TD Ameritrade - Gone but not forgotten

bomanishus

Mar 17, 2009
When Schwab bought TDA and migrated everything over to their platform, they completely left all the good features of TDA behind.

I get why companies buy other companies but, for heaven's sake, the TDA site was light years ahead of Schwab and they've scrapped it.

Switched over to J. P. Morgan, thinking it would be better ... but no.

Has ANYBODY found a trading platform that is half-way user friendly and commisionless?

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
When Schwab bought TDA and migrated everything over to their platform, they completely left all the good features of TDA behind.

I get why companies buy other companies but, for heaven's sake, the TDA site was light years ahead of Schwab and they've scrapped it.

Has ANYBODY found a trading platform that is half-way user friendly and commisionless?
I do not have an answer to your question, but just wanted to echo your statement that the old TDA site was much better than Schwab's platform.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023

Are you using Think or Swim or their online platform? Agree their commissions are terrible, especially options.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You thought TDA site was better than Schwab's? I had the completely opposite experience. Probably just what we were used to since I've had a Schwab account for years and only started using TDA after my dad died helping mom with her accounts. But I think she likes the Schwab site better too.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

Fidelity is easy. If you are trading futures, RJO.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I imagine it has something to do with what you learned on. Somebody mentioned think or swim from Schwab, I'd figured that came from TDA. I just buy index funds so I don't need it but it does seem to allow a lot more flexibility. I'd thought Schwab just passed through commissions and otherwise didn't charge anything for trading, apparently I was wrong. I inherited a Merrill Lynch account and the website was brutally bad, felt like something from 1995.

Ddog

May 24, 2023
The TDA site was so much better than Schwab. I am very disappointed and will transfer to something else…probably Fidelity when I figure out how to transfer everything without having to sell out and start over.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Not really sure what features the OP wants, but I use Fidelity and have yet to be frustrated something is missing.
If something is missing, I dont even realize its missing, so I am blissfully ignorant.

I can easily buy stuff and sell stuff with Fidelity. Fidelity easily shows me all my bad decisions and I can easily see what I should have invested in, when I want a proverbial groin kick.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The TDA site was so much better than Schwab. I am very disappointed and will transfer to something else…probably Fidelity when I figure out how to transfer everything without having to sell out and start over.
Create and account on fidelity, go to their tab for transferring accounts, tell them what brokerage and account number you want to transfer from and they handle it. You don’t have to sell out in one and rebuy in another. Takes about 2 days to complete the transfer. The only hiccup could be if you own some obscure penny stocks that fidelity won’t touch.

Reactions: Ddog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login