Tell me. Why do we keep hiring unproven coaches?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I had high hopes for Lebby even though his wasn't my first choice. But the the lack of recruiting the positions where it matters and coaches on defense is a huge red flag. We are stuck either way but dammit we just can't quit making these vital mistakes in our athletic department. So void of talent. And we apparently aren't coaching blocking for running the ball nor how to tackle.

Reactions: patdog

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Someone needs to load a phone with illicit text messages and leave it on lebby's desk so we can get a free fire.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I had high hopes for Lebby even though his wasn't my first choice. But the the lack of recruiting the positions where it matters and coaches on defense is a huge red flag. We are stuck either way but dammit we just can't quit making these vital mistakes in our athletic department. So void of talent. And we apparently aren't coaching blocking for running the ball nor how to tackle.
Coach came in late, AND not much NIL to really work with, as best I could tell.
To jump him at this stage, would be totally unfair. We have to work thru the issues.
From all I can tell, he is a good coach.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Coach came in late, AND not much NIL to really work with, as best I could tell.
To jump him at this stage, would be totally unfair. We have to work thru the issues.
From all I can tell, he is a good coach.
I get that but given everything we just saw last year with Arnett. I just don't understand not calling cignetti or somebody that had done something with a team successfully a head like leach to come in and try to fix things. Someone that had done that before. Lebby might turn out to be okay but right now things are pretty painful. He's got a lot to learn and a lot to fix

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Used to, we hired only former Alabama/Bear Bryant assistant coaches and at discount pricing. I think we had three in a row under LT.
The coaches now are way front-end overpaid. They don't have to win to be millionaires.

cling84

Aug 22, 2012
Mississippi State has the smallest athletic budget in the nation's poorest state. The only other SEC team that is less than us is Vandy -- and they are more on the academic side. Ole Miss has doctors and lawyers to support their teams.-- the best we can hope for is a wealthy self-made entrepreneur. Being in the SEC brings some prestige but if the other schools decide to cut teams MSU will be gone. Someone else pointed out earlier that great seasons are rare -- and that is what it will always be...

This year will mark 40 years since I graduated from MSU and in that time there have been many bad seasons. No matter what is done, our alma mater does not have the population, finances, or wealthy support to be more than an occasional "flash-in-the-pan" season. I give you youngsters props for maintaining the flame of hope even with the odds against Bulldog fans...

On a related note hiring assistant coaches with no head coaching experience of running a program at ANY level can never work at a school competing in the most talented conference in the NCAA...

Reactions: MSUDOG24
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login