technical sun culture aspect took several cultural and regional geography classes. One paper one of the professors wrote at state was about Dixie and where they term is. Found all kinds of cultural Dixie stuff throughout US.
Dr Mack. He was my advisor. Something happened to him after I graduated…never got the full story but he was let go.

Interesting dude to say the least. He was master of Central American cultures, think he spent every summer in Honduras

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Regarding Texas, I would agree most of Texas is "its own thing", but if you talk to somebody from East Texas (Tyler, Longview, Texarkana), you wouldn't know the difference between them and somebody from North Mississippi.

Oklahoma is weird too because in some ways, it's very much a Midwestern state (amateur wrestling, temperate climate, wheat fields, flatlands), but the accents in the more rural parts are very close to a Southern accent and the lifestyle and problems are very similar to rural Appalachia/Deep South. It also has elements of being 'Texas lite' with cattle and oil.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
The bootheel of Missouri is 100% southern culture. Even parts of the very southern tip of illinois are pretty southern too.
Southern Indiana and Illinois are definitely part of appalachia . Regions across Ohio river. Totally different culture than the rest of the state. settled by people from the Carolinas.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login