Tell me how this is a legal formation?

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
How can the center be that far in front of the rest of the linemen. The receiver is closer to the line

PXL_20230130_025015025~2.jpg

kired

Aug 22, 2008
It’s gotten more & more common this year. I’ve thought it’s bogus but never seen anything mentioned by media

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Just one of the many things they overlook on both teams when we get this far. It just usually pisses me off when they decide to call a penalty... or a play.

I'm still trying to figure out why Kansas City gotta do over on third down.

They were clearly stopped short on third down.
Just about to punt on 4th down.
Stopped the play to adjust the clock
Then stopped again to let KC run 3rd down again.

I think I've seen some crazy ****, but I think that takes the cake.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
How can the center be that far in front of the rest of the linemen. The receiver is closer to the line

View attachment 304415

Not sure, but the LDE for the Chiefs is also obviously lined up in the neutral zone, too. So maybe its that both of those penalties have become like traveling in the NBA. Could be that officials not calling one led to teams adjusting by doing more of the other on passing downs.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
17 the bengals
They hate goats too.
lick goats GIF

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not sure, but the LDE for the Chiefs is also obviously lined up in the neutral zone, too. So maybe its that both of those penalties have become like traveling in the NBA. Could be that officials not calling one led to teams adjusting by doing more of the other on passing downs.
There were numerous plays for both team where the OT started into his drop a split second before the ball was snapped. And the 40 second clock is effectively a 42 second clock since they never call delay until at least a second after the play clock hits 00.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Watch the Center. They always move the ball forwards or backwards before the snap. The Ref's are giving a benefit of doubt.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I see both teams doing it. But if that receiver was back with the other lineman, it gets called.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I don't know what the exact rule is, but if I'm officiating I would go with everyone's feet have to be in line with the center's feet (at least one of their feet anyway). On this view, the outside receivers are good, but none of the offensive linemen are. Only 3 guys on LOS.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Did you see the replay where the back judge was clearly trying to stop the original 3rd down play before the snap? It was an unfortunate series of events, but it was ultimately the right call. The 3rd down play was delayed while they adjusted the clock. The BJ saw the game clock had started running before the snap, and it shouldn't have. (Or maybe vice-versa). Anyway, he was clearly blowing his whistle and waving for the play to stop before the snap....so the play didn't count.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
This is an abused rule in the NFL, but illegal formations are considered a judgment call, and often are not flagged unless the offending player gained a clear advantage.

The OLs do not have to be up on the ball, but they do need to be within a yard of the line of scrimmage. Also, I think the NFL requires their helmets to at least be even with the center's belt line, which the tackles clearly violated in that pic.

However, the NFL also wants the line judges to work with the linemen and receivers to get them in the right position. If the refs see the tackles getting too far back, they should speak with then and tell them to tighten it up. If the refs had been letting those formations go all game, they shouldn't just suddenly throw a flag.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Why are NBA players allowed to carry the ball and walk all they want? It is more about the entertainment than enforcing rules.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Did you see the replay where the back judge was clearly trying to stop the original 3rd down play before the snap? It was an unfortunate series of events, but it was ultimately the right call. The 3rd down play was delayed while they adjusted the clock. The BJ saw the game clock had started running before the snap, and it shouldn't have. (Or maybe vice-versa). Anyway, he was clearly blowing his whistle and waving for the play to stop before the snap....so the play didn't count.
They did a terrible job explaining that. Waiting until they were about to punt on 4th down is not the time to tell everyone, "Sorry! We gotta go back now." I didn't hear that and I don 't think I was the only one from the the reactions I saw and heard.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
They did a terrible job explaining that. Waiting until they were about to punt on 4th down is not the time to tell everyone, "Sorry! We gotta go back now." I didn't hear that and I don 't think I was the only one from the the reactions I saw and heard.
It took a play or two for CBS to show a replay of the BJ. It was confusing, but the BJ had to wait for the action to stop and then run up and have a conference with the Referee.

DirtyDog

Aug 24, 2012

View attachment 304415
The rule is that the guards and tackles must break the plane of the center's hip; however, it is rarely called even in high school. In addition, officials are taught not to call it later in the game if you haven't corrected it early on. Officials are taught to warn the team early in the game, and then call it if they don't make the adjustment. If a team has been lining up correctly most of the game, they are not going to call an isolated event.

Also, the neutral zone infraction by the DE will be rarely called if it is just his head in the zone. It is not considered aggregious, but this could probably have been called. Given that the guidance to the officials is to try not to influence the game, then ticky tack penalties are likely not to be called. They have a saying, "Make it big" which means only call throw flags when it is obvious or a "hurting foul" that might hurt a player.

I also noticed that the tackles seem to get a quick first backstep on several plays that wasn't called. I didn't go back and review the plays, but I do believe there were several fall-starts not called that could have been.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm not screaming conspiracy, they're just making a lot of mistakes. They did not take charge of the ball game especially in the first conference championship games and game ended up looking really sloppy and chippy. They flagged San Francisco 11 times, but only threw the flag on Kansas City four times. They were guilty of at least half of them, but some of them were ridiculous that could've went on either team or just not called all together. The SF defensive lineman pushing on the face mask of the Philly OL because he was trying to get out of an obvious bearhug is a good example.

I honestly think the biggest reason why referees are having such a difficult time is because of replay. Replay fixed a lot of things, but it opened up a whole new can of worms. They're second guessing themselves a lot of times because they are afraid that reply will make them look bad. They let plays continue that probably they ordinarily wouldn't because of their hesitation to blow the whistle.

Someone is probably going to eventually get hurt with these slow whistles. You end up having situations like we did late in the SF/Philly game yesterday where they lost control of the game. They were letting a play continue and not blowing the whistle until frustration from previous calls boil over and players start shoving each other on the ground. It didn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things, but it really made a championship game at times look more like Monday Night Raw. Some of the shows and choreographed routines players are putting after making any play really does remind me of wrestler strutting their stuff around the ring.

ric flair wwe GIF

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
There were numerous plays for both team where the OT started into his drop a split second before the ball was snapped. And the 40 second clock is effectively a 42 second clock since they never call delay until at least a second after the play clock hits 00.
Also, I've noticed players in motion moving forward before the ball is snapped many times this season, no calls.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
The rule is the players on the LOS must at least be on the center’s hips but in reality they are instructed to make sure everyone is in line with the center’s belt on his back. If you’re over his belt, you’re on the LOS

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Just one of the many things they overlook on both teams when we get this far. It just usually pisses me off when they decide to call a penalty... or a play.

That's easy. The ref was running in blowing his whistle before the play was started. You didn't see it doesn't mean it's not so. The play never happened. It was the right call.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
I think the officials give the offensive line the benefit of the doubt. So long as the linemen are close enough to each other, the line goes neatly back, and there's no confusion over who the eligible receivers are, they don't flag this. Like I can look at this picture and point out who the eligible receivers and backfield players are. However, if the tackle was actually a tight end they might flag it.

They should set the rule that offensive linemen and the two eligible receivers on the outside must have some part of their body touching the ground within a yard of the line of scrimmage, much like the rule that backfield players must be at least one yard behind the line.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

View attachment 304415
There are 7 guys on the line of scrimmage and 4 off.

The guy all the way to the bottom is clearly behind the next close receiver by a yard or close to a yard.

The line has always had some type of bow to it like they are showing in this pic. This is obviously a little more exaggerated.

D4L

Aug 2, 2021
Contrary to popular belief on this board, by rule, this is a legal formation. If you are breaking the waist of the person next to you, and they are on the line, you are on the LOS. They have 4 in the backfield, and 7 on the line.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
This is an abused rule in the NFL, but illegal formations are considered a judgment call, and often are not flagged unless the offending player gained a clear advantage.

The OLs do not have to be up on the ball, but they do need to be within a yard of the line of scrimmage. Also, I think the NFL requires their helmets to at least be even with the center's belt line, which the tackles clearly violated in that pic.

However, the NFL also wants the line judges to work with the linemen and receivers to get them in the right position. If the refs see the tackles getting too far back, they should speak with then and tell them to tighten it up. If the refs had been letting those formations go all game, they shouldn't just suddenly throw a flag.

This is the content I'm here for...

And the tig ole bitties from IMPP.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Concerning the do over third down. To those complaining, you believe if the Chiefs made the first down it would have stood?

No it would have been replayed also. Then the Chief fans would be mental.

Let's not forget that it was another stupid play by a Bengal defensive player that got the Chiefs the first down. Otherwise the Chiefs lost 8 yards on the do over.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The rule is that the guards and tackles must break the plane of the center's hip; however, it is rarely called even in high school. In addition, officials are taught not to call it later in the game if you haven't corrected it early on. Officials are taught to warn the team early in the game, and then call it if they don't make the adjustment. If a team has been lining up correctly most of the game, they are not going to call an isolated event.

Also, the neutral zone infraction by the DE will be rarely called if it is just his head in the zone. It is not considered aggregious, but this could probably have been called. Given that the guidance to the officials is to try not to influence the game, then ticky tack penalties are likely not to be called. They have a saying, "Make it big" which means only call throw flags when it is obvious or a "hurting foul" that might hurt a player.

I also noticed that the tackles seem to get a quick first backstep on several plays that wasn't called. I didn't go back and review the plays, but I do believe there were several fall-starts not called that could have been.
If you're going to let the OTs line up more than a yard behind the LOS, hard to call the DE for having a head in the neutral zone.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022

It looked like the kind of thing SEC officials do for Alabama.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login