Television Quality

AFDawg

Apr 28, 2010
I talked to a guy whose production company does a lot of games at Ole Miss. He's an absolute pro. I asked him what the deal was with our Arkansas broadcast. He said that the SEC got cheap during covid and radically cut the number of production crews they had a relationship with. It was something like 35 to 3. Since then, they've been contracting with smaller outfits--"packagers," I think--who don't have the same skillsets or equipment.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I talked to a guy whose production company does a lot of games at Ole Miss. He's an absolute pro. I asked him what the deal was with our Arkansas broadcast. He said that the SEC got cheap during covid and radically cut the number of production crews they had a relationship with. It was something like 35 to 3. Since then, they've been contracting with smaller outfits--"packagers," I think--who don't have the same skillsets or equipment.
I was intrigued with the meandering camera shots of non-action wandering here and there haplessly.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I was intrigued with the meandering camera shots of non-action wandering here and there haplessly.
That would make sense if we consistently saw that level of broadcasts But we don’t. And if it’s that big of a deal get the campus production crews involved. The soccer broadcasts aren’t as bad as that Ark game was.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Looks like it was filmed 25 years ago

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I think it may have been something local to Mississippi. The video quality I had, the SEC Network through Dish, was just like any other. I wasn't crazy about some of the shots they took or the announcers (Deuce was OK in general, but the main guy wasn't great).

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think it may have been something local to Mississippi. The video quality I had, the SEC Network through Dish, was just like any other. I wasn't crazy about some of the shots they took or the announcers (Deuce was OK in general, but the main guy wasn't great).
Nope it looked terrible on Directv.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Question about streaming. I'm new to it. Just subscribed to YouTube TV. The last couple of weeks while watching games the audio gets behind the video. I haven't noticed this on anything other than football games. I can pause it, rewind fifteen seconds, fast forward back to live , and the video and audio will be synced but over about fifteen minutes it gets back out of sync. It's happened both the last two Saturdays but I haven't noticed it throughout the week. Is this something common with streaming. I still haven't cut DIRECTV off yet.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Question about streaming. I'm new to it. Just subscribed to YouTube TV. The last couple of weeks while watching games the audio gets behind the video. I haven't noticed this on anything other than football games. I can pause it, rewind fifteen seconds, fast forward back to live , and the video and audio will be synced but over about fifteen minutes it gets back out of sync. It's happened both the last two Saturdays but I haven't noticed it throughout the week. Is this something common with streaming. I still haven't cut DIRECTV off yet.
I have Hulu. Last weekend I noticed it, but I think it was more an issue with the ****** production.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I believe it starts with the quality of the equipment used, the bandwidth available, and the guys running the equipment. The university needs to demand that our games need to reach the 4K resolution 60fps threshold. I want it to look good when we yank a missed xp dammit.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I noticed that too. When the gal interviewed Leach going into halftime it looked like the voice was off a good bit compared to his lips, but it was probably just a second or so. It doesn't take much. Irritating nevertheless. That happens a lot with digital television, like in golf - you can hear the guy swing the club, then see it a split second later - exactly the opposite that you would expect since sound travels slower than light (but the mic is so close to the player that it's a technical issue, not a real life thing).

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Fox sports is broadcasting in 4K on YoutubeTV and it looks amazing.

Some games are on Dish as well, Channel 540. Today they have Michigan/Penn State in 4K, and also the Braves/Phillies. I think
Fox is the only one that uses 4K, and when they show clips from other games they're also ultra-HD. I don't think anybody actually broadcasts 4K yet though, just streaming and that's fairly rare.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login