Talkin about opening a can of worms

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Maybe we shouldn’t punish people until they’re proven guilty, like even assume they are innocent. Just a thought.
I've always been a glass half full/half empty kind of person.This example is a 2 way street that's always bothered me just a little. By assuming the accused is innocent until proven guilty, we by default label the accuser a liar until the accused is proven guilty. Just a thought.......

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I've always been a glass half full/half empty kind of person.This example is a 2 way street that's always bothered me just a little. By assuming the accused is innocent until proven guilty, we by default label the accuser a liar until the accused is proven guilty. Just a thought.......

No. Not at all. We are just waiting for a neutral trier of fact (the jury) to determine whether he or she is guilty. We don’t assume in a civil suit that the plaintiff is lying or that the defendant is liable for the damages…we wait till the trial or settlement.

Reactions: Msdeltareb

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Jane you ignorant slut. Demanding evidence from someone levying a serious accusation is not the same as calling them liar.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
This is similar to bama and their getaway driver bit recently, yes? Basketball isn't a right, no one else on the team needs the distraction of playing with an accused rapist.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
He raped me thirty something years ago but I can't remember exactly when or where but I know the trauma has been devastating. Nah...you don't need proof

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Just circling the drain...

I knew when the US district judge ruled the ncaa transfer rules violate anti trust laws, it would open Pandora's box to many other law suits on anything and everything the athlete didn't agree with.

The courts have basically said the ncaa can't enforce its own rules. The ncaa is castrated now.

I look forward to the future when all these transfers aRe ineligible by the ncaa and can't get in schools because of failing grades. Some athlete will come with 0 credit hours and 4 Fs and still sue the ncaa and schools for not letting them in school. Sit back and watch.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
A 5th year senior with any value, would have moved to the next level.
I'd do it until the judge blew a gasket.
The article says he's a draft prospect, was scoring 20pts a game. Pretty sure he can establish that he would be playing absent a change in treatment due to the arrest. But maybe that doesn't fall under protected activity and the judge ruled only on his status as a student.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I have never liked the rush to judgement (and basically, the cancelling) of folks as soon as they are accused of doing anything. We go totally overboard and try to ruin their lives. Maybe they deserve it, I don't know the answer. I figure it's up to Illinois to look at the facts of the case, or choose to be overly woke and go overboard, like it appears they did.

Remember the Famous Jameis stuff? He didn't get kicked off the team and out of school. Same kind of case.

Blldawg87

May 24, 2013
Trevor Bauer says hi...he is a great example of why it needs to go to court and have a ruling before you take someone job, etc on hearsay.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
The legal fiction that boggles my mind is a finding of civil liability, when the alleged conduct is also criminal in nature. The examples that come to mind are Johnny Depp and Donald Trump. So if someone isn’t even charged criminally but a civil fact finder says that you (probably) did it, you’re never allowed to refute the claims again, lest you risk another defamation suit? That’s madness.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I always thought "innocent until proven quilty" is a misnomer anyway.

Evidence is gathered. Evidence is formally presented to a judge or grand jury. An arrest warrant is issued based the evidence. You're arrested and go to jail (or make bail) until the case is adjudicated. Really your quilty until a trail is conducted or law enforcement or the court drops the case. Or plead quilty.

By the way, here is a summary of what was in the affidavit for arrest of this guy....

affidavit released in January from the Seventh Judicial District in Kansas outlines the police investigation that lead the Douglas County Attorney’s Office to charge Shannon with rape. The report alleges that law enforcement first learned a possible sex crime had taken place at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 9.

The crime allegedly happened earlier in the day on Sept. 9 at the Jayhawk Café’s Martini Room. Testimony from the alleged victim indicates a crowd of people were in the room when the allegedly crime occurred.

The victim told police she was groped and raped by a man she later identified as Shannon in a interview with law enforcement. She reported the entire incident lasted only around a minute before she left and made a report at a local hospital.

Court documents state law enforcement corroborated the victim’s story with other witnesses, cell phone records and a surveillance video from inside the café.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login